Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies > Scanner Darkly, A (2006)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Scanner Darkly, A (2006)

In a drug-infested world where 20% of the population are government spies, a reluctant recruit is ordered to snoop on his friends. | guide

Old Jul 3, 2006, 04:30 PM   #1
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Unhappy Oh no!

This potential masterpiece is getting mixed reviews on Rotten Tomatoes!

55% Fresh
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000
Re: Oh no!

Well if it is going to be half as inteligent as Waking life I think it would be good.

Also I think that since he is using rotoscopy technique it was unnecessary to cast any famous actors. They just distract from the story.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

There's one review I'll ignore...

"Scene after scene of verbose fiddle-faddle: Characters orate at each other, while sitting in cars, sitting at dining tables, sitting in living rooms, sitting at office desks. The film might be better titled The Big Sit."
-- Duane Byrge, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

Pah. It's not meant to be an action movie. In the original novel, the characters do actually sit around and do nothing in a house/car/restaurant. Plus, in most Linklater movies, characters actually sit round and talk for ages. As long as the dialogue is well-written, it could be fun.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by Nexus
There's one review I'll ignore...

"Scene after scene of verbose fiddle-faddle: Characters orate at each other, while sitting in cars, sitting at dining tables, sitting in living rooms, sitting at office desks. The film might be better titled The Big Sit."
-- Duane Byrge, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

Pah. It's not meant to be an action movie. In the original novel, the characters do actually sit around and do nothing in a house/car/restaurant. Plus, in most Linklater movies, characters actually sit round and talk for ages. As long as the dialogue is well-written, it could be fun.

Exactly. As Long as we get mind-numbing-indepth dialogue I am happy.

You can't expect less from Linklater.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 05:24 PM   #5
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

You care what others think too much. How many 'now classic' movies were slated originaly or largely ignored?
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 05:40 PM   #6
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

I find reviews useful, even if they can be "wrong". It's mainly so I'm prepared on what kind of film it is. Sometimes they list objective points as well as subjective ones, such as describing the style, themes I might find interesting, and so on. "There are boring scenes where characters just sit around the talk" is something I will ignore, but I will make note of something like, "There are long scenes of dialogue and no action."

A good example is your review of X3. You told me to go in expecting a fun, mindless action movie, instead of something more. Your review also warned that Dark Phoenix didn't do very much, so I could forget about watching the film soley for that. SO I went and saw the film with your review in mind, and I enjoyed the film much more than I would have if I did not read your warning.

Another example - Vanilla Sky. It wa promoted as some sort of "love triangle" Tom Cruise vehicle. My mum judged the film from its trailers, saw it and told me she hated the film and it confused her. I had no interest in seeing it until I read a review (I think in Empire) that told me it had a science fiction twist, and if I enjoy films involving reality-warping mindfu*kery, I should like it. And I did. The review also mentioned it was a remake (a secret the trailers didn't tell us; bloody typical), so I went out and purchased the remake afterwards, and I enjoyed that even more.

IMDb's "Keywords" feature is also useful for picky people like me...
Old Jul 3, 2006, 05:49 PM   #7
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Johnothan Ross is the only reviewer I trust worth a damn. If I disagree with him, I know I'm wrong.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 05:54 PM   #8
Seraph

I like Ross, he's a fan fan. Can generaly feel some things out from reviews, RT ratings don't trust though (albiet slightly more than IMDB), just a popularity game.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 06:00 PM   #9
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Quote:
Originally posted by jill_valentine
Johnothan Ross is the only reviewer I trust worth a damn. If I disagree with him, I know I'm wrong.

He called Batman Forever "one of the greatest films ever made"...
Old Jul 3, 2006, 06:03 PM   #10
Seraph

Heheh See? A fan fan.

Important thing is he never takes himself seriously and he's pretty amusing to boot.

Still like the look of Scanner but I'm not gonna build my hopes up, ok yeah I want Ryder to make decent films again and it does have Downey in it but still....the chickens are pre-math.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 09:36 PM   #11
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Never fear, its excelent. One of the best movies of the summer so far. I loved the animation style, and the way it all moved and worked together to make a live action comic almost.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Seraph

Cool, we don't get it till the 18th, I'm such an easy touch for pretty visuals but I keep trying to not build it up too much.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 08:21 PM   #13
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

I'm gonna take your word on this, Tack, but if your wrong...so help me, if your wrong i'll piss and moan till your gouge your eyes out so that you won't be able to read it anymore!
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 06:24 AM   #14
Seraph

TV spots have started playing over here and the fluidity of the cell animation (whateveryamacallit) is practically making me drool - it looks so damn pretty, screw your head up, but still so pretty.

~sigh~ It'll suck.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 06:28 AM   #15
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Must watch, must watch, must watch.

Now to con someone into going cinema with me when it comes out...
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies > Scanner Darkly, A (2006)