Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Jul 1, 2004, 01:50 PM   #76
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Re: Vampiric Flops and Flights: Underworld, Queen of the Damned

Yep, they were both in it, and Slater's character, David? Daniel? was made a vamp later, by either Lestat or Armand, can't remember. I'll have to reread the books
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 09:04 PM   #77
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

So to anyone who knows, if I were to dive into Anne Rice, where exactly would I start?
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 09:36 AM   #78
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

'The Vampire Lestat' would be the best place, 'IWTV' showed everything from Louis' point of view, so of course he's biased in what he remembers happening. Lestat's version of events and the rest of his life are far more entertaining
Old Aug 12, 2004, 07:02 PM   #79
mack
misanthrope

I finally finished IWTV and wow was THAT depressing.

I could drone on and on in a heavily romanticized what does it all mean, but what is the point?

life sucks, and then you die. Whoops. Sometimes you dont even get to be put out of your misery.

As an anecdotal fact, Anne Rice was a homemaker who apparently started writing after her (only?) child died. She expressed in an interview once that people only take certain life paths after dealing with a great tragedy. Her tragedy was the death of her (daughter?), and her "new" life path was writing.

It is somewhat morbid, but I was wondering the entire time I read the book whether apart from the obvious vampiric "lover" component whether Claudia was to Louis what her daughter was to her, in a loosely defined way.

I dont see how the film itself departed from the book, because they were largely the same. Of course the book was able to convey the imaginary world better---books always do. Id only go so far as to say the book was richer in emotional overtones, as Louis is telling the story of his life, and attempting to express the meaning of all that occurred in the past.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:09 PM   #80
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Wait until you read 'The Vampire Lestat' and then 'Queen', you'll see major differences.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:21 PM   #81
mack
misanthrope

Louis is a romantic, and while I dont begrudge him that (how can I? ), I think it was so correctly stated when he was like I have wronged Lestat. Understatement, buddy. Who isnt a lost child? But before I drone on and on about the qualifications/ramifications of "parenthood," Ill get back to the movies:

Tom Cruise was PERFECT for Lestat! I cant think of a better man to encompass and epitomize the sheer arrogancy and bragadaccio that was the essence of the Lestat character. Here is a man that practically swaggered down the street, complete in his own self-arrogance, and let me tell you, TOM CRUISE is that man! To a T.

With Tommy boy in mind, I actually look forward to reading The Vampire Lestat.....
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:31 PM   #82
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Good woman Have fun. You will definately be enlightened

I've always said that Tom was great as Lestat
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:39 PM   #83
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by Prividenie_
--INFO SOURCE--
Run B!tch Run

such a thing exists?
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:48 PM   #84
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by OptimusPrime75
I've always said that Tom was great as Lestat

Yes! Oh god--they really went downhill when they got Stuart Townsend to play Lestat in QOTD. They should have popped for TC. Townsend did not convey ANY of the swagger that Lestat supposedly had. Although.....we did only see Lestat "swagger" through Louis' eyes.... Maybe in his own story, he doesnt remember himself as bold and arrogant?
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:13 PM   #85
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Oh he does, believe me. The Brat Prince thinks he's all that LOL
Old Aug 26, 2004, 04:18 PM   #86
Quintessa
Sector Marshall
875 flights since Jul 2004

It is true, in many novel Lestat refers to himself as the "Brat Prince" And, the most unholy of all trespasses, he has numerously refered to himself having blue eyes and blond hair. not black hair brown eyes.
Quintessa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 04:21 PM   #87
Quintessa
Sector Marshall

Quote:
Originally posted by OptimusPrime75
okay, lets clarify:

Interview with the Vampire

Tom Cruise = Lestat: who was made a vamp late 1600's-early 1700's. Also Marius had absolutely nothing!!! to do with Lestat's turn to the darkside His backstory was filled in beginning with 'The Vampire Lestat'. Lestat had made a couple of vampire companions long before Louis, including Nicholas, his best friend in life, and his own mother, Gabriel.

Brad Pitt = Louis: who was made a vamp late 1700's by Lestat

Queen of the Damned

Lestat = Stuart Townsend
Louis = Some no name actor

I would like to add something about Marius. HE's dead. HE didn't tell Lestat anything but the very basic. Coffin and no light. Then, Marius threw himself into fire. Then, lestats scattered the ashes as instructed. No more Marius. Especially not in the QoTD.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 04:25 PM   #88
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

you wanna try that again, Quint? Marius isn't dead. What do you think Blood and Gold is about?
Old Aug 26, 2004, 04:46 PM   #89
Quintessa
Sector Marshall

I'm at Wampire armand... Blood and gold hasn't been read yet. As far as you know, though, in relation to reading QotD, Marius is dead. Now, I may need a refresher course because it been a while, but am I not correct there? And if MArius is alive, how did he get to be so. And, I am right about the film having all this places where Marius shows up, but he never show up in the actual book? And wasn't someone else in charge of Akasha and her husbend, not Marius? And MArius never really taught Lestat like in the movie did he?
Old Aug 26, 2004, 06:48 PM   #90
mack
misanthrope

You know--for all its worth, Anne Rice is far blander than I thought at first. Hamilton and Blake are much more rowdy. Id even go so far as to say that Anne Rice has a kind of classy distance from the events that happen in her stories, whereas Hamilton has you up close and personal, down and dirty in the nitty gritty elements of the story.

Anne is more of a romantic, I think.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy