Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Transformers (1986, 2006) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Transformers (1986, 2006) [movie series]

Beyond good. Beyond evil. Beyond your wildest imagination.

Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:28 PM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Will Transformers Save Michael Bay?

Yes, yes, yes, I know that awesome trailers do not = awesome movies. But come on, the trailers for this summers Transformers look absolutely amazing. Man have they all but erased the line between CGI and reality on film! I am definately seeing this one and hey, maybe Michael Bay has taken his criticism to heart. I saw no emotionally sappy sceneage, no ridiculous icnographic imagery, can't even tell if he's still using the MTV style quick cut music video thing, but maybe not.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Re: Will Transformers Save Michael Bay?

Hard to say, the novelization of the movie had some lovey dovey with Sam and that girl. Mostly since he doesn't actually have the girl yet and its an attaction in the making. Kinda like the first Spidey film.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 07:48 PM   #3
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! LINKIN PARK!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Oh no. Oh no, oh no. Linkin Park on a trailer. Linkin Park's What I've Done on a trailer. Are we being invaded by Decepticons or man's general inhumanity to man? Ugh.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 09:54 AM   #4
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

What, no reviews yet? Op? You seen it?

I saw it yesterday and I have to say that yes, this indeed is what Michael Bay does best - mindless, shallow, thirll a minute, blow you away action. No deep significance here - just explosions and gun fights and some of the best damn CGI I've ever seen. I seem to recall the cartoons and didn't they have this slow, methodical tranformation process. Man, this blows that away. Plane one second, robot the next, seems absurd, it is, and yet it looks totally plausable and real. If an F16 were going to turn into a massive robot in 2.2 seconds, this is what it would look like.

Great movie, just what the doctor ordered for a summer full of heavy handed, lackluster fare.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWiredSith
What, no reviews yet? Op? You seen it?

I saw it yesterday and I have to say that yes, this indeed is what Michael Bay does best - mindless, shallow, thirll a minute, blow you away action. No deep significance here - just explosions and gun fights and some of the best damn CGI I've ever seen. I seem to recall the cartoons and didn't they have this slow, methodical tranformation process. Man, this blows that away. Plane one second, robot the next, seems absurd, it is, and yet it looks totally plausable and real. If an F16 were going to turn into a massive robot in 2.2 seconds, this is what it would look like.

Great movie, just what the doctor ordered for a summer full of heavy handed, lackluster fare.

Oh, I've seen it, twice, the preview show on the 2nd, and Friday. All right here are my impressions. Beware of Spoilers.

Overall, I was very impressed, it was full of actiony packed goodness. However, the problem is the story, with the large gaps that were filled in provided you were able to read the 4 issue prequel set on Cybertron thousands of years ago, we see the Allspark get ejected into space, and how Bumblebee loses his voice module.

Then we have the prequel novel 'Ghosts of Yesterday' written by Alan Dean Foster, set in 1969, here we find out that Megatron is being sought by KGB agents as he's being moved from the Arctic to Hoover Dam. Also, the Apollo mission to the Moon wasn't the only launch that happened. A far more advanced human spacecraft, using Megatron's technology, was launched and lost in deep space. Where they run into the Decepticons, led by Starscream and eventually the Autobots. This is how both factions discover where the Allspark is.

Another problem I had was character development, particularly the Decepticons. They barely spoke and Starscream, the leader in Megatron's absence, had one line. Prime and Bumblebee were the most explored characters on the Autobot side. When Megatron killed Jazz, you barely had time to register his death and you didn't feel it.

The fight scenes were far too choppy, short and spent too much time going back to the human point of view. Hearing Optimus say 'One shall stand, one shall fall' was great, except we were subjected to watching Sam crawl through the broken pavement. According to the book, after Prime finished off Bonecrusher, he was attacked by Barricade, which tells us why he took so long getting to the fight with Megatron.

The Decepticon Frenzy reminded me too much off Jar-Jar Binks. He started off interesting and then he turned into comedy relief. The 1986 movie was far more serious and 1000 times better written, this movie was far too comedic and was hard to take seriously. Look at the clown Simmons from Sector 7.

Concerning the voices I was mostly happy with them. Peter Cullen, obviously was great having back as Prime. However, I personally think they should have let him do Ironhide again as well.

Jazz, eh, I think the voice actor did a poor job of channelling Scatman Crothers who died in 1986.

For as little as Bumblebee spoke, I think they could have used Dan Gilvezan at the end of the movie, the novelization for the movie didn't even have him speak at the end.

As for Ratchet, with Don Messick passing back in 1997, obviously we couldn't get him to return to the role, however, the new voice didn't sound too bad.

As most people have said Frank Welker should have been Megatron, period. He was also the voice of Frenzy in the cartoon, so he could have been used for him as well. Frenzy didn't talk much, but Welker did all of Ravage's growls in the cartoon, he could have handled Frenzy's gibberish.

Charlie Adler, being a veteran of the original cartoon, having done Silverbolt's voice, along with other additional voices, did his best at channeling Chris Latta, despite having only one line.

I think Barricade's voice was overacted but wasn't all that distinctive.

Did Brawl (even though they mistyped him as Devastator), Bonecrusher or Blackout even speak in the film? No character development. Starscream being the only one to 'supposedly' survive the battle is pure Starscream, I'm sure next time we'll see more from him.

Again, it was movie itself was the best I've ever seen Michael Bay direct, and I can only hope that whoever directs the sequel takes a better approach.

Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Arcee
Pilot
40 flights since Oct 2006

I saw it Tuesday night as well. Every showing from 8pm to 12am was sold out.
It showed every 40 minutes. It was awesome I have to admit when I heard Micheal Bay was directing it. I was like NOOOOO! Then I heard Peter Cullen was playing Prime's voice again, I had to see it. I am going to see it again I have free movie tickets.
Micheal Bay is ok in my book now!
Arcee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 08:28 AM   #7
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

I watched this movie twice now, and as you know, I have a rabid hatred for Bay. But on the other hand, I also have a fierce love for Transformers.

So here's my impression, copy/pasted from my LJ.

Got back from watching "Transformers" a few hours ago with Kat.

And surprise, it didn't suck. Ever since I heard Michael Bay was attached to the project, I feared we'd have another ****ing pile of rancid ****, like every... single... one... of his "movies". Armageddon. The Rock. Bad Boys. The Island. Pearl-****ing-Harbor.

But in comes Steven Spielberg as producer (at the studio's demand, I suspect), to reign in Bay's MTV-style of filming, composed mostly of slow-motion shots, lots of fizzy, swirly fireworks, and up-angle-rotating-camera-around-the-hero-with-the-Red-White-and-Blue-in-the-background. And it shows. There are still a couple of cringe-worthy Michael Bay moments, but you can pretty much tell that Spielberg slapped the guy's wrist whenever he was starting to take things too far.

Anyway, the movie was indeed a blast. I had a lot of fun, and there were a couple of times when I got really, you know... nostalgic. Hey, those were my childhood heroes on screen, ok? They say pretty much all the lines that we love to remember, even... *sniff*... "You have failed me yet again, Starscream". And the final battle is simply amazing. As far as action scenes go, this one will be hard to surpass, in face of the crappy competition it faces for the rest of the year. But hey, it's Autobots VS Decepticons, ok? In real-life, with a budget of 50 trillion and the best SFX I've seen in a movie so far. The fact that it rocks EVEN IN A MICHAEL BAY MOVIE shows how hard that scene was to **** up in the first place, given the material they were working with.

The new designs didn't bother me that much, nor did the fact that they didn't bring back the actor that played Megatron in the show. They are all perfectly acceptable concessions that had to be in order for the movie to be taken seriously by the studio. I also liked the fact that they didn't wuss out in the action scenes by having that old "lots of damage, but luckily no one got hurt" gimmick they like to put in comic or cartoon-based movies. People DO die, and in several nasty ways.

I think my only two complaints would be that the first half of the movie is too centered around Bumblebee (no complaint from Kat there) and the Decepticons come in a tad too late. But they more than make up for it.

A final word for the awesomeness of Starscream. I will put up no spoilers, worry not, but this movie shows once and for all just how kick-ass he actually is.

We'll be seeing this again soon.

Now to wait for the sequels.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:30 AM   #8
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

it's entertaining, granted, but it's still not transformers till the last half of the film. most of the time it's
Witwicky: the movie featuring the transformers! but mostly it's about the boy, and his attempts to get a girl to notice him, with a thousande elephants (a goden donought (stolen from nexus) to whoever gets that reference)

entertaining, but not really transformers, a sequal with less Witwicky , less romance, and more giant robots pound yon crap out of each other , is whats needed.

the autobots are practically personalitlyless, apart from ironhide who is partly confused to what movie he's in and generally sounds like he'd be happier with the decepticons,

Ironhide: Parents are irritating... Should I take 'em out?
Optimus Prime: Ironhide, you know we don't harm humans!
Ironhide: I know, I'm just saying... it's an option...

entertaining, but it goes from typically dire bad jokes, to the "hey lets refrence the classic series" bits, and wastes lots of money on cgi for impressive looking transformers, then neglects the script, hires no-named actors (mostly) to play humans, to make it cheaper than having two hours of robot bashing action.

essentially, the first half of the film = waste of time
last half = what we actually wanted to see

like the opposite of silent hill.

edit: as for megatron's voice, they just wanted to use Hugo Weaving, a dodgey attempt to cash in on the "hey look everyone, it's Weaving, and he's in tranformers, see that, hugo's cool right, everyone likes agent elrond v smith, now it can be agent elrond v smithsatron. cool right? yeah we went there, we're cool. see our movie." in a vain attempt to convince the people who missed out on transformers the first time round. even David Kaye would have been a better choice.

Last edited by Darth Bob : Jul 14, 2007 at 11:40 AM.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 09:02 AM   #9
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

This is pretty accurate comic of it.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=241
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Transformers (1986, 2006) [movie series]