Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Rated G... But may be too intense for younger children. | guide

Old Nov 18, 2000, 12:14 AM   #1
snake
Recruit Pilot
5 flights since Nov 2000
Re: This is my favourite film of all time

Oh, the joys of "The Andromeda Strain" are limitless! Everything that Robert Wise used to totally botch "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" elevated "TAS" to perfection. The antiseptic nature of it! That sense of detachment through video screens and white clothing! Arthur Hill! Wow! This movie is the height of late 60's-early 70's paranoia!
The scenes of the disease replicating are still terribly creepy... as is David Wayne's attempt at martyrdom.
Why does no one talk about this movie anymore? It's out on DVD-- check it out if you never have. It makes "Outbreak" look like "Dragonheart--A New Beginning."
snake is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2001, 12:23 PM   #2
marty
Apprentice
2 flights since Feb 2001

Just another agreement. This is a great, overlooked movie. Watching it in 2001 is a reminder just how bad most Hollywood action movies are - due to the financial need to pander to the broadest (i.e. teenage) audience possible. This film would never be made today. Sphere - which had a very similar Chricton plot (I'm misspelling his name aren't I) was almost unwatchable (but I don't want to just blame that on the 90s - and I do realize there was a lot of crap in the 70s...Rabbit Test anyone?)

The Terminal Man is another well done Chricton adaptation that illustrates the lost qualities of 70s movie-making. It has a single, simple climax and conclusion without the ridiculous need to keep bringing the villian back from near death to startle the audience one more time. George Segal is killed and the camera slowly pulls away, and you are left with your thoughts. A poignant moment.

The earlier comments about Robert Wise's approach in The Andromeda Strain nearly suffocating Star Trek are another good point.
marty is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2001, 03:37 AM   #3
Eowyn
Wing Commander
162 flights since Jan 2001

I have recently seen this for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. This really is top sci-fi stuff.

The wild-fire labs were so cool, round corridors painted all in red with the 5 levels of decontamination. They even stripped the scientists top levels of skin as part of the process!

I liked it too because it wan't too complex, you could understand the science behind it.

And I was on the edge of my seat during the countdown to self destruct.

I also agree that Sphere is just not up to the same standard.
Eowyn is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2001, 04:29 AM   #4
Eowyn
Wing Commander
162 flights since Jan 2001

I really liked the camera effects too.

When the 2 scientists were sent into Peidmont to retrieve the dish. They did a split screen where you could see them looking in the windows and what they could see, quite disturbing images of people lying dead where they fell.
Eowyn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2001, 09:45 PM   #5
Unregistered
n/a flights since

...is, next to *2001*, the best sf film ever!

Wordsmith : )
Old Jan 11, 2002, 11:12 PM   #6
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Hi all,

I first saw The Andromeda Strain when I was but nine years old in 1993 - it's been my firm favourite ever since.

It is a completely unique, beautifully made movie with a stunning score and a great attention to detail not often seen in today's examples of the genre.

:-)

Cheers
Danny
Old Jan 14, 2002, 07:16 AM   #7
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001
Thumbs up Andromeda Strain is one of the great scifi films!

I agree! The Andromeda Strain is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, science fictions films ever made. The script is excellent. The cast ensemble works wonderfully together. There is a large amount of science in the story. The story is full of science and scientific theory. It is made to seem so real because it involves long and hard scientific study and lab work. Yet, the film is still exciting and suspenseful. I saw this film in the movie theatre when it was released in the early 1970's. I have seen it dozens of times since. I still enjoy watching it today. It is possibly my favorite of all scifi films.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2002, 11:07 PM   #8
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001
Thumbs up GREAT SciFi Film!!!!!

The Andromeda Strain is often overlooked now that it has been 30 years since it was released. Yet, it is still the best of scifi films that is truely scientific. Many scifi fans of today may not care for the film since there are no monsterous aliens, exotic spaceships, robots, space wars or alien worlds. I saw this movie when it was first released. I have seen it numerous times since on tv and video. I have committed most, if not all the film, to memory. I can quote many moments of the film by heart. This is a suspenseful and frightening movie. There is no alien or predator to battle in this film. There is just a mircoscopic extra-terrestrial organism that can crystallize blood to power is seconds killing any man or animal that breaths it in. No fast shooting heroes can stop this alien virus. No blaster, laser or phaser will save the day against Andromeda. Only logic and hours of scientific work can hope to find a method to kill or cure Andromeda. The four scientists seem much more realistic in this film than the gun slinging scifi heroes of more recent films. The mixture of science, politics and the military add a great deal of realism to this film. It makes it feel much more like this could happen. I could go on a lot longer about this film. Personally, I believe that "The Andromeda Strain" is possibly the best science fiction film ever made.

I will end this post with a quote from the film...

"There are now Five minutes to self-destruct."

cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2002, 04:45 PM   #9
thx-1138
Apprentice
4 flights since Jan 2002

this captures the spectacle of early seveties space travel and science, while maintaining a real life plausible feel. the classic 70's montage scenes and blatant lack of respect for the government is what makes the film so real. the real goal of a sci fi film is to have you wondering what if? what if this happened what would you do etc. and the other is to make it time less. its hard in sci fi. many movies centred aroung this time have been made silly by the truth of our advancements (2001 anybody?) but this movie seem as if it could have happened two year after we landed on the moon or tommoro or 35 years from now. damn good show. damn good show indeed.
thx-1138 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2002, 04:15 PM   #10
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001
Thumbs up Great film!!!

Hello I just saw the film over the weekend because I am now watching all of the sci fi oldies classics and figured what better place to start then here? I loved everything about the film. But Cabalcombs obbsession with this film is equal to my obsession with Predator. This movie proved along with Close Encounters of the Third Kind and E.T that you don't need blood, explosions and special effects to make a great movie. I think that the current sci fi's are good and as releuctant as I am to say that this is the best sci fi over Predator, T2 and Matrix. It truly is because it has a somewhat of logical storyline. And it keeps you thinking and guessing throughout the whole movie. Quality movie all around. I enjoyed it thourughly!
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2002, 09:42 PM   #11
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002

Oogaphlub is right. Special effect movies CAN be good, but I prefer the older, more mundane science-fiction movies, like AS.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2002, 09:49 PM   #12
BalrogTim
X

WOAH!?!?! How can you say that about ED I?!?! It was far superior to ED II?!?!! Army of Darkness wasn't even in the same genre as the first two! There is something amiss.....
Old Apr 30, 2002, 07:20 AM   #13
Charlie
Wing Commander
342 flights since Mar 2002

I am in total agreement with you all . The Andromeda Strain is an exceptional film. It is still relevant and accessible to todays audience, especially in a time when we are concerned with contamination and containment of viruses etc. Unfortunately it rarely gets screened unlike some of the mediocre sci fi offerings we can think of. Is it really 30 years or more since it was filmed ?
Charlie is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2002, 06:06 PM   #14
BalrogTim
X

Does anyone think it would be a good or bad idea to re-film it. I personally say leave it. Do not soil a masterpiece with a crapshoot.
Old May 3, 2002, 06:09 PM   #15
BalrogTim
X

I'll agree. For its time, it was a masterpiece. It blended together all the elements needed to make a successful classic. It is one of those movies that you can watch without getting bored(well, I wasn't bored).

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)