Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Rated G... But may be too intense for younger children. | guide

Old Feb 18, 2001, 06:17 AM   #1
toma
Pilot
15 flights since Feb 2001
Question Re: a glimps of the future?

What is NASA up to today?
There is an actual mission(s) to retrieve space partials and return them to earth...
I guess the NASA brass don't watch many sci-fi flicks.
NASA wants to bring back a mars sample and a comet sample too. (posted in sky & telescope magazine's)

The movie's use of "laser's" was better in tuned with the future, than the books "dart gun" for core defense...

over all, I really liked the movie... (some parts were slow, but, so is the real government in action)
toma is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2001, 09:52 PM   #2
skunky
Apprentice
1 flights since Jun 2001
Unhappy vandenberg afb

NASA was definately up to something while I lived next to Vandenberg AFB. Quarterly rocket launches were of the norm, and usually of the secret type. Look up their homepage and make your own mind concerning the possibility of a modern day Scoop mission..........."time now 2153 conclusive."
skunky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2002, 09:36 PM   #3
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002
Re: a glimps of the future?

Any idea what they were up to? - That's always been my favorite primis, the govenment doing fishy stuff, and a rgular guy finds out, and trys to blow the whistle, so the men in black chase em' down...
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2002, 05:29 PM   #4
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Well I guess that happened all the time in the 60's or so my social studies teacher who wasn't even alive until 1976 says. Some normal person finds out, government knows who. Then they either shoot him or make him join them....
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2002, 09:19 PM   #5
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002

The government controls all. Plain and simple. As to the movie, I loved every minute of it. The book was slightly better, but I think the movie conveyed the horror of stellar contamination.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 04:25 PM   #6
Gildamere
Wing Commander
192 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by toma

The movie's use of "laser's" was better in tuned with the future, than the books "dart gun" for core defense...

errr... as Crichton is an SF writer with emphasis on Science, it is absolutely correct to have the dart guns as core defense. First of all, it's non-lethal. And secondly, a laser does not make much of a weapon in our real world. The "Laser Gun" is an invention of the SF industry for lack of a better futuristic weapon.

Nonetheless I do like a good laser blast as a special effect in the movies (YEAH BABY), so ignoring your physics lessons is quite allright when it comes to visual presentation, but it would have not been Crichton to have these unrealistic things in his books...
Gildamere is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 12:42 AM   #7
Phlub
The Head Hunter

How can you say lasers are an unrealistic premise?

I find that very...sad, no uh...disturbing.....no I got it, CONFUSING.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 09:35 AM   #8
Gildamere
Wing Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Oogaphlub
How can you say lasers are an unrealistic premise?

Laser as a WEAPON is unrealistic. As far as I know, lasers are "just" coherent light, and a laser does not have the power to burn through things a shown in various movies. The most common application for lasers is in measuring things (mainly distance and speed) or (eye)surgery. And last but not least, you can't see laserlight without smoke or something. That's the reason why lasersights on guns don't project a beam.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 01:32 PM   #9
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Yes all very valid points.

But the only way we would need to have lasers to work is to have some way to actually "heat up" or make the lasers hot. So then you are shooting "hot light" at someone or something. Kind of confusing at first, but think about it and you will understand.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 08:19 PM   #10
Gildamere
Wing Commander

as I said before, I don't have problems with laser weapons of any kind in SF movies, but it's not like Crichton to have that stuff in his novels.

One of the best laser effects were that of Babylon 5, they really kicked butt.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 11:22 PM   #11
Phlub
The Head Hunter

What about Star Wars and Predator? They all had very good special effects as far as lasers and plasma goes.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 07:51 AM   #12
Gildamere
Wing Commander

In Bab 5 the lasers cut large chunks out of enemy ships, not this blast and explosion thing. After all a laser is more like a ray of light than a "packet" that travels slower than lightspeed.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 10:12 PM   #13
Phlub
The Head Hunter

I know. But whats the difference?

I mean Star Wars and Predator had FAR BETTER lasers then Babylon 5. Far better. That isnt even up for debate.

But if this movie were made today, what effects would be in it?
Old Jul 26, 2003, 06:43 AM   #14
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

Um... A focused Laser can indeed burn holes through metal and people. Alot of factories use them for metal cutting, along with the interesting "hydro-laser" (uses super pressurized water fired at sufficient power to cut sheet metal like butter at the higher settings. Though apparently theres a version lower powered that will cut stuff like styrofoam but not skin...) Military has been demonstrating laser weapons for a good while now and they are meing used more and more in surgery for some cases where bleeding could be a problem (The laser cauterizes blood vessels so bleeding is minimal) Lasers have also been used to successfully shoot missles out of the air in tests.

Hope that helps clear up that lasers are now no-longer Sci-Fi toys

Omega2064

Quote:
Originally posted by Gildamere

Laser as a WEAPON is unrealistic. As far as I know, lasers are "just" coherent light, and a laser does not have the power to burn through things a shown in various movies. The most common application for lasers is in measuring things (mainly distance and speed) or (eye)surgery. And last but not least, you can't see laserlight without smoke or something. That's the reason why lasersights on guns don't project a beam.
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 06:46 AM   #15
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

Those are "plasma" guns. and other SF tricks when its a "packet" type effect. Also Ball lightning effects that are plasma travel at about those speeds.

Omega2064

Quote:
Originally posted by Gildamere
In Bab 5 the lasers cut large chunks out of enemy ships, not this blast and explosion thing. After all a laser is more like a ray of light than a "packet" that travels slower than lightspeed.
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)