Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

The human adventure is just beginning. | TMP guide

Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003
Star Trek: Original TV Series Question

Ok after it was on when I was a kid, somehow I always seem to manage to catch the same flipping episode that confused the heck out of me. I see Spock, there is no Kirk, no Bones (unless I missed him) and big bulgring brain people.

I must have seen this ep about 3 times now. Basically Spocks ship (I'm assuming it is still the Enterprise?), finds a planet, the big brain people have been shepherding (breeding, playing god etc) the survivors of an old exploratory space mission.

What's going on? Is this a pilot and Kirk replaced him (Caption guy?)?
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Re: Star Trek: Original TV Series Question

Correct, this was the original Star Trek pilot episode 'The Cage' with Jeffrey Hunter playing Captain Chris Pike, and Majel Barrett as the first officer. This episode was considered too cerebral for TV audiences and too liberal in the respect of having a female in such a high command position at the time and was eventually discarded, until Shatner was cast as the new Captainand various scenes from the episode were cut into an episode with Spock on trial called 'The Menagerie'.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:05 AM   #3
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Yeah having watched it this time, I was suprised by how much a voice the females characters had (as opposed to being the voice of the starship O'hura however you spell it). 3 female characters playing off 2 males, yes a little bit of semi-romantic tension but worlds way from Kirk's "Line them up and I'll take them approach". Not to mention the playing on themes such as self determination, freedom, independance etc.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:48 PM   #4
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I have a copy of the original B&W pilot episode along with "The Cage" on VHS somewhere. A pretty good episode even though it was a little heady. Spock was more like a Klingon than a Vulcan and sported this odd looking haircut.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]