Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

The Ultimate Trip. | guide

Old Feb 11, 2001, 01:12 PM   #1
XRayDeltaOne
Recruit Pilot
12 flights since Feb 2001
Post Re: Errors in "2001: A Space Odyssey"

An intriguiging subject for any film student is on-screen errors, both large and small. One notices the slave child in the film "Glory" waving to the 54th Massachusetts troops...he is wearing a digital watch.
In "2001," Dave Bowman uses different hands to turn off the communication switches in the pod, as has been duly noted in this forum. Too, when he enters the emergency airlock and dons the new helmet, notice the large chip missing from it above his right eye...the same location where Frank Poole's helmet strikes the space pod arm during the earlier rescue. And when Dave enters HAL's CPU area, his left glove is separated, clearly showing his bare left wrist.
There are some others, like the amount of room in the pod bay that could not possibly contain all the things that are shown, and the wrong space pod (based on the presence of pod bay doors) being shown as Dave enters to rescue Frank. Also, notice when the "Orion" spacecraft is on approach to the space station. It is on final approach, aligned with the docking bay....but the computer tracking display is still rotating! And, when the lunar bus lands at TMA-1, the same display shown on the flightdeck reappears at the landing station, but about ten seconds behind. Note, too, that the perspective of the flightdeck on the Aries 1-B lunar lander could not possibly make sense...from an approach perspective, nor from the entry of the PanAm stewardess.
Any more? Let us all know!!
No matter what, GREAT film!!!

Last edited by XRayDeltaOne : Mar 16, 2001 at 10:26 AM.
XRayDeltaOne is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2001, 07:44 PM   #2
Grant
Pilot
40 flights since Jan 2001
Re: Errors in "2001: A Space Odyssey"

I haven't really found any errors in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, but LOL at the Glory comment...
Grant is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2001, 03:58 PM   #3
NebuchadnezzaR
Wing Commander
162 flights since Jan 2001
finds

There is one where the food on Daves tray switch places. I found a list some where once. If you search for 2001: A space Odyssey in yahoo a site comes up ...

Any way it took some time to find but its there.

NebuchadnezzaR
NebuchadnezzaR is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2001, 10:29 PM   #4
AJ1224
Recruit Pilot
6 flights since Feb 2001
Smile Physical Errors

How about this error: When Dr. Floyd drinks his orange juice on his flight to the moon. The juice in the straw is pulled down by gravity, when there isn't supposed to be any gravity on the moonbus. Any more physics errors ya'll can think of?
AJ1224 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2001, 12:40 PM   #5
Hell Spawn
Wing Commander
277 flights since Mar 2001
Talking errors

The only fairly large error that i could see was when they were on the moon and in the space craft they had way too much gravity then what there actually is on the moon. I think another large error is just the speed that the discovery was at, the crew wouldnt be able to nicely sit down, think about they were going hundreds of miles (knots) an hr, plus the speed was ever increasing, and it took 2 yrs to get to jupitor, they wouldve been in the million range. When the black bird goes two thousand the pilots need a special thing...
Hell Spawn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2001, 04:42 PM   #6
Mark Apoapsis
Recruit Pilot
6 flights since Mar 2001
Gravity

A spacecraft that is not accelerating has no gravity at all. (Discovery 1 has its engines off; they would be fired again to slow down for Jupiter orbital insertion.) The crew would be weightless, just as Heywood Floyd was on his Pan Am flight to the station, except that part of the ship is a centrifuge that spins and pulls them down, just like a weight tied to the end of a string and spun around. Same thing on the station. Unlike the ISS in the real world, it spins to provide "gravity".

The first post-Stone-Age scene shows a closeup of the Grip Shods the flight attendant (excuse me, the "stewardess") is wearing as she walks down the aisle (as carefully as if she hasn't done it every day of her career). Later, they don't rub the lack of gravity in your face so much, but if you look carefully, you'll see that Frank and Dave carefully step on dark pads when walking across the pod bay. There's even a brief scene showing them at right angles to each other as they prepare for the first EVA.

It doesn't matter how fast you're traveling relative to something else, only how much you're accelerating. People can drink coffee in a car speeding down the highway without the drink splashing in their faces at 100 km/hr -- unless they're in a convertable with the top down. Discovery is traveling rapidly in an orbit around the sun, but so is Earth.

You're right that the people on the moon don't move anything like the astronauts did a year after the movie was made. But that doesn't count as a mistake, since no space movie or TV show has ever been able to simulate low gravity for scenes on the moon and Mars. (Consider Babylon 5, which was otherwise very good.) Also, the centrifuge is not spinning nearly fast enough to provide Earth gravity. I actually timed it (from the scene where HAL watches Dave enter the spinning hub) and estimated the radius (as he climbs down the ladder), and looked up the appropriate formula. I did this not just out of curiosity, but because I was writing a fan fiction story, "Alternatives" set in the alternate history depicted in the movie. (It's a adults-only story, and although it's fairly softcore it won't be of interest to most of you.) I decided to assume that it's really spinning faster than shown in the movie. But I couldn't see any reason they'd spin it any faster than needed for lunar-equivalent gravity, since they've had people living successfully on the moon for years. This opened up a lot of story possibilities involving horseplay not possible on Earth and the need for regular exercise, like it or not. I know it's unusual to work a mathematical formula in order to write an erotic story, but Dave and Frank's initial situation has intrigued me since I first saw the movie.
Mark Apoapsis is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2001, 07:24 PM   #7
Grant
Pilot
40 flights since Jan 2001

Holy **** Mark, now that's some technical thinking.
Grant is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2001, 09:35 PM   #8
Hell Spawn
Wing Commander
277 flights since Mar 2001
Talking errors

I know I understand that if HAL (discovery) was going @ a constant speed everything would be fine b/c everbody would going the same speed, but this is not the situation. The reason is the same reason a lill dinky satillite will go faster then any movement object on earth. There's no friction. HAL has to use the gas for two things, going, braking, and leaving (in relation to jupitor) the reason it's only going to take the happy passengers only two yrs to get to jupitor is cause discovery will easily accelerate over 500,000 mph. If you accelerate in space, b/c there's no friction you will continue to increase until something slows you down (which never does) you said the only time you feel an increase in gravity is during acceleration, well the whole trip is nothing but acceleration. Trust me if they were going only what jets can produce and stayed at a constant speed it would take a tad bit longer to get to jupitor.
Hell Spawn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2001, 03:37 AM   #9
Mark Apoapsis
Recruit Pilot
6 flights since Mar 2001
Gravity

I don't feel like spending too much time solving physics problems here, but if I'm doing the math right, accelerating enough to produce one Earth-gravity until you reach 500,000 mph would take about six hours. (800,000 kph times 1000 m/km divided by 3600 sec/hour, divided by 10 meters per second per second.) Two years would get them to the stars at almost light speed.

Even if I'm calculating that wrong, the Cassini spacecraft that is on its way to Saturn will not relight its engine until it's time for orbital insertion. Trust me on this. Same with the Galileo spacecraft now orbiting Jupiter. It took longer than two years because it went by way of Venus and Earth a couple of times for the gravity assist. Space exploration budgets are a lot smaller in our universe than in the 2001 A Space Odyssey universe. The reason they can't thrust all the way is that they can't carry that much fuel to throw out the back. Rockets have to carry the fuel to carry the fuel to carry the fuel. (Deep Space 1 tested a solar-electric ion drive which really does do continuous thrusting, but the force is about the same as the weight of a sheet of paper. It adds up over time. It shoots individual atoms out, very sparingly but very fast.)

Furthermore, here's the cinematic proof: we get a good look down the throat of the engine, and it's dark.
Old Mar 20, 2001, 03:57 AM   #10
Mark Apoapsis
Recruit Pilot
6 flights since Mar 2001
Sleepwalker

Here's a simple continuity error having nothing to do with science: Frank is on the tanning table, watching a birthday message recorded by his parents. They mention Dave in passing, and we see a closeup of Dave sleeping in his hibernaculum. Presumably, of the two not containing hibernating crew members, Dave's is the one that was not occupied by Frank earlier when he was sketching, right? (Even I assume that each man has his own bunk. )

That means Dave is sleeping near Frank's feet. But a later shot shows an empty hibernaculum at Frank's feet.

Guess Dave got up in the middle of the night to use the zero-gravity urinal. I had fun using the idea in my fanfic story -- that he once got up in the middle of his sleep period, saw Frank asleep on the tanning table, and decided to sketch someone who wasn't wrapped up head to toe. It contributed to the tension and also allowed me to allude to a scene from another famous movie.
Old Jul 29, 2001, 01:33 PM   #11
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Talking Another error in 2001

X-Ray-Delta-1,this is HAL-9000 speaking.

I want to tell you another ERROR! When Dave goes out to examine TMA-2, He used "Alpha"Pod on the left-hand pod bay door(Interior of Discovery-1).But, In the movie the Pod comes out the center door. & the pods should be like this:
Left side (alpha pod) A-pod
Center (beta pod) B-pod
Right (gamma pod)C-pod
(They follow Greek lettering).

In the movie:
Left(B-pod) Center(C-pod&B-pod) Right(G-pod). Hope this ::AE-35:: data can be useful, or my name is "The Prevair Of Useless Knowledge(TPOUK)".

::nuke 2:::: nuke 2:::: nuke 2 ::

Sincerely,
Kyle A. Tekaucic(HAL-9000);-P

P.S The Wormhole in 2001 is called the Stargate so check out this MGM website called www.stargate-sg1.com, which tells you about this show called Stargate-Sg1. It's this show about an Eygptian circle that creates an artifical wormhole and in the year 2012 the Air Force secretly uses the Stargate to travel to different worlds and exchange technology with whatever superior inhabitants the Stargate team known as SG-1 encounters. End Message.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 12:30 PM   #12
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002
wha?

the center of the larger spinning circle deal, you'll notice has a center to it, and it is a round compartment with little pads on the ground that help you get traction while walking and what-not. but anyway, you'll notice that the stewardess (or whatever i should call them) walks into it, and begins walking around to the top- i'm sorry, i reolize that's a bad description, but wouldn't there be no grazity there as that is the center- there is really no outward force there, more pulling in all directions that any definate down- especially considering that the diameter of the cirle compartment deally is almost equal to her hight- i was confused by those scenes, so perhaps- if anyone understood what i was trying to get across with this, can illaberate further
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2002, 09:34 PM   #13
NebuchadnezzaR
Wing Commander
162 flights since Jan 2001

Good point! I didnt realize that one. There would be grvity but very little. I think that the majority of her body mass in on the "bottom" and that is what holds her there. You are right that the diameter of the circle is about her height but I think it would still work. Not that wel but it would work none the less. She would only be held to the floor (area at her feet) by about nothing seeing as the effect on her top would be very slightly less than the effect on her bottom. She would in effect be scraping to keep her feet there. Plus dont stand on your tippy toes cause you would then crash to the other side.

Good Point, Nice Eyes.
NebuchadnezzaR is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2002, 08:05 PM   #14
Unregistered
n/a flights since

But she has the special boots, so gravity doesn't make a difference.
Old Nov 9, 2002, 02:41 AM   #15
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Another 2001 problem

This one has always bothered me.

When Frank and Dave go down to the pod bay, ostensibly to repair the pod's "faulty" radio, they get in - then ask Hal, quite unnecessarily, to rotate the pod 180 degrees once again so that, handily enough, he can see them through the window and lip-read them.

They could always turn the radio off so that they can "test" it, thus avoiding HAL's suspicions.

But why don't they just get in and talk, with the window facing away from HAL?

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)