Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Destination Moon (1950)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Destination Moon (1950)

Two years in the making!

Old Jul 13, 2005, 08:59 AM   #1
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005
Watched D.M. last night

I saw Destination Moon last night. It won an Academy Award in 1950 for Best Special Effects. It is also based off of a Robert Heinlen book and he co-wrote the movie script.

Watching this movie and putting yourself in the mind of someone viewing this for the first time in 1950 and thinking that the special effects are really good is a surreal experience. It requires a TOTAL change in expectation for what to expect special effect-wise. Not only that, but also with regard to their understanding of why we should go to the moon. It is cold-war era, so they are in a race against other countries, but not only for national pride, but also for national security. The motivation came from their knowledge that whoever controls the moon, has the ability to control the planet, because from the moon missiles can be aimed at any place on the earth.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Aug 29, 2005 at 12:29 PM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:48 AM   #2
MasterGlen
Recruit Pilot
9 flights since Apr 2006
Re: Watched [i]D.M.[/i] last night

For a couple of the long shots with the space ship sitting on the moon Director Pal used dwarfs in space suits to give the set a larger look than it really had
MasterGlen is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Destination Moon (1950)