Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:36 AM   #1
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Things to consider since SciFlicks died away…

How about a new thread? Things to consider since SciFlicks died away…

The Star Wars prequels have come and gone. There are threads on this site where we speculate about the films, reviewed them, criticized them. Now, we’re on the verge of more Star Wars than any of us could have ever imagined – SIX films in the next ten years, the return of the original cast, and the continuance of the original story…all without George Lucas. Would you have believed it 12 years ago.

Star Trek has been rebooted, for good or bad or worse and remains somewhat in limbo. For those of who hoped this might lead to renewed interest in television, the films have yet to spawn anything more than sequels. Division among fans has never been higher and Trek remains at a crossroads.

You won’t find a dedicated threat for the first Iron Man film in this forum, that’s how long it has been since this forum has been truly active and should reveal just how much has happened in the Marvel movie universe since this site died away. The Marvel movie empire is nothing any of us could have predicted. Who knew Marvel’s lesser iconic supes – Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor would battle their way to the very apex of the movie world and create the mother of all franchises. Meanwhile, Spiderman gets rebooted and gets rebooted again. X-Men gets rebooted, then Singer comes back and brings the series back to form and now, Deadpool gets his own flick.

DC struggles from second place. After a decade of misfires, DC finally manages a solid hit with Christopher Nolan’s Batman reboot but then makes the mistake of letting Nolan get away and trying to follow in the Marvel footsteps on a film that is, at best, a mediocre take on Superman.

Total explosion of SciFi/Fantasy TV. Back in the day, while we discussed LOST, pondered the demise of Heroes, and debated the intrinsic value of Battlestar Galactica, who knew we were on the verge of a new golden age of TV. From Game of Thrones to Agents of Shield, from book-to-TV adaptations aka Shannara and The Expanse to reboots of the X-Files and Heroes, Netflix glorious Netflix giving us the real Daredevil to UPN with Arrow and Flash…we are living in the golden age of SF/Fantasy television.

One movie you will find discussed here is the fourth Mad Max film. Hard to believe it came out a mere six weeks ago and totally rocked. We’ve only been contemplating this film for more than 10 years.

What else? Enders Game got made and sucked. Ridley Scott returned to the Alien franchise with mixed results and is actually making a sequel to Blade Runner, due out in two years. Disney now owns pretty much everything.

I think perhaps the biggest thing is watching Nerdom, Geekdom, or whatever you want to call it, come into its own over the past five or six years. From the cross audience popularity of Game of Thrones, the success of Marvel and the explosion of ComicCon, shows like Community and Big Bang Theory – we all started out as fringe geeks and scifi nerds, gamers, comic book store haunting basement dwellers – and now, being what we have always been is actually cool. Not sure how I feel about that.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]