Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Event Horizon (1997)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Event Horizon (1997)

Infinite space... infinite terror...

View Poll Results: Hellraiser or Event Horizon
Hellraiser(any movie) 5 23.81%
Event Horizon 16 76.19%
All 0 0%
Neither 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 13, 2004, 03:00 PM   #16
SpaceShipTroopa
Pilot
15 flights since Mar 2004
Re: Hellraiser or Event Horizon

Event horizon . Hell raiser was pants ! Terrible movie !
SpaceShipTroopa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 05:06 PM   #17
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

They showed it on tv here in the uk over easter w,end and they left every gory bit of it in i saw this movie in the cinema and the opening sequence as it passes over the mountain and into space set the pace for the movie, blows hellraiser out the water but give hellraiser its due for a low budget flick it was very effective. it was a shame that the second was cut to hell for the video release in the uk.
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 04:04 PM   #18
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Hellraiser, I think. Event Horizon was cool, and the vacuum thing was memorable (Ugh...) but Hellraiser better used the idea of pain being all about perspective. Plus, Pinhead is definitely my new favourite horror monster. Sam Neill is just... well, he's Alan Grant, you can't really go "ARGH!!! NOT SAM NEILL!!! NOOOOO!"
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:12 PM   #19
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Event Horizon. First, because Ive never seen the Hellraiser's and second because Im not a fan of slapstick horror per se. Its not at all imaginative. Psychological thrillers all the way for me. Sam Neill terrified me because he was so...normal man.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 09:06 PM   #20
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

That's the beauty of Hellraiser. It's not really slapstick horror. I sort of expected it to be (which is why I'm late on the I-Love-Hellraiser train) but, despite all the gore, and... er... skinless talking characters, a lot of Hellraiser is implication, or at least, a lot of the good Hellraiser films (Whatever you do, don't watch the third one first).

Plus Pinhead is really, really cool. He's polite, well spoken, and mannerly. He doesn't dish out one liners, or swing a trademark weapon. He appears with his colleagues, offers to show you exactly what Hell is, and is somewhat reluctant to accept no for an answer. The creepiest part is that his chest is flayed, and he's got nails in his head, but he has these childlike twinkly little eyes... I mean, you wouldn't like to know him, really, but he'd make a great addition to one of those TV arts review panels.

"I didn't care much for this book."
"Really?"
"No. Most certainly not. I found it mediocre at best, and eventually lost my patience with it towards the sixth chapter. The metaphors were simply dragged too far, so I condemned the author to an unending torment of eating himself alive with fishhook teeth. The prose was simplistic and unremarkable, and I never really felt for Marjorie's plight."
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 03:35 PM   #21
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

That was so well put Jill.

I'll take Event Horizon any day. One of my favorite movies. Sam Neil with no eyes, and his face so slashed up was just wicked as hell.

"You don't need eyes to see where your going"
Friggin creepy.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 03:50 PM   #22
King
Wing Commander
205 flights since Aug 2003

I thought this movie was really scary the first time I saw it.
King is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 07:45 AM   #23
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies

Its still pretty scary, even now.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 01:04 AM   #24
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by jill_valentine
That's the beauty of Hellraiser. It's not really slapstick horror. I sort of expected it to be (which is why I'm late on the I-Love-Hellraiser train) but, despite all the gore, and... er... skinless talking characters, a lot of Hellraiser is implication, or at least, a lot of the good Hellraiser films (Whatever you do, don't watch the third one first).

Plus Pinhead is really, really cool. He's polite, well spoken, and mannerly. He doesn't dish out one liners, or swing a trademark weapon. He appears with his colleagues, offers to show you exactly what Hell is, and is somewhat reluctant to accept no for an answer. The creepiest part is that his chest is flayed, and he's got nails in his head, but he has these childlike twinkly little eyes... I mean, you wouldn't like to know him, really, but he'd make a great addition to one of those TV arts review panels.

"I didn't care much for this book."
"Really?"
"No. Most certainly not. I found it mediocre at best, and eventually lost my patience with it towards the sixth chapter. The metaphors were simply dragged too far, so I condemned the author to an unending torment of eating himself alive with fishhook teeth. The prose was simplistic and unremarkable, and I never really felt for Marjorie's plight."

Yes, for a lord of hell, he's quite the nice person.

I agree completely with Jill here, and am thus choosing Hellraiser over Even Horizon. Hellraiser is a horror that's on a diferent, or rather higher level. And who ever said Clives' horror wasn't psychological? Pain in itself is more or less a spycholiogicaly based reaction brought about by actions that either physically or mentally harm us. The body sends out signals and our brain works out the level of intensity (as far as physcial pain goes. Mental pain is an entirrly diferent ball park). And in some cases it can leave us both emtionally and physically scared. Thus any assosiation we make to said pain brings about a neverous reaction (and can possibly evolve into a phobia). Every one feels pain diferently, and some are even turned on by it (spychological...duh). Pinheads' perversive nature to find out what hurts you the most and present it you as an entirely new way to experience sensations is quite sickening.

Don't get me wrong though, I thought EH was a very good movie.
But as far as horror goes, Hellraiser takes the cake.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 02:12 PM   #25
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Hellraiser, by far. Event Horizon had potential to be good but it's way too flawed and is just not plain scary, or even that weird. Hellraiser is a masterful combination of atmosphere, gore and surrealism and much more imaginative and bizarre. Clive Barker is a twisted genius.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 03:57 PM   #26
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by NeXus_6
Hellraiser, by far. Event Horizon had potential to be good but it's way too flawed and is just not plain scary, or even that weird. Hellraiser is a masterful combination of atmosphere, gore and surrealism and much more imaginative and bizarre. Clive Barker is a twisted genius.

Too bad his movies were sort of dissapointing after Hellraiser 1 & 2 .

BTW new Hellraiser: Deader is good also but Hellworld is Mediocre.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 03:04 PM   #27
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

I've tried watching Hellraiser a couple of times recently, but didn't really happen, couldn't get into it - then again was typically doing other stuff at the time.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 03:33 PM   #28
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivanhoe
Too bad his movies were sort of dissapointing after Hellraiser 1 & 2 .

I've been trying to forget about those...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:29 AM   #29
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies

I agree on that one. The first two Hellraisers were brilliant, but went downhill quickly. And when you think about it, Hellraiser was much more original to. Cause if you've ever seen an old ass disney movie called "The Black Hole", you'll notice that Event Horizon is a lot like that, only with more violence and gore.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:57 AM   #30
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies

I watched this movie today for the first time in like two years.

In the beginning of the movie, when Alan Gra.....Sam Neil is dreaming about his wife, and she opens her eyes to show that she had no eyes, his scream was unbelievably funny. dunno why.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Event Horizon (1997)