Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old May 28, 2006, 09:30 AM   #61
Quintessa
Sector Marshall
875 flights since Jul 2004
Re: Rebuilding main sciflicks site, can users help Ramses?

Don't get me wrong, I like the color. I don't think the color goes will with the rest of the colours on the forum (The contrast between the light and the dark blue lines).

If it's changing, though, I supose it's a moot point.
Quintessa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:31 AM   #62
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

BUMP.

Sooo, are all aspects of film form going under 'Effects'? I think that simplifies a too complex area. Solyaris has good cinematography but boring mise-en-scene, so I wouldn't know what to give it if those two groups were placed under just 'Visuals' - and if these are blended with 'Sound', that complicates things further.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 04:05 AM   #63
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

But on the other hand, to play devil's advocate, not everyone actually knows what a mise-en-scene is, and not everyone analyses a film they've watched in such meticulous detail. I think to over-classify the ratings system would overcomplicate what should be a simple enough feature, you know?
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 06:51 AM   #64
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Yes, but mise-en-scene is, literally, "to put on screen" and it refers to everything from sets, costumes, actors' performances, and everything else that can be seen on the screen. Even if they do not know of the term, a mainstream audience is always looking at it. So why blend it with the music? You're mixing two different senses together. 'Mise-en-scene' itself all ready simplifies things by grouping every visible object, even the smallest hand gesture, into one group - and to shove in things like audio effects under the same category is to simplify things even more that it'd probably be impossible to come up with a rating. You might as well make the 'Effects' category to your overall rating.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:44 PM   #65
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Wise Anonymous Person
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
Review itself can be used to give more detail, break it down to minutiae and it ceases to be a quick reference guide.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:47 AM   #66
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

But it's being broke down so much that it'll be impossible to come up with a rating because visuals and music are experienced differently and can be on totally different levels of quality. It's like rating an album and one of the categories was, "Guitarwork and album cover art?" How do you come up with a rating for that? It makes sense to split the 'Effects' category into two different categories, 'Visuals' and 'Sounds' - or you rename effects to 'Directing' or make it the overall rating, since you're now dealing with every single technical aspect of film in one category.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems