Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Man is the warmest place to hide. | original guideremake guide

Old Mar 24, 2002, 10:10 AM   #1
DEF^DFA^SST
Starfighter
85 flights since Nov 2000
Re: The Thing ( PC game )

Screenshots and Interview:

http://www.pczone.co.uk/news/news_story.php?id=26150

http://www.artworks.co.uk/index2.htm
DEF^DFA^SST is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2002, 10:27 AM   #2
darkjedi
Sector Marshall
609 flights since Mar 2002

When does this come out? For some reason the link didn't work for me.
darkjedi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2002, 01:33 AM   #3
some dude
n/a flights since

It didn't? here's the first link:

Quote:
17:31 In 1982, John Carpenter unleashed The Thing on an unsuspecting world. The world ran away, very scared. Now Universal has become an independent publisher in its own right, it has been rummaging through its embarrassingly extensive collection of licences and decided to blow the dust and cobwebs from Carpenter's cult film, readying it for a new lease of life on PS2 and Xbox.

Responsibility for the title has been given to Computer Artworks, which has chosen not to follow the events of the movie, and instead create an entirely new narrative set a few months after the end of the motion picture. This third-person action-adventure not only captures the fear and gruesome horror of The Thing; it brings innovative gameplay elements to the genre, which looks set to deliver a genuinely refreshing experience.

Desperate to know more, we cornered Chris Hadley, senior producer of the title, who trusted us enough to ask probing questions and not shoot him in the face then run away screaming:

Were any restrictions imposed upon you regarding what you could and couldn't do with the licence?

Hadley: Not really, no - that was really, really good actually. We could pretty much do whatever we wanted with it. Universal obviously wanted us to be true the film, and we wanted that as well, but at the end of the day we had a lot of freedom with it.

Is this going to be a one off, or do you have plans to turn it into a series?

Hadley: I don't think it's going to be a one-off. The things we've learnt from making the game so far could be taken through, and next time round even more stuff could be done with it. It's been a fairly big learning experience for us.

So you already have ideas of what you'd like to do next

Hadley: Yes, there are a lot of ideas piling around with what we want to do with it.

[demonstrates section where NPC vomits at sight of blood.]

This is an example of the type of stuff we've got. This is something scripted that we've added in today but we're going to add it into the AI. If you come across an area that's really, really bloody, you're going to throw up - and they really are. We're not saying they're going to do something that sounds like it: they're gonna throw up and you're going to see it; if they're going to commit suicide, they will and you'll see it. That's not because we want to shock you, it's because the film was really in your face and didn't pull its punches - we wanted to stick with that.

It also reinforces the fact that you're worried about your team mates. If you've seen something nasty happen to one of them you're more likely to care about it and think: "God, I've got to stop that and try and save them."

Why make a game about The Thing - it's not the most relevant licence nowadays?

Hadley: Universal came up with the idea while looking through its back catalogue, but it appealed to Computer Artworks because it isn't something you'd automatically look at - we saw it as a challenge.

The actually film itself probably only offered about three levels of gameplay. Ultimately, films and games are different, and as much as we don't want them to be, they are. The film's very slow and psychological; there's a lot of walking around looking at things, big silences, a little music... This wouldn't work for the game as people are just gonna run through the area - if you limit it they'll just get bored.

I think the licence works as it gave us an opportunity to make a game that didn't necessarily hang on the name of the film, as for a lot of people it won't mean anything because they were too young to see it. But of course, hopefully there will be a large amount of people who have seen it and will want to play the game.

Can you describe the Trust sytems for us?

Hadley: In a nutshell, trust is all about how much the NPCs think you're infected. Basically, there are three states of this: green, amber, and red. In the green state they'll trust you and do whatever you want; in amber you'll have to force them to do something; in red state, you're the enemy. This obviously means you're going to have an easier or a harder time getting people to do what you want - 50-75% of the NPCs are critical to your progress.

How do you persuade them to do what you want?

Hadley: If they're in the green state you don't need to; if they're in amber you coerce them - and by that I mean you put a gun to their head. If you put a gun to their head, after a few seconds they will go: "Don't shoot me!" The interesting thing is, they'll only do it for a short amount of time, so if you ask them to do an extended activity like following you, you must do something quickly to gain their trust or they'll stop - and trust you even less because you've put a gun to their head.

It's these sort of things that give the player several different ways of dealing with a situation - and if you get it wrong, the NPCs could end up killing you. Let's say an NPC doesn't trust you: he'll either find a way of killing you or himself just to get out of the situation.

How do you earn their trust?

Hadley: You can give weapons or ammo; you can kill enemies in front of NPCs; you can do a self-blood test by getting a hypodermic syringe and sticking it in your arm - this basically shows that your blood is OK.

Are these needles limited?

Hadley: Oh God, yes. You can have three NPCs around you in the red stage and it will turn them all green, so that's really limited. Oh yes, and you can heal them to get their trust up: it's all things you can physically do. You can have fun with these guys, but if you want to progress you'll have to be a good leader.

How are the stages structured - are they objective driven?

Hadley: The objective system isn't actually in there at the moment, so you're just running around going: "Where am I?" The basic idea is that we give an overall objective at the start of the level, but this will change as you move on - it's all down to the NPCs. If you meet someone who insists you go and rescue someone before he'll join you, and that becomes a sub-objective.

Why is the game not coming out on GameCube? Is it to do with the mature content?

Hadley: It's not going to GameCube because Universal haven't decided to take it there; I don't think it's anything to do with the content.

Are there any differences between the PS2, PC and Xbox versions?

Hadley: Gameplay-wise, it will be the same on all versions, but there may be some graphical differences. Johnny Minkley
Old Apr 4, 2002, 01:35 AM   #4
some dude
n/a flights since

and here's the second:

Quote:
The CA teams are proud to announce that they are currently developing the multi-format games version of John Carpenter's 1982 film classic THE THING, on behalf of Universal Interactive Studios.

Over the following year we will keep you up to date on the progress of the game and give you an insight into its development and the teams that are working on it. It's early days yet but watch this space!

STORY SYNOPSIS

After the enigmatic deaths of an American scientific expedition in the uncharted and frozen wastelands of the Antarctic, a military rescue team is sent to investigate their deaths. Within these inhospitable surroundings the team encounters a strange shape-shifting alien life-form that assumes the appearance of people that it kills. The game brings fear and suspense to unimaginable levels, with a compelling plot and unique gameplay elements based upon action, evasion, trust and fear. Forget everything you ever learned about obliterating alien species simply with a barrage of violent ammunition - this monster is difficult to see, hard to kill, and seemingly impossible to evade.

QUOTES
Jim Wilson, senior VP and GM at UIS, said, "The Thing is a phenomenal franchise that gamers have been requesting for a long time. This franchise presents an incredible opportunity to draw upon Universal's rich movie history and today's technology to create a one-of-a-kind gaming experience."
PC Gamer said, "William Latham and his team have plenty of experience creating mutant monsters - their last game being Evolva - and with a huge arsenal of weapons and an original premise, this could be as exciting as watching McReady flame a mutant dog. Anticipation Factor 4 out of 5."
PSM2 Magazine said, "The 'trust and fear' twist to squad leadership promises this'll be an inventive use of the license. Top 10 Most Wanted Games of 2002"

PRODUCT FEATURES

Taking place shortly after the events seen in the 1982 film - The Thing takes us back to the Antarctic base and familiar locals from the film for a terrifying, new chapter of isolation and paranoia.

Advanced trust/fear interface adds a new dimension to the genre - How you influence non-player characters (NPCs) psychological state determines whether or not these characters will cooperate with you. Amazing lighting, weather and particle effects complemented by subtle sound cues and scripted events create a new level of suspense and terror.

Unique combat system that allows weapons to be customized and scratch built in many cases.

Puzzle Solving can be accomplished by a multitude of scenarios - there is never just one way to accomplish an objective.

Varied pace of gameplay throughout the game, blending action, puzzles, horror and human interaction.
Old May 5, 2002, 10:21 AM   #5
Dwayne Hicks
Wing Commander
259 flights since May 2002
Talking Re: The Thing ( PC game )

i wanna get that game
Dwayne Hicks is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2002, 08:03 PM   #6
darkjedi
Sector Marshall

I know that one is scheduled for release on the X-Box.
Old May 6, 2002, 04:15 PM   #7
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I read an article in a PC mag about it, so it should be coming out on the PC too. I will get this game Most assuredly.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2002, 06:30 PM   #8
w@velength
Pilot
46 flights since May 2002
The Thing

When is this game coming out? I remember a preview for it, it looked awesome. Very gory, like a guy spattered on the wall with something growing out of his body.
w@velength is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2002, 01:12 AM   #9
darkjedi
Sector Marshall

Check out Xbox.com there should be something on it there. Or you could do a search for it.
Old May 19, 2002, 01:41 AM   #10
w@velength
Pilot
thanks

Not for the Xbox, for PC(where it belongs). Don't worry, i found what i needed.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:29 AM   #11
darkjedi
Sector Marshall

I just read that a version of this game is also slated for release on the PS2. The screen-shots look great. I can't wait to play this one.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 11:51 AM   #12
w@velength
Pilot

Indeed, it looks very lush!
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:21 PM   #13
darkjedi
Sector Marshall

Has anyone seen the new tv spots for this game yet? They're pretty cool looking so far, I'm gonna get it for the PS2 though.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:56 AM   #14
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

I remember playing this on my old PC about 3 years ago: its the classic survival/horror game in the same genre of Resident Evil but not nearly as good imho.

Its an ok-ish game, with a decent graphics engine, lighting sfx, the sense of claustrophobic dread. And the AI wasn't too bad as I seem to recall. But its not a very engaging game; the controls are clunky and awkward; there's an irriting delay between the time you pull the trigger of your shot gun to the point the gun actually fires; and flicking between weapons is fiddly too.

I don't think I ever completed the game: not because it was hard to beat the Bosses, but because I just couldn't be bothered.

5/10

Last edited by Sonny : Jul 23, 2006 at 05:02 AM.
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]