Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Alien (1979, 1986, 1992, 1997) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Alien (1979, 1986, 1992, 1997) [movie series]

In space no one can hear you scream. | Alien guideAliens guide...

View Poll Results: Ripley or Dutch?
Ripley 7 46.67%
Dutch 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 22, 2002, 09:45 AM   #1
Predalien
Cluster Admiral
203 flights since Jul 2002
Location: Leeds, England, The Earth (also lived in other places such as Bristol and Exeter)
Ripley or Dutch?

Someone PMd me saying they didn't know how to make a poll. So I did it for them.

Last edited by Predalien : Apr 13, 2009 at 10:27 AM.
Predalien is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 02:02 PM   #2
Xeno
Sector Marshall
751 flights since Mar 2001
Re: Ripley or Dutch?

Ripley!

Dutch is a hard ass military elite. He takes on a hard ass Alien hunter and wins. Bah. Action pack stuff, with the butch human taking the gold.

Ripley was simply a warrant officer in a routine job. Then pops comes up a Alien literally destroying her life. She lived all the way through it and ended in A3. Normal Ripley doesn't "win" but she gets one over at the end. I love her.
Xeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 10:23 PM   #3
xXx
Sector Marshall
760 flights since Mar 2002

Ripley 8 was a bad@ss!! But Dutch is the man.
xXx is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 02:39 AM   #4
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Dutch got the job done with nothing as far as weapons and is a lil bit smarter and is THE MAN!
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 03:32 AM   #5
Drone
Sector Marshall
584 flights since Jun 2002
Talking Re: Ripley or Dutch?

It's simply a matter of opinion.^>^

Last edited by Drone : Apr 10, 2004 at 03:16 PM.
Drone is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 10:23 AM   #6
Dwayne Hicks
n/a flights since
Talking Re: Ripley or Dutch?

Dutch!!!
Old Jul 23, 2002, 12:44 PM   #7
thegreenknight
Sector Marshall
986 flights since Jan 2002

Ripley's a little *****. When it comes to actually surviving and conquering, it's gonna be Dutch. He had no gun of anysort, all he had was two rocket launcher shells and a knife. Those are my reasons.
thegreenknight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:00 AM   #8
Xeno
Sector Marshall

Ripley is a what!? People prefer Dutch cause they love a hard ass military person and ofcourse the colourful explosions and muscles. They also like Dutch because he's a cool looking son of a ***** but thats all. Wow he killed a alien hunter, whoop dee doo da! He's a bloody grunt! A person trained to fight. Look at Ripley! She had a daughter and was a civvy! Yet she still suvives the baddest ass creatures in the galaxy. She is so way better then Dutch.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:32 AM   #9
Xeno
Sector Marshall

WHAT!?!?! She didn't encounter them before in Alien did she!?!?! But she survived where everybody 'cept the cat died!!! She didn't do crap!?!?! Surviving a baddest ass creatures in the galaxy ain't enough for you? What you want her to kill them aswell... oh wait she did! Didn't do crap my ass! What the hell did Dutch do? Kill a bunch of terrorist and trapped and killed a Predator who wiped out his entire squad. Wow yes, but Dutch is a fighter. Human, but a fighter. A stereotypical hero for gods sakes! You expect him to win and thats boring!
Old Jul 25, 2002, 12:16 AM   #10
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Well Dutch first off beat the most dangerous, highest advanced creature in the galaxy with sticks and grass. Ripley at least had a flamethrower and big time technology to help her out. And Arnold portrayed Dutch so that is always a plus. And well Dutch would have done the same thing if he faced 3 or 4 more Yautja. Because he had expierience under his belt. And he woulda won, but the friggin hollywood producers just are too lazy to bring Dutch back to the silver screen. Tinny here is our next argument!
Old Jul 25, 2002, 10:33 AM   #11
Xeno
Sector Marshall

"Big time technology" didn't do ****! The marines still got their asses kicked and Ripley still had to blow a bug outta the air lock! Not only that, but she's screwed over by the Company, her own human race! Atleast Dutch can concentrate his hate on something, Ripley's got several coming from all directions! I mean sure, it's unfair to compare a mindless grunt like Dutch to a well establish character with history like Ripley but I'm still going to compare them. And frankly, you are idiots to say Dutch was better then Ripley! I would love to see Ripley against a Predator, but then it will have to be an AvP movie wouldn't it? So no Dutch. But how I see it, she will be like the heroine in AvP: Prey. Ripley in their eyes will almost be an equal. An equal! Not just a worthy opponent!
Old Jul 25, 2002, 12:08 PM   #12
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Well my question to you is can Ripley beat a bug or Yautja with twigs, grass and mud? Because she killed the queen in Aliens by using a form of technology. If Ripley is an equal for using technology to beat a bug, then Dutch is over an equal for beating a Yautja with basically nothing!
Old Jul 25, 2002, 06:14 PM   #13
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Ripley all the way. She is a resourceful heroine (so is Dutch, making the traps, I know), she is a compassionate heroine (she went for the cat and Newt ), she faced the Universe's ultimate killing machine THREE TIMES (not counting the fourth when she hersefl was part ultimate killing machine). You might argue that the Predator is the Ultimate killing machine, and thus a far tougher opponent to beat. Bull****. The Predator kills to hunt, and has his own set of rules (not killing an unarmed human, for example). An Alien has no such distinctions, and will kill anyine, based on the evidence of the movies.

And most of all, Ripley is a VERY strong feminine role-model, and speaking as an equalist (neither feminist nor chauvanist ), I say more power to her. It's easier for a hero in a big flashy Hollywood movie to be a huge, butch commando-type man, but Ripley was just an ordinary working woman. Go Ripley !

And Sigourney Weaver is much better at acting than Arnie ... please don't kill me, Phlub
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 09:34 PM   #14
xXx
Sector Marshall
760 flights since Mar 2002

....stupid freakin' bugs always fall for that airlock trick....
xXx is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:52 PM   #15
Phlub
The Head Hunter

*Phlub takes Dutchs M-16 with grenade launcher mount and pumps Splendi full of lead and bombs!*

Splendi Sigourney and Arnold have never been what you would call "intellectual actors" or actors that play in roles that have a meaning. They have always just been an entertaining, shoot em up type actor/actress.

And come on Dutch had nobody to go back for, if the Yautja had one or a few of Dutch's men in its vile clutches Dutch would have gone back.

Well in AvP the Movie I bet you any money the Yautja is the last standing between the Yautja and Bug. (of course the damn humans will win)

And I would have a Yautja on my side of a fight before a bug. And I would LOVE to see Ripley defeat a bug with twigs, grass and mud. Ripley used a form of technology by using her flamethrower and the escape hatch most noteably to defeat the bugs.

Dutch is smarter, more resourceful, stronger, faster, wittier, stealthier and more heroic then Ripley!

Dutch 4 LIFE!

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Alien (1979, 1986, 1992, 1997) [movie series]