Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Gattaca (1997)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Gattaca (1997)

There is no gene for the human spirit. | guide

Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:15 PM   #1
iorek
n/a flights since
Irene, a God's child?

Am I the only one to think that Irene is a God's child?
Old Mar 23, 2003, 03:19 AM   #2
Anony
Starfighter
61 flights since Feb 2003
Re: Irene, a God's child?

I used to think she MIGHT have been, but then I checked slowly through the valid/invalid screens, and yes, Irene's file does come up, clearly labelled VALID. (After they collect the samples, in the same sequence as when Vincent's eyelash is analysed.)

Irene Cassini, I believe...
Anony is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 06:50 AM   #3
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

A God's child? What does that mean (should it be taken literally?)?
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 08:10 AM   #4
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002

I think he/she means whether or not she was genetically engeneered. A god's child might be someone concieved the "natural way". (the REAL natural way)
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 09:47 AM   #5
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally posted by floyd
I think he/she means whether or not she was genetically engeneered. A god's child might be someone concieved the "natural way". (the REAL natural way)
Oh. Well then...

...But talking about God's child... If there would have been a Messiah born in this kind of world... Would S/He have been narural and what could have happened to Her/Him?
Old Mar 27, 2003, 06:21 PM   #6
iorek
n/a flights since

"God's child" is the term Irene herself use to describe Vincent and people born like him.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:29 AM   #7
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by Anony
I used to think she MIGHT have been, but then I checked slowly through the valid/invalid screens, and yes, Irene's file does come up, clearly labelled VALID. (After they collect the samples, in the same sequence as when Vincent's eyelash is analysed.)

Irene Cassini, I believe...

I think that I got the overall feeling at the end that she was a "god's child " as you put it. The fact that she came out as valid in the checks doesn't mean a thing. This might be her new identity.

I think she was in the "valid sharade" just like Vincent. Besides Irene might not be her real name also.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 01:43 AM   #8
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivanhoe

I think that I got the overall feeling at the end that she was a "god's child " as you put it. The fact that she came out as valid in the checks doesn't mean a thing. This might be her new identity.

I think she was in the "valid sharade" just like Vincent. Besides Irene might not be her real name also.
If that's so why they didn't kill her or put in jail or something? Obviously they knew that she wasn't valid because they never gave her same rights as Vincent...
Old Mar 28, 2003, 03:38 AM   #9
Ivan

Quote:
Originally posted by ThinWLady

If that's so why they didn't kill her or put in jail or something? Obviously they knew that she wasn't valid because they never gave her same rights as Vincent...

I am not sure about the details but That is the generall feeling I got. I will have to watch it again for details.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 07:27 AM   #10
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002

perhaps she didn't have as much money as vincent... maybe the valid that she bought wasn't as 'high quality' as his.
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 08:27 PM   #11
Anony
Starfighter
61 flights since Feb 2003

Well, if Irene is a 'borrowed ladder' as you claim, she isn't doing a very good job of it... Why would she lead people to believe she has a heart condition, thus preventing her form being anything?

And with the valid screen, it's her EXACT face, name, etc, unlike with 'Vincent's' screen how it's jerome's picture.
Anony is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 08:11 PM   #12
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Irene is a true Valid. The fact that she has a heart condition doesn't mean she's a "borrowed ladder" or a God's child. She was genetically altered when she was born, just like all the other valids. However, her genetic makeup are determined by her parents. Even though she maight have all the abilities other valids have, her parents might have decided to include in a few of their traits. If you go the the "Design a Child" site for Gattaca (http://www.sonypictures.com/Pictures...sign_child.htm) when you try it, you'll notice that you can choose what traits, desirable and undesirable, your offspring will have. Also, depending on what you enter for the parent information, some unwanted traits will arise. I mean, even if Irene is genetically enhanced, she stil comes from her parents genes and you can't always be 100% sure that the genes are "perfect".
Old Apr 22, 2003, 01:05 AM   #13
Ivan

Yes Anony and Unregistered are correct. After seeing it again there is no doubt. Irene was designed with a flaw.
Old May 19, 2003, 06:31 AM   #14
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Hey Anthony-- do you go to Scotch by any chance?
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:52 AM   #15
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Irene is a valid, but like Lamar's - the doctor - son she was born with imperfections, a heart defect. Through both cases this is a device to show that systems such as Gattaca and its rules and values, with its emphasis and drive for perfection, are prone to fail just as everything else can be. It is shown clearly throughout the film that the system is flawed; how otherwise did Vincent pull off what he did? If the system was flawless he would surely have been caught. It shows that there cannot be such a thing as true perfect, even with genetic selection and manipulation for babies. Of the three major valid characters - Jerome, Anton and Irene - not one of them is born perfect or flawless, in fact, they are in some cases overflowing with them, be it physical or human flaw.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Gattaca (1997)