Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Wars (1977-2005) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Star Wars (1977-2005) [movie series]

Every generation has a legend. Every journey has a first step. Every saga has a beginning. | Episode I guide

Old May 25, 2005, 04:24 PM   #1
050689_smith
Apprentice
1 flights since May 2005
phantom menace question

this mite seem like a stupid question but i was wondering if anyone could help me out with this - in phantom menace qui-jon has a conversation with anakin before they enter the ship to go to naboo & he tells anakin about what the force actually is etc... but he also mentions a word beginning with "m", he says that these "m"s live inside you and if you didnt have these "m" then you wouldnt be alive... i know thats not very clear but if anyone knows what im on about please let me know because its been bugging me for days & i lent my phantom menace to a friend so cant find out for myself. thanks so much
050689_smith is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 07:05 PM   #2
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005
Re: phantom menace question

midichlorians. The term and concept is inspired by mitochondria (don't be insulted that I include this explanation, as I myself wasn't sure what they are):

Mitochondria are the cell's power producers. They convert energy into forms that are usable by the cell. They are the sites of cellular respiration which ultimately generates fuel for the cell's activities.

(http://biology.about.com/library/weekly/aa040600a.htm)

I understand midichlorians to be a kind of mediary between beings and the force, the more you have, the more easily you are able to connect/communicate with the force. See "midichlorian revisited thread."

Many have critcized George Lucas for including these in the Star Wars mythology, most criticism revolving around the idea that the existence of midichlorians presents an elitist attitude: some are born with the gift, some aren't. Whereas in the original trilogy, Luke's being able to connect with the force by unlearning his preconceptions of what cannot be done resonnated with audiences because it inspires the idea that each of us, no matter who we are, is able to unlock hidden potential.

On the other hand, one could argue that it is plain that some are born with more physical ability than others. Some people are just born with a greater capacity to learn and remember. I think these people are much more rare than it seems as I believe that hard work and faith in one's self can cause a person to become highly successful and emotionally centered, but even so, and I do not have a lot of experience with a wide variety of talents as they appear in people, especially if they are hidden, but I think that it cannot be denied that some people have more talent for being able to do more.

I'm not sure that I believe that means that these people are morally superior, though I believe that it probably gives them a greater chance of becoming so than a person of lesser intellectual talents. Possibly. I think that is complicated. I don't think, for example, that just because a person cannot articulate his/her beliefs that they are not mature feelings, only that they are known in the heart but not able to be communicated and shared. Though I suspect that being able to communicate an idea has the ability to solidify the belief just by nature of its being spread to other people.

Anyway. Elitism and midichlorians. I don't know. I wish some one else would contribute to the discussion of elitism, I am curious what others think and what they believe the idea of the existence of midichlorians implies in relation to social hierarchy and whether it is an honest metaphor for a hierarchy that actually exists, or does the idea propogate false elitism or the like.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : May 25, 2005 at 07:35 PM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Wars (1977-2005) [movie series]