Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Predator (1987, 1990) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Predator (1987, 1990) [movie series]

It came for the thrill of the hunt. It picked the wrong man to hunt. | I guideII guide

Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:47 AM   #1
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001
Neil Marshall to direct "Predators?"

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/06/12...uch-rejoicing/

Movie-lovers seem to be happy about this. I admit, I am not terribly familiar with Neil Marshall's work. My biggest fear about this movie is that it is simply going to be a rehash of the Predator/Predator 2 formula (like T3 rehashed the T1/T2 formula). Formulas work for two movies. Three gets to be too much.

My other big fear about "Predators," is that they won't get any big star to do the film like the AvP movies (which I saw both only once and will never own either of them).

But, from what I can read, Marshall is promising. He loves horror/suspense (which is really what made "Predator" so damn good) and loves gore in his movies. Both favor a Predator movie.

Your thoughts...?
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Neil Marshall to direct "Predators?"

Eeew, MTV.

Loving horror, suspence and gore doesn't mean anything, really; I remember dajistano or someone getting excited about Aliens vs Predator because it turned out that Paul Anderson owned loads of movie memobrillia, and Michael Bay obviously loves the stuff. Dog Soliders and The Descent showed signs of competence but no memorable craft, and I heard dreadful things about Doomsday.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 01:12 AM   #3
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Thanks for squashing what little optimism I had for a movie I've waited damn near my entire life for, Nex! *sarcasm*

Anyway, I was hoping somebody in the vein of McTiernan or even Hopkins would do it. But, nope, they have to go with the newb. Oh well.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

I wouldn't really call Marshall a newb (he has 3 movies under his belt, so that should elevate him above newb director status, in my opinion), and I, for one, did enjoy his directorial debut. But his movies have gone a bit downhill...

Let's see...

Dog Soldiers: Werewolves vs. soldiers, who find themselves in a Night of the Living Dead type situation against the werewolves. Very good, suspenseful action/horror.

The Descent: Decent. More action/horror/suspense with a similar formula, this time with cave divers trapped in an underground cavern system and flesh-eating monsters. Pretty good gore. Some good moments, but overall a bit of a drag. Lacks something... like, the energy of his previous movie.

Doomsday: Looks like Mad Max... in post-apocalyptic UK... Also looks bad enough from the previews that I will probably never see this. Maybe I'll rent it on DVD and watch it while drunk... Maybe...

OK, so that does look kind of bad... But still, he did it right in Dog Soldiers, so there is that chance that he can do it right again, as long as he doesn't make characters do stupid sh*t like a few times in The Descent or throw in gimmicks that have been done many times before. Of course, the fact that he was given a huge budget for his third movie in contrast to his first two might have gotten to his head. Plus, there is always the writer and the story he comes up with...
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Predator (1987, 1990) [movie series]