Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Aliens vs. Predator (2004)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Aliens vs. Predator (2004)

Whoever wins... We lose.

Old Oct 31, 2004, 06:18 PM   #1
becks-orion
Cluster Admiral
1,175 flights since Oct 2003
Let's discuss the weather

I wasn't paying over much attention to what date the expedition to Antarctica, but I did notice that for the most part the events took place at night (or if it was winter, daytime due to the eternal dark).

Either way, it's Antarctica (South Pole is colder than the North Pole, dontcha know), and there is no sunlight.

Did it strike anyone else as quite amazing the way clothing and other heat sources were casually disregarded?

The last scene in the film is particularly hilarious. It's good to see that Hollywood is so keen to remain as closely scientifically accurate as possible.

For some nicely explained weather and other facts about Antarctica, see - HERE
becks-orion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 02:45 PM   #2
X Caster
Pilot
27 flights since Nov 2004
Re: Let's discuss the weather

Well, maybe it was because of the humungous explosion, but yes, I see your point. Then again, besides their clothes being disregarded, so was the general idea of aliens.
X Caster is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 07:02 PM   #3
becks-orion
Cluster Admiral

The clothing issue was disregarded way before the place blew up.

I can understand the temperatures being elevated within the pyramid itself, but on their approach to Antarctica, and their arrival at the old mine, it was a joke.

One of the funniest scenes in the movie is where the guy from Trainspotting, with his video camera, was alone in a hut and hears something moving around and the music goes all tense. The guy I was with whispered to me - 'I bet it's just rat or something', and I said 'Yeah, a frozen hard rat rolling along the floor'.

Well, it made us giggle. And yes, I am bloody annoying to watch films with sometimes.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 08:38 PM   #4
X Caster
Pilot

ha, the whole time me and my friends were watching it, there was this group of people behind us that looked like they belonged in brooklyn, and every time something exciting (or relativly exciting) happend, you heard: "OOOO SH*T MAN, THAT WAS THE SH*T!!!"

O well. The movie made about as much sense as they did.
As for the removing of all life saving clothing, well, it's just another flaw in this movie of huge flaws.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 09:22 PM   #5
YautjaKShai
Starfighter
98 flights since Oct 2001

Oh, dont be so rought on it. It wasn't that bad, I could think of a hundred more movies that had more flaws in it. This movie was fun, and that's it. See it looking for some fun, and you'll be happy.

But yes, the clothing thing jumped out at me right away. Maybe it was because I had read the novelization before seeing the movie, that it stuck out so bad. Not only in Antarctica itself, but also on the ice that Alexa was climbing in the beginning of the movie.

In the book, it described the heat-insulating clothing worn by everyone, even for Alexa when she was ice mountain scaling.. they had everything from thermal gloves to face masks.

Antarctica is COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the movie, they didn't even have face protection, and towards the end, all Alexa was wearing was a fleece that looked like it came from Old Navy.

Anyone see Day After Tomorrow? First scene, on the ice (and through the last half of the movie)... perfect example of how people should be dressed against the bitter cold, and Antarctica IS BITTER COLD. Definitely a big flaw in the flick.

~K'Shai
YautjaKShai is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 02:18 PM   #6
becks-orion
Cluster Admiral

Although I'm kinda willing to suspend a little belief when watching movies, cause lets face it the whole Predator/Aliens thing is far out fiction; but when you're trying to be serious and totally screw up the basics, it does detract from it.

And yes, I'm with you on the Day After Tomorrow thing.

When it's COLD it's COLD!!!!!! And Antarctica is cold. They would have had to question how the ice got there. Cause it's COLD!

I did still like the film though. It was the Pred's dreads that won it for me.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 04:01 PM   #7
X Caster
Pilot

Yeah, well so what about their dreads???

Did you see how totally messed up their faces have become?
They looked so utterly horrible it's hard to describe it.
really. no joke here.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 07:29 PM   #8
YautjaKShai
Starfighter
98 flights since Oct 2001

Not to get too far off subject here (since this is a thread about the cold weather), but I agree. When they showed us the Pred face for the first time, I was horrified. When the original Pred took off his mask to face down Arnie, we all thought COOL! (or gross!) but, definitely, WOW, what a fantastic creature... so well designed, and so beautifully animated.... they started playing with the animation in P2 (The eyes getting wide when his arm was about to chopped off was a little wierd, but live-with-able)..... BUT THEY KILLED THEIR FACE IN AVP. I was horrified when I saw how badly they destroyed the face. I don't understand why they would go through all the effort of creating 3 powerful, beautiful, and awesome aliens, and change the face to something silly and so far off from the original standards. Even the mandibles didn't move the same way!!! Unbelievable. That was the biggest disappointment of the whole film.
~K'Shai
YautjaKShai is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:33 PM   #9
Yoda86
Starfighter
88 flights since Jul 2005

YautjaKShai, u are gona freak someone out with that attitude.
Yoda86 is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Aliens vs. Predator (2004)