Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)

Don't Panic

Old May 23, 2005, 05:57 AM   #1
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Post Restaurant?

Source: Sci Fi Wire

Martin Freeman, who plays Arthur Dent in the upcoming film verson of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, told SCI FI Wire that he's open to a sequel if one is made, with conditions. In the movie based on Douglas Adams' beloved SF book and radio series, Freeman plays Dent, a human whisked off Earth moments before its destruction, who then embarks on a bizarre adventure through space. He is accompanied by his alien best pal (Mos Def), a depressed robot (Warwick Davis), the president of the galaxy (Sam Rockwell) and a pretty alien female, Trillian (Zooey Deschanel).

"I'd be interested if the same team was interested," Freeman said in an interview, referring to director Garth Jennings and producer Nick Goldsmith. "I'd be interested if Spielberg or someone else I could really trust was going to do it. Then we could talk."

Freeman added: "But if Garth and Nick were going to do it I'd be immediately interested. The next book [in the Hitchhiker's book series] is Restaurant at the End of the Universe. So I'm presuming that they'd probably make that if they do a sequel. But it took 20 years to get a Hitchhiker's script into a film. So I don't think you could just rush into another one of these." The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy opens April 29.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 06:09 AM   #2
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Restaurant?

Ah, but it took so long because of locating funds and a production team and then Douglas Adams died and all Now those problems are probably sorted - after all, the first film went straight to the top of UK and US box offices, doesn't that usually warrant an automatic sequel whether the story wants one or not?

I wouldn't trust Spielberg with it, though - War of the Worlds in modern day America? My geekness is appalled
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous
My geekness is appalled
Yours and everyone elses.

A RATEOTU film would be great fun - and script writing wouldn't take that long, for the reasons stated above.
I think it will depend on how well the film does in the US longer term, though, rather than initial week stuff.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 07:56 AM   #4
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Yeah, they'll probably want to take DVD sales and rental into account, and possibly even sales of the Tie-in editon of the book (which has the film poster on the cover, of course).
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous
I wouldn't trust Spielberg with it, though - War of the Worlds in modern day America? My geekness is appalled

But isn't it supposed to be contemporary? It won't make much sense if they set it in the same decade as the book's. I still say it should be set in England though.

Now, RatEotU - can't wait to see the sets for Milliway's.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Hiteak42
Pilot
37 flights since May 2005
Location: A small blue and greeen planet in the far western edge of the Milky Way Galaxy revolving around the star Sol

That should be intresting. Hopefully it will be morelike the radio, tv, or book. Should be intresting if they do it though.
Hiteak42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:49 AM   #7
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

dont do a sequel.........

merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 03:21 PM   #8
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

You know they will
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 03:52 PM   #9
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

I know.

The problem could be that I watched it on a pirate copy. I never got into rthe tv series they did years ago mainly because I missed episodes along the way.

My partner loves the books and was really looking forward to watching it and even she said she was dissapointed.

Loved the cameo with the original Marvin in the queue.

merlin is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)