Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)

Don't Panic

Old Mar 30, 2003, 04:03 PM   #31
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide?

Hmmm ... maybe the SciFi channel will do for H2G2 what it did for Dune ...
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 04:41 AM   #32
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous
Hmmm ... maybe the SciFi channel will do for H2G2 what it did for Dune ...

We can only hope,
Somebody anybody! Do A new mini series of hitchikers guide to the galaxy!
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 11:58 AM   #33
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

CLICK CLICK CLICK!
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 12:07 PM   #34
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Yes! Now all I need to do is move to England and become an extra for the movie!
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 04:20 PM   #35
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

YES!!!

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! H2G2 is cralwing out of development hell ... and it's British! No disrespect intended to non-British members, but as this has always been a British project, I was a bit worried when Jay Roach was attached. But now ... yaaaay!

Can't wait to hear more
Old Jun 19, 2003, 03:12 PM   #36
Paladin
Pilot
26 flights since Jun 2003

This is certainly the first I've heard of any production of Hitchhikers since the BBC television and radio versions I'd enjoyed years ago.

I listened to the radio version on shortwave here on the East Coast and watched the television version on PBS.

Though I've never read Douglas, my brother who did watched some of it with me and just started laughing as he knew what was about to happen.

"Joggers!"
Paladin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 11:08 AM   #37
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

And a confirmation of the above info on empire online can be found here at Douglas Adams' official site.

Hooray
Old Oct 19, 2003, 12:53 PM   #38
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle

Holy mother of movies! ITS COMING!
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:56 AM   #39
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

<<runs in clutching and waving a copy of SFX>>

It's almost HERE! It's ALMOST HERE!

I shall now type what SFX said in Issue #115, March's issue, bought today by myself. This is from the first page of their news pages, Strange Tales :

"After years of talk and idle rumour, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie is beginning production with the first cast members announced. In a brilliant bit of casting, hapless Earthman Arthur Dent will be played by Martin Freeman, best known to us and the Yanks as Tim in The Office. He starred in the ITV sitcom Hardware and has been seen in such quirky comedies as Black Books and World of Pub, as well as the odd serious like Charles II.

In a casting move sure to prove much more confidential, American hip hop star Mos Def has been cast as Ford Prefect, hithertoo seen by fans as about as English as toasted muffins. The 30 year-old rapper, named, he says, after his favourite phrase "Most definitely", has had major film roles in the Italian Job remake and Monster's Ball.

More encouragingly, indie queen Zooey Dechantel is to be Trillian, Zaphod Beeblebrox's glam travelling companion. Aged 24, the elfin beauty can be seen in Elf and Almost Famous, while her mother is famous to cult TV fans as Eileen Hayward in Twin Peaks.

The role of fjord designer Slartibartfast goes to Bill Nighy, who was also in Love Actually. Other big screen work includes Underworld, Still Crazy, Phantom of the Opera (the 1989 version starring Robert Englund) and he will soon be seen in Shaun of the Dead. On TV he has appeared in Auf Weidershen Pet, Reilly: Ace of Spies, Chillers, Kiss Me Kate and was recently spotted bemoaning the state of the world in Grumpy Old Men. Favoured by many fans as the new Doctor Who, he also played Sam in the Radio Four version of Lord of the Rings.

A prototype design for Marvin accidentally slipped onto the net in January, revealing the Paranoid Android to be a little robot played by none other than former Ewok Warwick Davis. Davis, who starred in Willow and all six (yes, six!) Leprechaun movies, also has a recurring role in the Harry Potter movies as Professor Flitwick. His credits include The Tenth Kingdom, The Chronicles of Narnia and The Fast Show's memorable spoof of The Singing Tree, as well as any other show requiring a 3'6" actor.

As yet unnounced at the time of going to press is Zaphod Beeblebrox, though SFX has been told by sources close to the production that he will be played by a "big name" American actor.

A lot of sources are claiming that Stephen Moore will reprise his role as the voice of Marvin, based entirely on a listing on the Internet Movie Database. But that role has definitely not been cast and, since it's something that will be added in post-production, probably won't be for some time. Stephen Moore is being considered, but no decision has been made.

Garth Jennings, one half of top video duo Hammer and Tongs, makes his directorial debut on the film, with his partner Nick Goldsmith producing. Marvin, the Vogons and other costumes are being built by the Jim Henson Creature Shop while the graphics to accompany the readouts are being designed by London-based video makers Shynola.

"Hammer and Tongs have asked us to do all the Guide entries," Shynola told XLR8R magazine. "It's a huge task for us, because at the moment we don't have the computer power to create film-sized frames, and, as there are only four of us, it will be months and months of work. It's a nerd's wet dream, really : not only do we get to work on a cult sci-fi novel that we all love, we also get to buy a whole load of new computer equipment to work on."

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy starts shooting at Elstree in April, with location work including a trip to Iceland. Further news may have broken while we were at the printers. fortunately, former SFX-er and Douglas Adams biographerMJ Simpson posts daily updates on the progress of the film, the new radio series ... and other Hitchhiker's news on his website Magrathea (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mjs2000), so check there for updates.
"

Ok, so it's not quite ALMOST HERE, but this is the most news I've heard since ... well ... ever!

As far as I'm concerned, the cast and details look great (Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast - yay!), with one minor exception ... an AMERICAN HIP HOP STAR AS FORD PREFECT?! Ford is my favourite fictional character EVER! And the joke of his character was that he was trying to blend in, so everything about him needed to be "nicely inconspicous". An American Hip Hop star is not "nicely inconspicous" in England. And the fact that he was in the Italian Job remake does NOT do him any favours.

Harrumph. Other than that .... YAY!
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:19 AM   #40
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle

Sounds great. Mos Def will be an interesting choice. It would've been better if they cast a british guy but oh well. cant have everything.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:32 AM   #41
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

Great, this is awsome news!

What company is producing this?
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:24 AM   #42
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

So Marvin will be a midget? Hmm, okay. As long as they keep his great words of wisdom. And a rapper for Ford? Hmmm, okay, I don't actually know him so I can't bash him...

But other than that...

YAAAY!!!
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 08:37 AM   #43
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

It's getting closer to actuality. It began shooting in Arpil. Oh the anticipitation is going to kill me.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:45 PM   #44
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

The cast according to IMDB ...

Well, there's a copule of worrying choices (I'm still peeved about Mos Def ) but if this is anything to go by ... Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast? Brilliant!
Old Jul 10, 2004, 08:03 AM   #45
pilgrimine
Starfighter
58 flights since May 2004

In my opinion it will have to be good! I mean REALLY good!

The bbc series was absolutely pathetic and the books are far too good to be ruined, so come on impress me!!!!
pilgrimine is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)