Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)

Don't Panic

Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:26 AM   #76
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide?

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous

Marvin looks ... weird That's all I can say about that, really

My favourite Marvin was the one from the TV series. Absolutely awesome and one of my favourite robots ever. Even after watching this film, I'll still imagine Marvin looking like he did in the TV show when I read the books.

"Your plastic pal who's fun to be wiiith..."
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:41 PM   #77
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

I just noticed a couple of new things in the poster...

Above the 42 made out of stars, is a sperm whale. And slightly above the R in the title, is something like looks like a cup of tea.

Old Jan 19, 2005, 04:46 AM   #78
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

The more I look at Ford, the way he's standing, the look in his eyes (CGI masked for the movie to show his lack of blinking, I wonder)... gives me hope.

Serieously! I can't ****ing take it!.

Why can't it come out now?!
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 02:26 PM   #79
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

hmm looking at the pics on IMDB and i didnt relize that marvins head was so huge... I love it!
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:28 PM   #80
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall

I think it's a little to huge. But that's ok.

I just watched the trailer...again. It brought me to tears. I've waited so long for this, I just can't wait anymore.

I've started marking they days till the opening day on my calander. Or atleast I was, but I broke the pencil when my hand jerked.

I'm going to go watch the teaser again.

I've never anticipated a movie this much before in my life (With exception to Silent HIll). And that will likely be my downfall.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:45 PM   #81
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Who's Zaphod's other head?
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:47 PM   #82
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Hey! Stephen Fry is playing the Guide! Excellent casting!
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 07:07 PM   #83
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I don't think Zaphod has another head

But on the plus side ... Stephen Fry!!!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 08:09 PM   #84
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

no second head? well at least it saves them the trouble of bugeting in all that CG work.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 08:16 AM   #85
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

I know. It might still work, though, I'm pathetically and uncharacteristically optimistic about this film.

I've almost wet myself in antici - oh ... um ... excuse me ...
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:14 AM   #86
SF_not_Sci-Fi
n/a flights since

I too have inexplicable high hopes...
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:48 AM   #87
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Quote:
From FreezeDriedMovies.com:

" The movie started strong and continued to hold pace through the rest of the film, which is a rarity now days. A large portion of the film was just how I imagined it in the book, especially the Improbability Drive. "

FILM SCORE: 10 / 10
by: Bob G. Smithe

The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy: (A Work Print Review By Bob G. Smithe) You wonít find any real spoilers on this one cause I donít like giving away good movies.

Greetings all, Bob G. here again with another splendiferous review, this time shifting gears into sci-fi comedy with, The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. I must tell you I loved this film, I take no issue with any liberties as Douglas Adams shared screenwriting credit on this one so any changes made were obviously approved. For those who donít know, this is the story of Arthur Dent, who is rescued from Earthís destruction by good friend and Betelgeusian Ford Prefect and their adventures from that point forward.

The movie started strong and continued to hold pace through the rest of the film, which is a rarity now days. A large portion of the film was just how I imagined it in the book, especially the Improbability Drive. The overall design of the film was very inspired and kept the irreverent tone of the books without becoming outlandish or out-right silly. Iíve seen some complaints about the filmís design and FX, it seems some people forgot we were watching a work print, yes some of the FX look a little iffy, but thatís because itís not done yet. So yes, things like Zaphodís third arm and second head looked a bit out of place, but when itís finished and all slicked out itíll look fine. Even with the unfinished FX they did a good job mixing models & men in suits with CGI, there was nothing I saw that was out of place at all. All roughness aside the FX worked well, the costumes were great, and the creature design was wonderful! I love the way the Vogonís look in this, maintaining some elements of the BBC mini while doing something new with it.

The performances were top notch, yes they werenít all British, but who says they have to be just because Douglas Adams was, Arthur was Arthur, Ford was Ford, etc. Besides, most of the characters are aliens and why should all aliens talk in a British accent? Mos Def really impressed me as Ford, I was worried that they would update the character make him from the South Bronx or Long Beach and homie him out, luckily for us he is Ford Prefect. Itís nice to see someone from the hip hop community playing someone who isnít a spin on the usual rap characters, and he pulled it off quite well. Sam Rockwell as Zaphod was a great mix of George W. swagger and bumbling idiot (although some would say that those are one and the same). The way he carries himself in the film you can tell he was having fun with it and that translates into laughs from the audience. Zooey Deschanel was, at times, was a little dry as Trillian but overall her performance was very heartfelt. Alan Rickmanís voice work as Marvin was perfect, it fit the personality like a glove and I wish there was more of him, thereís quite a bit, but you can always use more. Martin Freeman was Arthur Dent, just as Iíd pictured him, right down to the bathrobe, every bit as awkward and confused as Iíd remembered him from the book, and yes he is British.

There are added scenes and such but these were all things written by Douglas Adams for the script, so itís not really in my opinion anyplace to argue faithfulness to the book. Each adaptation has incorporated new things and taken out some old things, all these changes approved by Adams so I see no reason really to nit pick any of it. It was entertaining and thatís the most important part. One can make changes to anything it is all a matter of if it works, and in this case any added scenes, love story, story arcs, gags, etc. are firing on all cylinders. The love triangle did feel a bit forced at first but it was dispatched rather quickly, it really was only very brief then moved to the background. There were hints of it in the BBC Mini (I know because I just watched it), but it was conveyed more as Arthurís jealousy towards Zaphod for snatching Trillian up; rather than a fully realized love triangle.

One thing Iíd like to touch on is the music. They use various cues from older films, most notably in the beginning when they use one of the more prominent musical cues from Back To The Future and when they first show Deep Thought they use the cue from Raiders of the Lost Ark whenever the ark is brought up or looked upon. I found this to work very well on a comedic level and would recommend they keep those in the film. The title song So Long And Thanks For All The Fish is an instant classic and when the book flies the title out on screen to the old theme of the BBC Mini it was amazing! I wouldnít change a thing about the music it should be left as is.

Overall this is a really well done film, all it needs is to be finished and not released against Episode 3. Really it would be criminal to put this up against the bulldozer of box office cash that is Star Wars. If they put this out against something heavy like Kingdom of Heaven it will have a much better chance of making decent money. Yes there are changes, yes Ford Prefect is now a very funny black man, but none of these changes harm the story at all. I highly recommend seeing this film when it is released in May and suggest buying the DVD whenever it comes out and if they release a soundtrack you will want it! Iím also looking forward to the toys that NECA are putting out they look quite good.

Talk about The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy in the forums!
Find a mistake or something we missed? Let us know!

Old Feb 1, 2005, 07:41 PM   #88
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

<<Squeals>>

They're using a bit of the Hitchhiker's music?! I hope they keep that in, that would be spectacular to hear on the big screen (well done, Eagles, classic track )
Old Feb 12, 2005, 04:53 PM   #89
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall

Bump.

For obvious reasons.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:05 PM   #90
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

And now for some nifty cross-referancing - head here for Iwata's thread where he's posted a link for the new (non-teaser) trailer!

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)