Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies > Next (2007)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old Jun 2, 2006, 09:35 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Nick Cage

Quote:
Cage Finds Himself In Next

Nicolas Cage—who is producing and starring in Next, a film adaptation of the Philip K. **** SF short story "The Golden Man"—told SCI FI Wire that he felt comfortable infusing his character with elements of his own personality—such as an interest in odd phenomena. Cage plays Cris Johnson, a man who can see two minutes into the future. "It occurred to me that Cris Johnson would be somebody that would really be interested in unusual natural phenomena, because he is an unusual natural phenomenon," Cage said in an interview on the film's set in the Port of Los Angeles on June 1. "So he would have an interest in natural history. He would have an interest in bizarre incidents. He would have an interest in the supernatural, science itself, anything that could help explain his condition."

Such an interest just happens to be one of Cage's own. "He's always spouting these little ... smatterings of things he's learned," Cage said. "And so I'm sort of bombarding [co-star] Jessica Biel with all these tidbits of wisdom that Cris Johnson may have." Such as a real-life incident in which fish fell out of the sky? "Yeah, raining fish," Cage said with a smile. "That came out of improv that [director] Lee [Tamahori] was just shooting, and I started talking about raining fish, because I do have the laser disc at home about an incident that happened, I think it was in Norway, where it did rain fish. And that sounded fascinating to me, so I thought Cris would know about that. Maybe there's a correlation between raining fish and seeing into the future."

In Next, Cage's Johnson finds himself the object of an intense search by the FBI, which wants to recruit him to fight a terrorist threat in Los Angeles. Julianne Moore plays FBI agent Callie Ferris, and Biel plays a woman with whom Johnson becomes involved. Cage signed on to the project because of an interest in ****'s work and a desire to broaden his career—which includes an Oscar win for Leaving Las Vegas—into science fiction. But with a Nicolas Cage twist.

"I'm not the sort of fellow who really wants to broadcast my own contributions, but as I said, when I reread the script, there were a lot of changes made, and it occurred to me that I needed to do something to revitalize the character," Cage said. "And ... I'd been thinking a lot about the notion that there are people who may or may not have powers, and what would you do if you were born with powers that could be possibly very terrifying and uncomfortable for others around you? For example, seeing into your future. So it occurred to me, how could I play that part, and what could I do with that part that would seem real and also protect the character from being labeled a freak? So I thought, 'Well, he could hide in plain sight. He could be a magician in Vegas.' And these people, sometimes you see them, and you go, 'How do they do that?' So my thing was, have him use the magic act as a disguise for the reality, which is that he really does have powers. So that was the main thrust of the change that I made. And I'm very excited about it, and I think it's working really well. And I'm blessed to work with Julianne Moore and Jessica Biel, who are both doing a great job. I have to admit it was a bit of an adjustment for everybody, because I just went to screen tests in a [blue velvet] tux with a ruffled shirt, so I could play a magician. So it was like, 'Whoa, what are you doing? What is this? I'm not sure I want to be in this movie.'" Next is currently in production, with an eye to a September 2007 release. —Patrick Lee, News Editor
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Nick Cage

I'm not sure I've read the original story...will have to flick through my anthology books and see if I have it.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:32 PM   #3
golden
Recruit Pilot
13 flights since Apr 2006

The premise sounds very interesting even though I'm not a big Nick Cage fan (as of late) with Julianne Moore and Jessica Biel in it it could be good.
golden is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:01 PM   #4
xXx
Sector Marshall
760 flights since Mar 2002

Nic sounds very Chistopher Walken-ish in that interview. I once heard Walken say that he ignores all punctuation in scripts. They make him mad. He'll end or emphasize his sentences any damn way he pleases.
xXx is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies > Next (2007)