Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Man is the warmest place to hide. | original guideremake guide

Old Nov 1, 2003, 03:18 PM   #1
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
The Thing on PS2.

Recently bought the Thing on the PS2. Very good game so far. The closest thing to actually being trapped inside a scifi horror movie. The atmosphere is nice and creepy and lonely, the emphasis isnt on shooting the monsters but on staying alive, something I prize in a game. I dont know if you know this, but Im somewhat of a survival horror nut. My favourite aspect is the mistrust. Just like in...real life? soldiers react to the surroundings, and to your behaviour. All of the troops mistrust each other, and you, and if you act overly suspicious they assume your an alien and shoot at you. So not entirely like real life. I get the feeling Iwata might like all the squad based stuff.

But anyway, my question is: how much like the movie is the game? Is the movie any good?
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 02:59 AM   #2
Kell
Wing Commander
163 flights since Mar 2003
Re: The Thing on PS2.

You. Haven't. Seen. John Carpenter's. The Thing?!?!?!?
And you call yourself a survival horror nut? Tsk. Best of the genre, that's what it is. And in my humble opinion, the best horror movie evar. The game was written as a sequel to the movie; I assume you know that. So you may have missed out on some of the experience of the game.
Oh wait, were you being sarcastic?
Kell is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 06:09 AM   #3
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

I'll tell you this, Jill.

I won the PS2 game on a contest over the web.

I played the first 10 minutes (the abandoned research base), paused the game, left house, took a 15-minute train ride to FNAC, and bought the DVD of the film.

For 2 reasons:

1- It's a sci-fi horror classic that I had not yet seen.

2- The game is the direct, official sequel to the movie. I bet you didn't know this, but Carpenter himself wrote the script for the game, as it was his story to begin with.

So, playing the game without having seen the film is like watching "Return of the Jedi" before seeing "Empire Strikes Back": You get the story eventually, but you miss a lot of details on the way.

Example of things related to the film (minor spoilers ahead):

- The destroyed helicopter outside the base
- The audio tape
- The "UFO" you found in the cave
- The dead body on the shed
- And a whole lot more.

So, in the words of someone who has been in your position, I'd advise you to do what I did: Stop playing the game NOW, and go watch the film. Don't even CONSIDER going back to the game without having seen the movie first.

After you do, begin the game again from scratch. You have my word, you'll enjoy the game a lot more, as you'll feel part of not only the game, but the movie as well.

Playing the game without the film is like, I'd say, reading a mistery novel and skip the chapters where people die.

Trust me on this. I've had the same doubt you have now.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 09:47 AM   #4
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

By Survival Horror Nut, Im referring to games. I've seen the first 20 mins or so of the movie, and Ive seen most of the original. As i recall, the thing in the original turned out to be some sort of vegetable...I know the gist of the Carpenter story, and Im aware of all the Carpenter connections. I consciously decided to buy the game first because then Im really in the dark, jut like the characters. But you reckon I should watch the movie first? Okdokee.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 03:59 PM   #5
Iwata
Autarch

Hey, I'm not enforcing it, just stating from my experience.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 05:44 PM   #6
Drone
Sector Marshall
584 flights since Jun 2002

Quote:
vegetable.

I believe it was a carrot or something.
Drone is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 02:03 PM   #7
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Does that mean it could see in the dark?

As luck would have it, I think its on tomorrow night...
Old Nov 3, 2003, 02:16 PM   #8
Iwata
Autarch

Quote:
I get the feeling Iwata might like all the squad based stuff.

Didn't notice this earlier.

Yes, Iwata very much likes squad based stuff.

That's why "Freedom Fighters" for the PS2 is now my reason for being.
Old May 26, 2004, 02:29 AM   #9
merlin
n/a flights since

theres a part of the game im stuck on where you enter a room and the door jams then a creature drops down from the roof and one breaks out of a glass case the bastards grease me before i can get to the weapons at the end of the room, even after i replayed it and had more weapons when i entered.

Any suggestions?
Old May 26, 2004, 07:43 AM   #10
Iwata
Autarch

I don't remember that bit.
Old May 26, 2004, 08:07 AM   #11
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

Ill need th check where it is as i gave up on it in the room is a creature in a glass case and some weapons cases at the back, the only problem is the bastard that drops from the ceiling breaks the case and its a nightmare trying to defeat the two of them. as i havnt been able to.
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 08:11 AM   #12
Iwata
Autarch

Can't remember mate. Haven't played the game in ages.

But I'm sure if you search the web you will find walkthroughs for the game telling you how to cheat... er, I mean, how to pass that particular nasty bit.
Old May 26, 2004, 05:37 PM   #13
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

I'll admit it, I turn to walk throughs in times of extreme need. I see nothing wrong with, so long as you don't use the walkthrough as a crutch.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 08:05 PM   #14
Iwata
Autarch

I hate the bloody things. Why would you buy a game if you're going to make sure you win everytime? I like to play not only to have fun while doing so, but also to feel frustrated and bolstered by defeat, and force myself to keep going and find a way to win.

If I wanted to win everytime, I'd just buy a crappy FPS and shoot bots for a bit.
Old May 27, 2004, 04:39 AM   #15
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

And then shoot them when they're dead? (Mumble....)

While I hate the idea of buying a walkthrough guide, I do occasionally turn to the internet in times of desperate need. (Notably trying to work out how to fight a gigantic underwater Lovecraftian monster with a hairdryer in Silent Hill..) When you absolutely can't get any further in the game, sometimes its necessary...

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]