Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Man is the warmest place to hide. | original guideremake guide

View Poll Results: What did you think of the Thing?
Loved It 6 85.71%
Hated It 0 0%
Haven't Seen It 1 14.29%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 13, 2002, 05:05 PM   #1
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001
Thumbs up Re: Classic!

I loved this film. I saw it when I was 4. I love it! It is a must watch and/or a must have for that sci-fi fan who has a sci-fi movie collection like I do. So what do you think of The Thing?
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2002, 05:11 PM   #2
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Classic!

I haven't seen this one. I take it it's a good film then I'll catch it on video if I ever see it floating around. Kurt Russel, right?
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2002, 08:21 PM   #3
angry predator
Pilot
37 flights since Mar 2001
Angry Re: Classic!

Don't miss it, it's one of the 3 best movies on this site! It has a ton of tension and it comes off as a much more real situation than most sci-fi movies. The original is good too, but it seems odd because in the remake everyone is so tense throughout it and in the original the characters don't really seem scared, they are cracking jokes as if they are in a Bruce Willis movie.
angry predator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2002, 03:53 PM   #4
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Yeah your right, the remake in my mind is better though. Because it was so tense and if "the thing" could be anything, anyone at anytime anywhere. Which really added to the suspense and tension of the movie.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2002, 04:48 PM   #5
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Actially, it's on the SciFi Channel (UK) this Friday, so I'll make sure I watch it, if it's this highly recommended
Old Mar 16, 2002, 08:29 PM   #6
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

It is trully a masterwork, and it stayed true to the spirit of Campbell's story to boot! That Unregistered fellow from the SST forum should use this as an object lesson when he finds himself unable to tell art from crap.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2002, 12:01 AM   #7
darkjedi
Sector Marshall
609 flights since Mar 2002

I think this is one of the best Sci-Fi/Horror movies ever made. John Carpenter has to be one of my favorite directors. I remember watching this movie for the first time in 6th grade and that part where the dog's face splits open scared the living he** out of me. The whole movie everyone was so uptight about everything. The DVD is great for its special features of the trailer and making of the Thing. There has been a comic book series about it from DarkHorse comics and they're great. The comics start off where the movie ended with MacCready(I don't remember how to spell it) and Chiles sitting out in the cold waiting for the other to make his move. There is also going to be a video game that takes up after the movie left off on the X-Box, kind of like Resident Evil.
darkjedi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2002, 01:46 AM   #8
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by darkjedi
There is also going to be a video game that takes up after the movie left off on the X-Box, kind of like Resident Evil.
And do not forget the original short story that it was based on: Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2002, 04:37 PM   #9
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Friday comes and goes, and did I catch the Thing on the Scifi Channel? Of course not, there's always something going wrong

I walked into a second-hand video shop and what did I find? John Carpenter's The Thing : for 2.00 . I bought it. I watched it. I have two words to describe it:

****ing. Brilliant.

And guess what movie's being repeated on the Scifi channel tonight???
Old Apr 6, 2002, 02:24 PM   #10
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

What's everyone's favourite scene in this movie? I love the part when the Thing grows the spider legs to escape.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2002, 03:46 PM   #11
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by angry predator
Don't miss it, it's one of the 3 best movies on this site!

Just wondering but...what are the other 2?
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:35 AM   #12
MovieMad
Starfighter
150 flights since Jul 2002

It was on really late once but i was so tired i didn't think much of it(i know, im a sad person) The only part i saw was the start when it was in the shape of a wolf i think?
MovieMad is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:26 PM   #13
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

Sounds like a good idea for another thread if someone hasnt set one allready,

Omega2064

Quote:
Originally posted by NeXus_6
What's everyone's favourite scene in this movie? I love the part when the Thing grows the spider legs to escape.
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:27 AM   #14
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

the sfx in this film are still awesome even to this day. Ron Bottin/Stan Winston are the undisputed kings of the old school sfx. CGI has its place if done right but I don't think The Thing would have been as half as scary had they used cgi
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]