Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Man is the warmest place to hide. | original guideremake guide

Old May 18, 2002, 05:10 AM   #1
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Favourite scene?

my fave bit in this movie is the whole scene where the stomach bites the arms off up to the bit when the head falls off and grows spider legs. that scene is just cool! whats your fave bit?
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2002, 06:58 AM   #2
darkjedi
Sector Marshall
609 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Favourite scene?

Mine has to be the blood test scene. I think that has to be the most intense part of the movie.
darkjedi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2002, 07:39 PM   #3
Dajistano
326 flights since Jun 2002
Thumbs down The Thing Blows

The special effects in this movie are repulsive, slimy and just plain disgusting! It might have been a good movie if they cut the FX some.

"I'll be back....to terminate John Carpenter for this movie."
Dajistano is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2002, 03:11 AM   #4
Charlie
Wing Commander
342 flights since Mar 2002

It has to be the blood test clip, as Darkjedi points out. The suspense/style in that scene has been stolen again and re-used
many times.
Charlie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:51 PM   #5
darkjedi
Sector Marshall

And the F/X in Predator were outstanding? Come on now, if you watched the interview with John Carpenter, you would understand why the F/X in The Thing weren't Lucasfilm standard. He wanted to get away from the old 'just a man in a suit' creature and went the other way with help from Stan Winston. Because when you look at other monsters and how their made, like Aliens, Predator, etc., they're all just a man in a suit.
Old Jul 8, 2002, 04:50 PM   #6
Unregistered
n/a flights since

yeah,i agree the special effects dont make the movie great ,its the tension between the characters and you cant fault it for that,
i know i will probably get loads of people disagreeing but i prefer this film to alien
this film deserves a sequel....
Old Jul 20, 2002, 09:07 AM   #7
darkjedi
Sector Marshall

If they do it like they're doing the game I think it might work out. Taking off where the movie ended and going from there.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 01:50 PM   #8
Clark Nova
Pilot
21 flights since Dec 2002

its the tension and the interaction with the characters combined with their isolation from the real world which makes this film chilling. remember the first alien movie was the same. a group of several people battling a malevolent alien, isolated from the world unable to call for help. in the things case they were in anatarctica 'a 1000 miles from nowhere' and in the case of alien they were in deep space.
Clark Nova is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 05:16 AM   #9
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

The blood test scene by far - you had all the right ingrediants: suspense, tension, horror, gore and some light relief at the end of the scene when Garry says: "I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter tied to this ****ing couch!!"
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]