Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Man is the warmest place to hide. | original guideremake guide

View Poll Results: Should John Carpenter make another Thing?
Yes 7 41.18%
No 9 52.94%
Maybe 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 26, 2002, 11:06 PM   #1
darkjedi
Sector Marshall
609 flights since Mar 2002
Thing sequel?

Do you think John Carpenter should make a sequel to The Thing? I would love it, if it was done right.
darkjedi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2002, 04:33 PM   #2
Charlie
Wing Commander
342 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Thing sequel?

John Carpenter is a fantastic storyteller--but I hope he leaves "The Thing" just as it is---a perfectly scary movie. It has to be one of the Squads favourites.
Charlie is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2002, 01:51 AM   #3
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Right. There are plenty of other stories waiting t be told. The primary reason why there should be no sequel to the film is this: John Wood Campbel never wrote a sequel to the story. Why didn't he write a sequel to the story? Because no sequel was nessesary and there were plenty of other stories to be told!
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2002, 05:56 AM   #4
darkjedi
Sector Marshall
609 flights since Mar 2002

I agree that it was a great movie and story and that it doesn't really need a sequel but, come on, it would be great to at least find out what truly happened to MacReady and Chiles. Wouldn't you agree?
darkjedi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2002, 02:46 PM   #5
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by darkjedi

I agree that it was a great movie and story and that it doesn't really need a sequel but, come on, it would be great to at least find out what truly happened to MacReady and Chiles. Wouldn't you agree?

In the new Thing game for the PC and PS2 we'll find out
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2002, 09:00 AM   #6
DEF^DFA^SST
Starfighter
85 flights since Nov 2000

i agree, they should make a sequel and sort of follow what ALIENS did.

Just like in the game they sent in Rescue squads and saved Childs and MCready then after a month or so they lost contact with the Rescue Squads who stayed to rebuild the station.

Maybe McReady's wife was a scientist and was sent in to find out what happened but she also disappeared along with the rest of the Rescue squad.

So they informed McReady that his wife is missing. McReady then asked that he should be allowed to join the Search Party and Childs also be allowed to join.

But when they arrive at the Station , no one was there and McReady figured that they might be at the spaceship, the one they found in the original movie.

So, off they go went looking for the spaceship and found it and they went inside to look for the others. When they got there, all Hell broke Lose, there was gunfight everywhere. Lots of creepy Aliens that was hard to kill.

And in the end, McReady and Childs blew the spaceship up, everyone is dead except for the 3 of them, Mcready, Childs and his wife....

Last edited by DEF^DFA^SST : Aug 28, 2002 at 09:06 AM.
DEF^DFA^SST is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 05:53 PM   #7
RayRogers2019
Starfighter
75 flights since Jan 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States of America, Western Hemisphere, TERRA (Earth)

The game is a sequel to the movie...
RayRogers2019 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 02:53 PM   #8
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Preciselly. For those who are unaware, the survival/horror game for the PS2 and the PC IS the sequel to the movie. And no, it's not a ruined piece of license, on the contrary, it was co-written byu Carpenter himself, so, it's as the master wishes it.

on a side-note, the game is a very good one at that. Very atmospheric, and especially enjoyable if you are a fan of the movie.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 02:25 PM   #9
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

No no no no no - a THOUSAND times no!!!

This movie had one of those endings that cries out - WORK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF! Like Cube, like Ginger Snaps, like ET - this movie does NOT need a sequal!

If I ever hear rumours of a sequal I'll go nuts! Nuts, I tell you!!!

Seriously, though, the story is told. I haven't played the game, but if it tells the continuation, fine - but cinematically, it's over.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 03:06 PM   #10
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous
No no no no no - a THOUSAND times no!!!

This movie had one of those endings that cries out - WORK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF! Like Cube, like Ginger Snaps, like ET - this movie does NOT need a sequal!

If I ever hear rumours of a sequal I'll go nuts! Nuts, I tell you!!!

Seriously, though, the story is told. I haven't played the game, but if it tells the continuation, fine - but cinematically, it's over.

Whate he said.

I heard a rumour of a remake of the remake...weird. Probably a step-by-step one like Psycho and the only reason it's being made is they've got CGI.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 03:51 PM   #11
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Well, as I said, Carpenter wrote the story for the sequel, AKA: the videogame.

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

So far, this is what happened: A U.S. Army research facility has been constructed over the UFO crash site to further study it. two rescue teams went to the Outpost where McReady fought The Thing to see what happened.

Now, if you remember correctly, Childs and McReady were the only survivors. Well, turns out Child's body was found, bur McReady is nowhere to be found. MEanwhile, one the 2 rescue teams is attacked by "unknown creatrures", who leave only one survivor, paranoid and absolutelly freaked out.

This is the point I've gotten to so far. I haven't had many chances to play it, but it's a hell of an engaging game. And having loved the movie, I can't wait to see what is going on here.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 05:22 AM   #12
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi

...... I would love it, if it was done right.

I voted no, because you've highlighted the very reason why they shouldn't bother.

The original was class, but with most sequels these days they are never "done right". Either they dump any semblence of a decent story and go wild with loads of tedious cgi sfx, or the story is highly convoluted and slow with the sfx wound down to number 2 on the fright scale.

I don't think there will be a sequel but I guess there will be a remake. Its much easier to do a remake as you just update the original: but again it doesn't always pay off (The Haunting, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Poseidon, The Ring, Grudge et al)
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 03:46 PM   #13
Revan
Starfighter
51 flights since Sep 2004

The game is a sequel indeed, actually I beated it, but because of a glitch or a bug whenever I finish the game I cant see the final movie/scene so I dont know what happens. I heard rumours that this end scene shows how MacReady comes to save you with a helicopter. How he survived I dont know. But the game is pretty good, I wish I could see that end scene.
Revan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:49 PM   #14
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

I think The Thing as it stands should stay and dont forget The Thing is already a remake. If you want further sequel material check out The Thing from another world stories dark Horse did a few years ago. The first Two parter was written by Chuck Pfarrier (of Virus fame) and illustrated by the Master John Higgins.

I would prefer to see a prequel showing what happened in the Norwegean camp and finishing with the chasing after the dog.

But not done by John Carpenter as his recent outings (Escape from L.A Ghosts of Mars are utter crap)
merlin is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]