Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Man is the warmest place to hide. | original guideremake guide

Old Oct 27, 2002, 05:33 PM   #1
Unregistered
n/a flights since
the thing

this movie rocks, however the ending confused me. i thought that maybe both the survivors were infested by the thing's dna, and awaiting the moment to freeze.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 05:54 PM   #2
darkjedi
Sector Marshall
609 flights since Mar 2002
Re: the thing

The ending has been questioned since this movie came out. There are many theories as to what happened to Childs and MacCreedy at the end. Mine is that Childs was infected and MacCreedy knew it. The whole movie Childs never drank anything the entire movie and then at the end Childs drinks some bourbon and Mac just laughed to himself. Now in the game, you find Child's body so I was guessing neither was infected.
darkjedi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 04:58 PM   #3
Unregistered
n/a flights since

I think both MacReady and Childs are both uninfected. Here's why:

*MacReady had just killed the Blair/Thing monster. If he had been infected after the blood test, he certainly would not have killed the giant Thing. Afterwards, he is wandering around with a blanket waving a bottle of scotch. Obviously un-Thing-like behaviour.
*When Childs approaches MacReady at the end of the movie, he is armed with a flamethrower. Seeing as how MacReady was the Thing's biggest threat throughout the movie, its unlikely that Childs would go through all the trouble to imitate Mac if he had been infected. He would probably just douse him with the flamethrower.

Anyhow, that's just the impression that I got from the movie. Feel free to debunk my assessment.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 05:07 AM   #4
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

I think it was intentionally left open-ended just to make the audience decide for themselves whether one or both guys are infected or not.

It was a good ending in that even though the hero, MacReady seemingly killed off the monster he probably wouldn't have survived more than a couple of days in the freezing cold afterwards. So it wasn't necessarily a typical ending but opened up more questions than it answered
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]