Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Soylent Green (1973)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Soylent Green (1973)

People will do anything to get what they need. And they need SOYLENT GREEN. | guide

Old Nov 13, 1999, 12:09 PM   #1
Joshua Michael Downham
n/a flights since
Re: A Great Flick! [SPOILERS]

Soylent Green, like Logan's Run, is greatly underrated. Besides Planet of the Apes, it is Charlton Heston's best sci-fi film. It's better than The Omega Man in every aspect you can think of. What made Soylent Green such a terrific film was the final performance of Edward G. Robinson as Sol, a man who talks only about the past and complains about the present. The ending is a great payoff, but one gets the feeling that Hatcher doesn't really believe that soylent green is really people and thinks Thorne(Heston) is a nut. The ending also left a door open for a sequel, but unfortunately, that didn't happen.
Old Dec 7, 1999, 04:03 PM   #2
Audora
n/a flights since
Red face Demented

What a grim picture of a possible future reality!
Old Jan 9, 2000, 01:59 PM   #3
Maka
n/a flights since
Wink A Really Great Flick!

Soylent Green gives a very good idea of what the world might turn out to be, maybe not in 2022, but 2092. The ending was a great idea, giving us the impression that Hatcher doesn't believe Thorn (played by the great and talented Charlton Heston) that Soylent Green is made of people and giving the movie a type of "bad" ending. (bad in the sense that people will continue to eat soylent green not knowing what it really is).

I think this is a typical Charlton Heston ending (which i love), like in Omega Man (he dies but still manages to save the human race) and Planet of the Apes (he dies but manages to set off the nuclear bomb, destroying everything), except that in this movie he looses. This was a great suprise to me, but a fabulous way to end the movie-

"Soylent Green is People!"
Old Jan 24, 2000, 05:30 PM   #4
Daniel
n/a flights since
Post In response to Jushua Michael Downham

There was going to be a sequel. The screeplay had been written but right before shooting they decided not to.

I loved this sci fi movie!
Old Mar 3, 2000, 07:53 PM   #5
Brian Roper
n/a flights since
Talking Re: A Great Flick! [SPOILERS]

Soylent Green tasted better than Catholic Communion wafers.
Old Mar 28, 2000, 08:52 AM   #6
Spotinky
n/a flights since
Red face Re: A Great Flick! [SPOILERS]

Great movie, great book. A wonderful warning to all about the phrase, "Ignorance is bliss." Who knows, maybe all that green St. Paddy's day beer was people...
Old Jul 3, 2000, 04:12 PM   #7
Arcc
n/a flights since
Exclamation It's people!!

Soylent Green is people!!
Old Jul 23, 2000, 10:35 AM   #8
ryan a. scott
n/a flights since
Hopefully not a future that'll come true anytime soon

Good movie overall, and it does reflect the sensibilities of the 70s. Humorously enough, no one uses computers at all in the movie, but she plays that video game, which made me first wonder if that was an antique she had found!

Anyway, in response to Maka saying this might be what it is in 2092, not 2022, although I will likely not be around in 2092, i would hope a future this bleak wouldn't be a reality even then. A lot of it's up to us humans, as well as faith in the higher power. AIDS, for instance, in African countries is likely to control a lot of the population. I know it sounds horrible to say a deadly disease might control population, but nature has a way of controlling population. Yet, they don't want to use the dead people as Soylent Green to help combat hunger. J/K!

No, but anyway, I just hope we don't get to a future like that even towards the end of the 21st century. The movie and story are meant to shake you up a bit, though, and realize what we should continue to do to try to help the environment. And I do believe we can help it, and restore a lot of the beauty. It will take time, though, and that will help us reflect on what not to do again.

Ryan
Old Jul 30, 2001, 01:47 AM   #9
n/a flights since
Re: A Great Flick! [SPOILERS]

you're very optimistic, or perhaps naive
Old Nov 5, 2002, 12:38 PM   #10
Unregistered
n/a flights since
CHASEN'S CHILI

SOYLENT GREEN TASTES LIKE CHASEN'S CHILI !!!!!!
Old Dec 5, 2002, 08:58 PM   #11
TrojanGreen
n/a flights since
Talking Soylent Humor

Before watching this movie for my writing class I had only seen the Saturday Night Live skit with Phil Hartman, but the ending had already been ruined, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun with those who are still unfamiliar:

Should anyone ever ask, "Who's in Soylent Green?" the obvious response is, of course, "People."
Old Dec 5, 2002, 08:59 PM   #12
TrojanGreen
n/a flights since
Talking Soylent Humor

Before watching this movie for my writing class I had only seen the Saturday Night Live skit with Phil Hartman. The ending had already been ruined, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun with those who are still unfamiliar:

Should anyone ever ask, "Who's in Soylent Green?" the obvious response is, of course, "People."
Old Jan 24, 2003, 11:15 PM   #13
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Thumbs up Soylent Green

Absolutely Agree with your view of Soylent Green, and all of Heston's science fiction movies. Disagree about Omega Man, though. That one tops the list for me. The man of reason against the barbarian masses. That movie was rational, individualist inspiration for me when I first saw it as a child. Nevertheless, all of them are great, and hard to find!!

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Soylent Green (1973)