Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Gattaca (1997)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Gattaca (1997)

There is no gene for the human spirit. | guide

Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:36 AM   #1
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Is Gattaca a film noir?

Do you tend to think Gattaca would be considered to belong in the film noir category, a film that is mainly if not wholly dark, bleak and dismal? Or do you think it could be considered a hopeful film, with hope and faith in human nature? Are there enough, if any, elements of hope and prevailing human spirit to suggest this?

Just wondering what other opinions people had.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 11:13 PM   #2
steph
Apprentice
4 flights since Oct 2003
Re: Is Gattaca a film noir?

I never thought of this flim as bleak as I think there is enough hope in the characters of Vincent, Jerome and Irene to give light to this flim, however i can understand see why people may see it as bleak. The start is defintely dark especially the music but it gets better as the movie goes along. I guess it depends which aspects you focus on, the dark surroundings or the heroics of the three characters
steph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:11 AM   #3
Unregistered
n/a flights since

That is the ideological confusion within Gattaca. A bleak picture is presented, warning of the dangers of a genome obcessed society while the human spirit is still powerful enough to overcome it by sheer will. The original ending of Gattaca better relays the importance of it's message but shocked and upset viewers so much it was changed for the final release. The narrative story that removes some of the bleakness from the film weakens its message and yet, makes it more accessible. A viable trade off for any movie producer.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 04:45 AM   #4
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Do you tend to think Gattaca would be considered to belong in the film noir category, a film that is mainly if not wholly dark, bleak and dismal? Or do you think it could be considered a hopeful film, with hope and faith in human nature? Are there enough, if any, elements of hope and prevailing human spirit to suggest this?

Film noir style is a part of the film but just a tiny part. The main genre in Gattaca is science fiction which often has film noirish things (see Blade Runner, Dark City...).
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 04:23 PM   #5
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Yes, the movie shows what power of the human will can do. But don't you get the feeling that Vincent is more of an exception than a rule if we look at him in the context of other naturally conceived? In the first scenes we see him riding on a cart with other god-children (meaning they all make up the lower classes of the society), but do they all have "what it takes" to make their dreams come true like he did? Somehow I just can't resist the feeling that, in the movie, naturally conceived people are a dying breed and Vincent is just one of the few that followed their own path despite their birth (so called "borrowed ladders")? Remember that Vincent wanted to get away from the planet and all that it represented - is it, maybe, because he couldn't find no one here who was like him, who didn't make peace with the situation given, eventhough there were other god-children? That preception of the world, the ultimate loneliness that followed him all his life, looks pretty noir to me.

p.s. why do you think he decided to gave his own urine at the end, to risk it all, when he practically accomplished what he wanted? I see a parallel here - maybe he wanted (after all the hardship he had to go through in his life) to put everything in the hands of fate - something like how the children are naturally conceived, what makes one of the main premises of the movie.
I hope I get some opinions.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 09:37 PM   #6
Anony
Starfighter
61 flights since Feb 2003

Actually I think you'll find the centre of the film isn't really science fiction... Sure, there are some elements of it, but nothing that isn't really already science fact, such as genetic testing, electric cars, the polluted atmosphere, etc.

What about the mystery aspect? From almost the start we're left with the question of "who dunnit?" in relation to the director's death. Or even "will Vincent get caught?" But at the same time, it's a drama movie, with a semi-love story between Irene and Vincent, and the trials Vincent must overcome.
Anony is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered

Essay question.

Yes, not for the flavour alone though, it is the mystery aspect combined. Gattaca will forever be a syllabus film, not just for the biological, but the ideological and yet in addition it managed to add so many more layers (noir, sci-fi, thriller) which trasncend it into a true milestone of cinema.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

Jude Law's best performance.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Stalking me, stalking you.

And without doubt. Nothing since, very little before.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Gattaca (1997)