Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Battlefield Earth (2000)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Battlefield Earth (2000)

Take back the planet. | guide

Old May 20, 2002, 04:10 PM   #1
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001
Angry So I'm reading the book now. Happy?

I am now up to page 530-something so I am about halfway through it. Not bad. Lots of suspense, and though the charecters are a bit flat, what else can you expect from an old pulp hack like Hubbard? But don't get me wrong, he is a pretty good writer as far as pulp hacks go.

It is quite a page-turner though. While the politics may be rather black-and-white (the pure all-american athlete-hero-genius Jonni Goodboy Tayler first fighting an unbalanced alien sociopath and then against a deformed, unbalanced and trecherous politition with his Facist sidekick, and a group of heartless Psychlo collaberator canibals.) it makes for good reading.

But I have found a bit of a contridiction just a moment ago: If Terl knew about the Brigants all the time, why did he take the trouble to capture a human locally and educate him in Psychlo? Why didn't he just buy some people from the Brigant General and have them round up some slaves to do his dirty work? Hubbard must have come up with the whole Brigant thing on the fly or else he would have noticed the contridiction. Sloppy sloppy!
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2002, 04:24 PM   #2
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001
Re: So I'm reading the book now. Happy? Oh fly into the crap nebula!

I'm not so much happy you're reading the book, but I am pleased. I don't think it's the greatest science fiction novel of all time. The dialogue is just as cheasy as the movie (if you ask me). I think there is certain holes in the novel as well. We've already discussed a couple in the discussion thread. I did not care any more for the book Jonnie as I did for the film Jonnie. I find the second half of the book less interesting then the first. Politics to me isn't always interesting. Even though it kept some interest because it's primitive man discovering old politics. It's not the best book, but a pretty good book none the less.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2002, 07:44 PM   #3
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Maybe Terl thought that the brigantes were to stupid or not worth the time. It does look like a hole.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2002, 12:09 AM   #4
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tack
Maybe Terl thought that the brigantes were to stupid or not worth the time. It does look like a hole.
Ah, but then Terl though this of all humans. He could not tell the difference between them, especially in the begining!

There is also the fact that Terl had known about roumors of the Brigantes' canibalisim all along, and yet had to preform an 'experiment' to find out what the 'animal' ate! Hubbard did not plan the book very well, and probebly wrote it on the fly. This also explains its ridiclous size.
Old May 21, 2002, 01:06 AM   #5
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Oh yes, and what are all of these references to the Crap Nebula? Is there realy such a nebula?

Notice that as the page numbers get higher the word 'butt' is used less and less by cussing Psychlos and the word 'crap' becomes predominent. I see it as a metaphore the plot of the novel.
Old May 21, 2002, 01:12 AM   #6
JACKER
The Paradisal Man

HOLY CRAP!!! You've uncovered the metaphore for the whole book. But it isn't about the story. What if in some way there is a metaphore by the way a corporation has taken over the world. All of humanity lost everything they have gained and suffered for, because a corporation was desperate to make a profit. I also think we need to re-think the messages into space thing. I mean that can just get us in all kinds of trouble.

Oh and I didn't necessarily mean it actually was about the "crap nebula" thing.
Old May 21, 2002, 01:22 AM   #7
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

No, I am just saying that it stated out a fair mixture of butt and crap, but eventually became just streight crap

And as to the books politics:
1) corperations are bad
2) governments are bad. People will get along without them.
3) all creatures (even Psychlos) are naturally good
4) Dunna mess wi' a Scot!
5) Good guys wear white hats, bad guys wear black hats and are nessesrily deranged and canibalistic.

So Hubbard was a libiral, an Anarchist a Scottish nationalist and a dimwit. Who woulda figured?
Old May 21, 2002, 01:25 AM   #8
JACKER
The Paradisal Man

Quote:
Originally posted by SF_not_Sci-Fi
1) corperations are bad
4) Dunna mess wi' a Scot!

So Hubbard was a libiral, an Anarchist and a Scottish nationalist. Who woulda figured?

Don't remember, did he say anything about the Irish?

"SHHH! We don't use the I word in this house." Last week's Smpsons.
Old May 21, 2002, 01:29 AM   #9
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally posted by JACKER

Don't remember, did he say anything about the Irish?
Thats just it... they didn't survive the original Psychlo invasion!
Old May 21, 2002, 01:33 AM   #10
JACKER
The Paradisal Man

But if I remember your politics somewhat, arent these your politics - the Scots and the white hat thing?

Quote:
Originally posted by SF_not_Sci-Fi
1) corperations are bad

So Hubbard was a libiral, an Anarchist a Scottish nationalist and a dimwit. Who woulda figured?
Old May 22, 2002, 12:39 AM   #11
Ender
Wing Commander
305 flights since Apr 2002
Re: So I'm reading the book now. Happy?

[But I have found a bit of a contridiction just a moment ago: If Terl knew about the Brigants all the time, why did he take the trouble to capture a human locally and educate him in Psychlo? Why didn't he just buy some people from the Brigant General and have them round up some slaves to do his dirty work? [/b][/quote]

ok. terl knew the story of the brignates. but first: they were on a different continent. 2: the story was such, that terl knew they were not normal or regular humnas. 3: knowing the story, as all security chiefs did, would you trust them for anything??? 4:it was sorta taboo to deal with them other than the exchianges they made.
i thought of it the first time i read the book, but i dont think its a hole. he wanted an animal to call HIS.
Ender is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 12:51 AM   #12
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
Re: Re: So I'm reading the book now. Happy?

he wanted an animal to call HIS. [/b][/quote]

How sweet! Just make sure he doesen't pee on the floor. That scene(for the movie) was actually in the first draft of the script. It's a shame it wasn't used.
Old May 22, 2002, 01:28 AM   #13
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
Re: Re: So I'm reading the book now. Happy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ender

ok. terl knew the story of the brignates. but first: they were on a different continent. 2: the story was such, that terl knew they were not normal or regular humnas. 3: knowing the story, as all security chiefs did, would you trust them for anything??? 4:it was sorta taboo to deal with them other than the exchianges they made.
i thought of it the first time i read the book, but i dont think its a hole. he wanted an animal to call HIS.
first of all Terl did NOT see how these humans were all that different. He found it strange that cannibalism (the prime symptom, and possibly cause of the difference between them and the 'civilised' people) shocked the other humans so. He was also slightly surprised to find that the Brigantes had sold the coffins from the mourge, but then probebly classed it as typical 'animal' beheivior. You can plainly see that the first half of the book was written as if Terl had no contact w/ humans until he met Tayler. And then the Brigantes come out of left feild!

As for 'tusting' them, did terl realy 'trust' anyone?

And all terl had to do was to leave the General a messege that he needed to buy some slaves and borrow a few Psychlo-speaking Brigantes to handle them. If the pay were high enough, they would agree. We have seen this in the dealings that he eventually had with them.

As for them being too far ayay: he is the security cheif of the PLANET is he not? He could have contrived some errend.

And even if you are right, why didn't his original thoughts about the Brigantes apear in the begining of the book? Because Hubbard was writing on the fly and thought of it much later!
Old May 26, 2002, 10:30 PM   #14
JACKER
The Paradisal Man

You don't like L.Ron Hubbard much do you SF? Don't worry, me neither.
Old May 27, 2002, 12:37 AM   #15
Ender
Wing Commander
305 flights since Apr 2002

well i dont like the guy either. or at least didnt, he is not quite with us anymore. i dont respect gurus that much. but credit must be given when deserved, and this book is great.

and SF_not_scifie , its not so hard to poke holes like that in most any book. why did he not bring up the brigantes before? who knows. mabey the editor did not want to, mabey it did not go with the flow, and mabey he really did think of it later. i dont think this lessens the story.
and terl did not have any connection with humans. he KNEW about the brigantes from the stories passed down from other sec chiefs, but this does not mean he has to use only them, when he had some animals right at home.
Ender is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Battlefield Earth (2000)