Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

View Poll Results: What's your favorite war movie?
Pearl Harbor 1 5.26%
Enemy at the Gates 1 5.26%
Windtalkers 0 0%
Saving Private Ryan 3 15.79%
We Were Soldiers 0 0%
Black Hawk Down 2 10.53%
Other 9 47.37%
I don't like war movies 1 5.26%
I like all war movies 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 21, 2002, 05:00 PM   #1
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002
What's your favorite war movie?

What's your favorite war movie?

ps. My favorite war movie is Black Hawk Down.

Last edited by Lt_Johnny_Rico : Aug 22, 2002 at 03:40 PM.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 05:08 PM   #2
Predalien
Cluster Admiral
203 flights since Jul 2002
Location: Leeds, England, The Earth (also lived in other places such as Bristol and Exeter)
Re: What's your favorite war movie?

What about Apocolypse Now, or Platoon, or Full Metal Jacket?

Anyway, I voted for Saving Private Ryan, it's just so interesting...plus, it has Vin Diesel in it.
Predalien is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 05:21 PM   #3
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

WAR MOVIES!!!!!!!!

Love them all!!! I'm somewhat of an expert, and have a HUGE collection!!

My favs are Saving Private Ryan, Ran, the Beast, Tora Tora Tora, and Blackhawk Down (Read the book...)
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:07 PM   #4
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002

yeah, unfortuantly, if your favorite war movie is listed on that poll... i feel sooooooo sorry for you...
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 03:03 AM   #5
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

Five Graves From Cairo but I also like Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

Five Graves From Cairo is Billy Wilder's classic from 40's. Erich von Stroheim is just so great as Rommel (who else could play him so well?) and the story is stunning & witty.

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence... Well, there's Bowie, good music and strange & beautiful shots.
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 03:11 AM   #6
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002

Saving private Ryan was exellent. I still haven't seen Apocalypse Now nor Full Metal Jacket so I voted for OTHER. Blackhawk down was also exellent but there was actually so much action and shooting "I got tired of adrenalin pumping through my veins"... just tooo damn much going on. Still an exellent movie.

BTW has any of you seen the war series by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks called "Band of Brothers"? It's a really really good WW2 series.
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 06:24 AM   #7
Iwata
Autarch

Yeah, it is! It's feels like a "Sequel" to Saving Private Ryan. Excellent production values there. Too bad it's so short... (Only 10 episodes, 1st episode lasts 2 hours, the rest last one hour.)

And guess what? In the end of the series, they say that David Kenyon Webster went to study sharks, and wrote a book about them.
So, I love sharks, and that same night, I'd finished watching the last episode, I picked up book to read. "Myth and Maneater: The Story of the Shark". Sounds good. Let's go.
I start reading, and when I'm putting the book down to go to sleep, I notice the author: "David K. Webster"!

Woohoooooo!!! I like this kind of coincidence!!!
Old Aug 22, 2002, 07:28 AM   #8
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Band of Brothers is by far the best war movie I have ever seen. You could break it into five two hour war films and they would all be excellent. I thought it was much better than Saving Private Ryan because it was based on actual events, true stories. Watching Saving Private Ryan I was in awe of what those men went through yet it always took away something when you remember that none of the characters were real and the story wasn't real, it was fiction. I think you could take episodes 6-8, where the Battle of the Bulge begins through its conclusion and have one of the greatest war films ever made. That episode where they were in those fox holes, trees exploding all around them, was amazing. I watched it in stereo surround sound and about had to leave the room. BTW - the entire series and some extras are due out on DVD in October or November.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 08:02 AM   #9
ApocalypseKurtz
Starfighter
66 flights since Aug 2002

Apocalypse Now is probably my favorite film ever, out of all genres

As for the ones you listed on the poll, Saving Private Ryan was guite good. Black Hawk Down was decent, and Enemy at the Gates was fun too.
ApocalypseKurtz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:37 AM   #10
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001

My favorite war movies include:

Tora, Tora, Tora
The Longest Day
Gettysburg
Glory
The Great Escape
The Blue Max
Sink the Bismark
The Battle of Britian
Patton
All Quiet on the Westren Front
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 02:30 PM   #11
Iwata
Autarch

How could I forget "Patton", Battle of Britain" and "All Quiet on the Western Front"...?

Damn, there are just too many to mention... aside from those already listed, other good ones were "Hearts of Steel", "Kelly's Heroes", "Heartbreak Ridge", "Rules of Engagement", "Courage under Fire"... just too many...

And yes, the Ardennes episodes of "Band of Brothers" were probably the best of the series.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 03:35 PM   #12
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar
BTW has any of you seen the war series by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks called "Band of Brothers"? It's a really really good WW2 series.

I haven't seen it, but I read the book.

Last edited by Lt_Johnny_Rico : Sep 24, 2002 at 04:43 PM.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 07:42 PM   #13
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

If we're talking old movies, then hands down:
Bridge On The River Kwai
and
Lawrence of Arabia

David Lean was one heck of a director, and so was Billy Wilder - Stalag 17.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 08:26 PM   #14
thegreenknight
Sector Marshall
986 flights since Jan 2002

personally, i like any war movie, but my all time favorite has to be either COMMANDO or RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART TWO...they both fought in one man wars and both came out on top. as far as war war movies go, black hawk down even though it wasn't a war, unless you say the united states was at civil war with the somlian war lords.
thegreenknight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:28 PM   #15
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001
Exciting, but Unrealistic!

Movies like "RAMBO : FIRST BLOOD" and "COMMANDO" are good adventure films but they are so unrealistic as war films. No battle I know of was ever won by a one man army.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]