Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Judge Dredd (1995)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Judge Dredd (1995)

In the future, one man is the law. | guide

Old Nov 3, 2002, 08:56 PM   #1
BugStomper
Apprentice
1 flights since Nov 2002
New dredd movies...

... I read a press release a while back that said they were making 3 new dredd movies, under the direct supervision of 2000AD. I'll try to find the link, but hopefully these will be able to repair the damage done by poopmaster stallone's ego trip through megacity 1...

BugStomper
BugStomper is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 03:43 PM   #2
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002
Re: New dredd movies...

Nothing can save the dredd films now that stallones ego has left it's big muddy boots in the way, not one thing pity it's just like the phantom menace, it ruined star wars and as such all the prequals are now treated with distrust
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 02:59 AM   #3
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Bob
Nothing can save the dredd films now that stallones ego has left it's big muddy boots in the way, not one thing pity it's just like the phantom menace, it ruined star wars and as such all the prequals are now treated with distrust
If Clone Attack din' clown around
I'm sure that we would have found
TPM forgotten
but it came to nuthin'
and now Star Wars is sewer-bound
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2003, 04:32 PM   #4
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

There is hope. As long as the people responsible for the first Dredd movie are not involved in any further Dredd movies, it'll be fine.

I quite liked Judge Dredd ...
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2003, 04:43 PM   #5
xXx
Sector Marshall
760 flights since Mar 2002

I don't Dredd is a comic that can be translated to the screen well. The uniform was as close as you're gonna get to the comic version and it just looks ridiculous on screen. The only way to make it work, is to change a lot of things, just give Judges long black leather trench coats (like in "Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man) and a simple black helmet and visor. Of course then you'll get the comic purists whining about how it's not the Dredd they know. It's a no-win situation really, so they shouldn't even bother. I expect the same situation when the costume for the new "Superman" movie is unveiled.
xXx is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 02:02 PM   #6
amber0728
n/a flights since
underrated

This film had a lot of cool elements, it was a little too colorful at times but I think this was a deliberate (albeit it overy subtle) attempt to give the film a comic book feel - characters were not borderline good or bad - either very good / or very bad / media was very dramatic, even at home having dinner - the con man was always looking out for the next hit, the gang war was so hoky you had to laugh / etc ...

New films could be made to show (a) the development of the judge society and (b) Judge Dredd's adventures in the Wasteland. He's in a costume and actors can be switched (see the musical chair theory behind Batman).
Old Sep 8, 2003, 08:03 AM   #7
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

Indeed. Its noce to see the same players from movie to movie. But sometimes thats not possible. The Batman series showed that you could pull it off to a certain degree. But I think it also undermined the movies a little and not helped by sometimes goofball scripting.

So who would be good to cast as the new Dredd?

Time for a new thread :P

Omega2064
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 07:58 AM   #8
baz909
Pilot
19 flights since Sep 2005

just cast a bunch of unknown actors that wud solve a bunch of the problems this film had, costumes were pretty good, thank god they werent wearing blue spandex, but they destroyed it as soon as sly took off his helmet. maybe if david fincher style of director or ridley scott/ james cameron could pump enough of there influence into a franchise that could work
baz909 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 04:55 PM   #9
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

Quote:
Originally posted by baz909
just cast a bunch of unknown actors that wud solve a bunch of the problems this film had, costumes were pretty good, thank god they werent wearing blue spandex, but they destroyed it as soon as sly took off his helmet. maybe if david fincher style of director or ridley scott/ james cameron could pump enough of there influence into a franchise that could work

Id go along with what you say there, trouble is though its been over 10 years since the first Dredd movie and that flopped. Im not sure a sequel would be any more successful even more so with unknown actors.

That's the catch 22 with films like these: you hire a big star actor but he then dictates everything to sooth his ego and the film dumbs down and loses focus. Whereas you get some unknown actors in who really want to do their best to make the transistion from page to film as cool as possible, but it fails at the box office because no one knows who these people are.

Shame!

Oh and it doesn't look as if any sequels are in the pipeline as was first mooted on this thread 3 or 4 years ago. So perhaps the studios have given it a wide berth
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 01:41 PM   #10
baz909
Pilot
19 flights since Sep 2005

i agree with you there Sonny, maybe if a studio showed interest in the rest of the 2000AD story lines we might get another film,
Personally I'd love to see the ABC Warriors turned into a film or even an Anime.... something on the lines of Patlabor / Ghost in the shell or even the new Appleseed movie ... they had some great animation and mechanical effects ...
baz909 is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Judge Dredd (1995)