Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001
Michael Scott IS 'The Office'!!!

In all seriousness, if Carrel says the show can continue around the other characters, which he did, he's lying. They should shut down Sabre at the end of this season and not subject these actor's to an embarrassing extra season without it's life source. Why even try to? There's really nowhere else the storyline can go, despite the fact that I personally still think the show has consistently been funny all these years (some don't think so), so just go out with a little dignity. No reason for us to bring up ten years from now, "Haha, remember when 'The Office' did that awful last season without Michael and they pulled the plug after six episodes?"
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:35 PM   #2
1,141 flights since Feb 2002
Re: Michael Scott IS 'The Office'!!!

I get what you're saying, but I have to completely disagree with you. Categorically. In every way.

I should start by saying that I'm an atypical fan of the Office. I love the show and I think it's funny; but the show is at it's strongest when it avoids Michael and makes him a background character. Here's why: He's the reverse straight man. On Seinfeld, everyone acted strangely to Jerry's--and the audience's--bemusement. On The Office Michael acts bizarrely to everyone else's--and the audience's--bemusement. I wouldn't say this concept couldn't work, it just doesn't work on The Office with Michael.

Times when it works: when Michael is racist or sexist, when he isn't the subject of the episode's main story, when he isn't involved in some sort of romance... basically whenever he's not on screen, it's working. I see his character being much better if it were the size of Creed's perhaps. Once in a while we see the crazy boss character being an ass.
Above all, it works when Michael is interacting with Dwight. This relationship is truly hilarious. But... this tends to do more with Dwight, I believe, than with Michael.

When it doesn't work: When Michael is behaving in an infantile manner, or if any one of his characteristics is made to be too prominent in a show's story. For instance: when he burns his foot on the Foreman grill and insists on being babied. Funny for a moment, not for a whole show. I'm going to stop myself there and just say this, for fear of going on all day: the show is at it's best when it keeps Michael at a second tier plot device, at most. The concepts are funny when they are kept at a minimum... any one of his three or so emotional states are great for a moment, but to maintain it for too long SERIOUSLY breaks the show's universe, takes my head out of sustaining the show as a reality in which these characters really exist. Like in a movie when a character "breaks the fourth wall," and talks into the camera. (obviously that's permitted in a mockumentary.) Some of Michaels show-long sustained states: acting like a child, acting like an expert of some sort, acting like a comedian, being upset at not receiving some sort of attention or feeling slighted in some way, worried about some sort of upcoming responsibility. Seriously... I'm not sure Michael has any other gears. He is almost always one of those things, and even for just 20 minutes it can be a lot.

The Office could easily be a better show without Steve Carrel. No doubt about it. I've said for years they should have just called it "The Dwight Show," and instantly made it much better by giving Dwight all of Michael's screen time. Imagine how much funnier that would be.

floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 07:27 AM   #3
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Will have to respectfully disagree Floyd – I think Michael Scott is the heart of the series and without him there simply is no Office. Every character, from Stanley to Creed to Darryl in the warehouse are funny because of the way they react to Michael. Seriously, how can Darryl be funny without Michael? Or Stanley? Or Ryan the temp or Oscar the gay accountant? Every one of these characters are built around them having to react to Michael Scott. I couldn’t help but think of the episode where Michael thought it would be a good idea to have a celebrity roast and have the rest of the office roast him. That’s what makes these character and this series. I see Michael as the Magic Johnson of the office – on his own, yeah, funny but when surrounded by a solid team he not only becomes a better and funnier character he makes the guys on his team better characters by virtue. When is gone, I think the series is done and I agree with Jacker – it would be a crying shame if they tried to continue without him. But considering the plight of NBC, floundering dead last, I suspect they’ll hang on as long as they can. They could possible replace Carell. Brit coms do it all the time and are successful, swapping and changing main characters.

I would, however, agree that if any character could possibly stand on his own it would be Dwight and by virtue of that Jim, whose funniest moments in the series have always been his interaction with Dwight. But that’s it and I hardly see where you could build a series around this relationship, especially considering how it’s evolved and grown decidedly less funny over the past three seasons.

That said – I couldn’t help but feel the series may have jumped the shark when Dunder Mifflin sold out. I think the entire Kathy Bates character is a strain on what has always been a series about subtle, quirky humor. The dynamic between Scranton and “Corporate” has always been a key to the series. So maybe it is time to go. My only problem, Carell quits in the off season. The man should at least give the writers an opportunity to either end the series properly or write his character out over the season. Instead, I guess it will just show up on air next fall with no Michael and some five minute explanation as to what happened.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:25 AM   #4
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

Oh no, I do believe he will be on it next season as his last season. So they will have a chance to send Michael off into the sun. I'm sure they will give him a happy send off, with a woman he impregnated and a better job. Not like when Ricky Gervais continued on being a loser in the Brit one, stopping by the office daily with his new dog. In fact, it wouldn't be too bad if they ended it similarly to the UK Office. Just flash forward three years later and see how the airing of their documentary went (they could do a million things in just revealing who exactly it was the whole time filming them). It would be horrendous if they try and bring in a new boss as the "new Michael" though. No, just call Jack Kevorkian and die in a satisfying way for everyone.

Some Michael quotes I just felt like copying and pasting here (hard to imagine the show without these):
  • # When I said that I was king of forwards, you got to understand that I don't come up with this stuff. I just forward it along. You wouldn't arrest a guy who was just passing drugs from one guy to another.
    # I love inside jokes. I'd love to be a part of one someday.
    # I'm an early bird and a night owl. So I'm wise and I have worms.
    # You may look around and see two groups here; white collar, blue collar. But I don't see it that way, and you know why not? Because I am collar-blind.
    # I don't understand. We have a day honoring Martin Luther King, but he didn't even work here.
    # Nobody likes beets, Dwight! Why don't you grow something that everybody does like? You should grow candy.
    # It's not like booze ever killed anyone.
    # I am a victim of a hate crime. Stanley knows what I'm talking about.
    # You can love a boss like you love a father.
    # New York, New York. The city so nice, they named it twice. Manhattan is the other name.
    # Here it is. Heart of New York City. Times Square. Named for the... good times you have when you're in it.
    # Scranton is great, but New York is like Scranton on acid. No, on speed. Nah. On steroids.
    # Pam, I'm public speaking, so please stop public interrupting me.
    # I'm like Superman and the people who work here are like the citizens of Gotham City.
    # Oh, fun fact. I share my birthday with Eva Longoria. So I have a perfect icebreaker if I ever meet Teri Hatcher.
    # Well apparently in the medicine community, negative means 'good.' Which makes absolutely no sense. In the real world community that would be chaos.
    # Someone complained that the men's room is "whites only". Stanley, you know that's not true.
    # Alright, Kevin... you are accused of making sexually suggestive remarks to Angela, that made her feel uncomfortable. Solution: Angela, you are to make sexually suggestive remarks to Kevin that make him feel uncomfortable.
    # I call everybody faggy. Why would anyone find that offensive?
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

Personally I'm amazed the show is still going. Two seasons of the UK one was enough for me to get sick of Ricky Gervais, not that I'm lumping Gervais and Carrell in the same category, I just think it's a show that is extremely funny for a small perios of time, then it just becomes endlessly recycled. Anyway, my two cents.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

I have never been part of an office or an office mentality of employees vs a manager. Never found the show entertaining.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Hmmm, I never liked the original...maybe I would like the American version more...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:25 PM   #8
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

I have to say, IMHO, the American version surpassed the original in just about every way. It used the good stuff from the original well, and then added to it, and grew into it's own show. Consistently great, and the characters were just far more watchable and well rounded than those in the Gervais one. Phyllis was awesome.

But I agree it's time for it to go to bed if Carrell is going. So long, The Office - We had some really great times.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 12:53 PM   #9
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Well, I've watched Michael Scott's farewell. Have to admit that Will Farrell made the absence a bit easier to swallow but I'm still unconvinced the show can stand on its own without Steve Carrell. You can already see the writers starting to bring secondary characters to the front, giving them more lines and more screen time - Kelly, Creed (it's just weird seeing Creed so much), Darryl, and Oscar. They've completely changed Angela's character, and not in a good way. For my money, Kelly is the funniest character this season (her "office bitch" bit was classic) but I've heard shes opting out of the show after this season.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]