Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:32 PM   #16
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Re: Vampiric Flops and Flights: Underworld, Queen of the Damned

Quote:
Originally posted by jill_valentine
o do for it what Ginger Snaps did for werewolfers

Ginger Snaps was a terrible movie! What exactly did it do for werewolves other than create that horrid deformed looking misshapen body of a human-wolf. It sucked that they put that same ugly creature in Underworld. Why? Why cant lycan be as beautiful as Vamps?????

Quote:
Originally posted by dinochick
Totaly ruied the book for anyone who has no yet read it, probably even encouraging people not to read it at all.

made me not want to read anne rice. . .
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:45 PM   #17
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

For the last bloody time, the wolf was crap due to budget constraints, they've changed it to a slender, hairier, sort of Dog Soldiers style wolf for the sequals. The Underworld wolf was completely different and far cooler. It was CGI!

But, anyway, the Wolf and the Vampire are very different. The vamp is a monster that looks like a person, the wolf is vice versa. The werewolf is supposed to be sort of monstrous. I think it depends what you want from a film. If you want a Wolf Smash! type movie, then I guess you probably like dog Soldiers. I quite like the human drama of a) Knowing you're becoming a monster whether you like it or not. and b) Other people knowing it too. The FX are secondary.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:02 PM   #18
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
The Underworld wolf was completely different and far cooler. It was CGI!

Ok--granted--the Underworld vamps got around far better than Ginger ever did. . .

And somebody break down what you guys mean by "CGI" in movies. .

Quote:
But, anyway, the Wolf and the Vampire are very different. The vamp is a monster that looks like a person, the wolf is vice versa. The werewolf is supposed to be sort of monstrous.

I get this---but even in its "monstrosity" the human shapeshifter lycans are supposes to be appealing on some subliminal level. . . .kinda like how becks tries to be.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:13 PM   #19
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

He...

Yeah, they are supposed to have a kind of...animal magnetism... Arf! But ...Ginger does. I have yet to see anybody (Male or Female...) who's jaw doesn't drop when Ginger struts through the school hallway.

CGI means Computer Generated Imagery. The Gingerwulf was a puppet because they couldn't afford CGI, and the indoor shots made it easier to hide puppeteers. Puppetry is sort of realler because it has more weight to its movements and shadows, but CGI has the upper hand when it comes to fast movement or subtle expressions. But you can spot the difference fairly easily.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:26 PM   #20
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Yeah, they are supposed to have a kind of...animal magnetism... Arf! But ...Ginger does. I have yet to see anybody (Male or Female...) who's jaw doesn't drop when Ginger struts through the school hallway.

Yeah---the human her
Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:27 PM   #21
becks-orion
Cluster Admiral
1,175 flights since Oct 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by mack
Ginger Snaps was a terrible movie! What exactly did it do for werewolves other than create that horrid deformed looking misshapen body of a human-wolf. It sucked that they put that same ugly creature in Underworld. Why? Why cant lycan be as beautiful as Vamps?????
You deserve to be beaten for that.

Ginger Snaps isn't all about 'lycan'. It's about transformation.

The film is brilliant and yes, jill, when Ginger struts her stuff it makes people pant.

Woof.

I've not seen Underworld or QOTD but I have read a lot of Anne Rice and I've heard QOTD is nothing like the book.
becks-orion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:37 PM   #22
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Quote:
I get this---but even in its "monstrosity" the human shapeshifter lycans are supposes to be appealing on some subliminal level. . . .kinda like how becks tries to be.

Ah...Having read this post more closely, I'm glad there's finally a bigger deviant than me on this site. Step forward Lycanthrophiles...
Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:42 PM   #23
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Best werewolf in the movies is still and will ever be the one in American Werewolf in London.

Very fierce, very brutal, very primal. No trace of humanity, just a killing machine.

Just look at this ****er. It's all mass. Looks like it wants to rip you to pieces. And it does. The scene in the subway gets to me every time.

The werewolves of "The Howling" are in 2nd place. A bit more human, but still fierce as hell. The nice twist is, they LOVE being werewolves, and can shift at will.

And finally, those in Dog Soldiers, more lean, a bit more human than wolf in overall appearance, but they look like werewolf ninjas, very agile, and I like the fact they don't become FULL creatures, they still reason like a human would.

Now lets compare these brutal creatures with the three worst werewolves in motion picture history:

Jack Nicolson's "Wolf", which is more "normal guy with pointed teeth and unshaven under acid trip".

M. J. Fox's "Teenwolf". Bad hair day, I guess... just stupid.

"American Werewolf In Paris" wereapes. They're not wereapes. They're werewolves. Or try to, anyway. The CGI treatment just makes the Nș1 werewolf of all times look bloody ridicullous. Worst werewolves ever. Don't try it again...

Soecial mentions to Ginger Snaps for the stupid revamp of the werewolf change, and to Harry Potter's "friendly werewolf" Lupin, who's the black sheep of the family and should be fed to all his "cousins" I've displayed here.

Did I forget to mention I'm Sciflicks current werewolf expert/fan?..

Last edited by Iwata : Mar 24, 2004 at 02:50 PM.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:47 PM   #24
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Agreed on the AWIL as opposed to AWIP. That thing is bloody ridiculous, whereas the original was very cool. the only thing that always look dodgy on werewolves are the hips. It just always looks wrong. And am I alone in wanting to see some wolves with tails?
Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:57 PM   #25
becks-orion
Cluster Admiral
1,175 flights since Oct 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by mack

I didn't notice that...

Yeah you're right jill, much BIGGER deviants. We're quite safe.

swick twists...
becks-orion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:00 PM   #26
mack
misanthrope

Arent they SUPPOSED to have tails?? They're animals, geez.
But I have one sore point with all the werewolf movies.

Ok--VAmps are monsters, but we beautify them, get into their heads, understand their impulses, etc.

Werewolves are human animals, right? Nobody really explores their psyche like Underworld (or do they--point me to a good movie) or even Ginger Snaps---which I thought did a better job on that point than most, and I didnt even like the movie!

I cannot STAND how all weres are made to be these evil, mindless creatures all the time: When will we get a good movie that explores the pack, its heirarchy, etc.

And real animals are not mindless killing machines---so why should human animals be? Cant they at least have a good reason.

other than that we are simply watching Dr Jeykll and Mr. Hyde with a new twist.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:03 PM   #27
Iwata
Autarch

"The Howling" shows, to some extent, a functional werewolf society. They're not mindles animals, they maintain their logic and thoughts. As do those in Dog Soldiers.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:05 PM   #28
mack
misanthrope

I still say the scriptwriters need to be required to read Laurell K . Hamilton. . . .
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:29 PM   #29
Autechre
Sector Marshall
734 flights since Jan 2002

"The Company of Wovles" - Is the best werewolf film after AWIL; a good sick weird one with teenage Freudian psycho-sex overtones. what?
Autechre is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:56 PM   #30
Iwata
Autarch

Quote:
Originally posted by Autechre
"The Company of Wovles" - Is the best werewolf film after AWIL; a good sick weird one with teenage Freudian psycho-sex overtones. what?

That's true, I forgot about that one. Not as good as the top-3 I mentioned, but definitelly one of the best.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy