Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Jul 31, 2006, 01:18 PM   #1
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Batman Returns

Yay, this is the first post in this new forum!

In my opinion, this is the greatest comic book film ever made. Mostly because it's more of a Tim Burton film than a proper comic book adaptation.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Plutzker
Starfighter
56 flights since Oct 2005
Re: Batman Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
In my opinion, this is the greatest comic book film ever made. Mostly because it's more of a Tim Burton film than a proper comic book adaptation.

I agree. It's one of my favourite Batman movies.
Plutzker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 03:43 PM   #3
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I thought it was ridiculously over dramatic and downright dull, not to mention way too long and virtually plot-less. Keaton was clearly phoning it in and DeVito was cast more because his bodily stature fit the part than for any real acting talent. Sure, it was better than the Clooney outing but not by much. Never been a big fan of the Batman series, felt like the original films were more about Gotham city and it's creepy, over the top inhabitants than about Batman. Was glad to see the latest film focus on the charcter and not the setting.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 05:30 PM   #4
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

I think it's great if you don't watch it as a Batman film. For a movie that featured characters someone else wrote, it's probably the most Burtonesuqe of all the Tim Burton movies.

I'm not sure why I find this film so entertaining, but I think it's the utter lunacy of it all. I remember when I was channel-hopping and found this on TV. I was up to the part where the penguins had rocket launchers on their backs. That's when I thought to myself, "Wow, I can't believe I haven't realised how insane this film is." I really don't think there is a superhero movie out there that is just so twisted, perverse and bizarre.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 08:50 PM   #5
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

See, I think Batman himself is a wee bit one note. His parents were killed, so he acts like a kid with a superhero complex... I think making a "grown up" version of Batman could prove a mistake because the basic premise is so rooted in the guy's childhood issues. His setting is extraordinary and it's unique, and in that respect I think it's the series' strongest asset.

The city's a warped, creepy place all by itself, so it's probably the only place he can look normal by comparison. Stick him and Catwoman into, say, Toronto and it just wouldn't quite work the same.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002

This is my favourite batman movie so far...
And as already mentioned I really liked how the atmosphere was projected through the city and it's dwellers. Not long ago I watched Batman Returns a bit and I have no idea how I missed that Danny Devito was the penguin...
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:36 AM   #7
Wachesaw
Wing Commander
428 flights since Mar 2003

What confuses me is how the penguin's parents were able to concieve. It must have been, like, some crazily random accident, as there's no way those people would ever have the indecency to 'geddidon'.
Wachesaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:22 PM   #8
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

And on that note, I should add that my affection for penguins is altogether platonic.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy