Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:31 PM   #1
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
Being Human.

On BBC3.

A vampire, a werewolf and a ghost share a flat.

Far better than it sounds. The Vampire's a bit knowingly Angel-tastic, but the Werewolf is a genuinely interesting take on the idea. George is painfully shy and hates what he is; but he still irons his shirts and fills out his tax returns and whatever.

It's good. I like it a lot, the characters are well written and warm. It's at it's best when it's not trying to be too quirky or American or Twilighty. The vampire conspiracy bit is probably the most potentially dull element, although some of the vampire characters are good.

So yeah, it's a series that I hope will last.

The trailer sums it up perfectly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_sRd2spBo0

Last edited by jill_valentine : Jan 27, 2009 at 04:16 PM.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003
Re: Being Human.

And you're only telling me about this now? When is it on?
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

Sounds.....wierd. An interesting idea...but still wierd.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 04:14 PM   #4
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I caught a repeat of the second episode, which was considerably better than the pilot because they didn't need to do quite as much exposition.

Which isn't to say the first one was bad, but it's far more confidently British and owes a lot less to other shows. The vampire and ghost have also been very well recast - the ghost is now Lenora Crichlow from the fantastic Sugar Rush, and the vampire is now... well, he's a lot less emo.

The Pilot and Ep1 is on BBC iPlayer for Britfolk, although I can't see it.

Pilot:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...man_Episode_1/

Series:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hc58j/upcoming

I think the first episode of the series should be repeated again on Friday. Highly recommend catching it one way or the other.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Seraph

Oooh I just watched ep1 and was trying to place Ghost Girl now I get a pilot to watch too? Cool.

Definately enjoyable, love Wolf Boy (who is he? bugging me). Utterly british in humour.

Favourite bits:

1) Wolf boy running through woods, to get away from people before his "change", except hello UK woods not wilderness and he runs into.....a campfire full of people.....a man walking a dog.....then a couple making out aaaaaaaand a creepy stalker guy - before deciding home is probably better.

2) Pigeon death by shoe - did anyone else think he was going to say pigeon before he did?

Next epsidoe - Sundays 9pm BBC3

edit: Jill - no pilot, both links give you episode 1.

Last edited by Seraph : Jan 27, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 07:38 PM   #6
Amboy Road
Starfighter
149 flights since Nov 2004

Sounds groovy.

Any chance of it coming on here in the States?
Amboy Road is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:20 AM   #7
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

oh wow jill, now THAT looks good. im liking the "unapologetically british" bit about it. how do you always end up finding the good shows? i wonder if i can see this online. grrrr!
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:51 AM   #8
mack
misanthrope

ok watched the first episode and I have to say that this one is far more inspired than True Blood (but we knew that anything would be).

i do have one question though: why is it believable that everyone's (in this case Laura) initial moral crisis after vampire "birth" would lead them to want to kill in a murderous rampage everyone they loved in life? either the type of girls who randomly get "turned" are a sick depraved little lot, or we are to believe the crisis of turning on the female mind drives one to insane murder-mongering, and I dont mean for the sake of bloodlust only.

or perhaps (and this thought just occurred to me) they always portray the female vampire (and potential love interest -whom we would imagine to be on the boy vampire's level) as freakishly and demonicly insane so as to set the stage to juxtapose a human female (who is then portrayed as sensitive, caring, and no doubt kind to the elderly) as the impossible and unattainable love interest.

oh, impossible love! how trite. just once, I'd like to see something original, like say....a vampire boy who likes, I dont know...a vampire girl? I'll even do you one better: I understand the whole male predator/female prey appeal, but its pretty basic and follows your stereotypical girlish "romantic thriller" plot line. When are they going to grow a pair and write a female vamp lead? They halfway went there with Krista in Blade: The Series, and this alone makes me rethink my earlier negative reviews of that one.

Last edited by mack : Jan 31, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 09:01 PM   #9
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I dunno, I think there's hints they're going to flesh out Vampire Girl a bit more as time goes on. Also, Annie's shaping up to be considerably more interesting than I thought.

I'm watching an episode now, and oh my God, I love George.

Poor, dry-run George.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:02 AM   #10
mack
misanthrope

Laura gets on my nerves! So far, anyway. Though I do see that they are setting her up for more depth. I guess I just hate the whole helpless-evil-or-whiny pendulum she's on. If I was Mitchell, I'd never have shagged her because she's so ... needy and clingy and whiny. Plus, I dont think she's anywhere NEAR the dime piece they are playing her to be. Cmon. I know Britain has hotter chicks. Is she hot? Tell me. Finally, at what point is she going to make a conscious reasoned decision on her own??? without crying?

re: Annie. I was wondering where they were going with her character, because for awhile there, it seemed like she was going to just be the incredibly attractive window dressing for the residence. Pretty and with a nice personality, but ultimately boring. Frankly, I thought they were just going to leave her there to play mother hen to the 2 boys, and if you think about it, it works.

Why? Its so non-sexual! If Annie was corporeal, it would be an incredibly tense situation, because lets be honest - the boys are scary guys. Firstly, they could truly hurt a normal, human woman - they'd rip her to shreds or at least be constantly thinking about it. Secondly, lust and getting some (or not) are the order of the day in this type of show, and her ghost status nicely sets her as odd woman out (and thankfully the boys arent gay), the "hands off" girl. If not, it would be ridiculous drama, because they already allude that both the boys, and particularly Mitchell, are all protective of her anyway.

The mother hen aspect works. Plus, I thought the Owen/Annie angle in Ep3 was a surprising twist. One things for sure, at least the Annie character has a purpose beyond making tea.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:12 PM   #11
Seraph

Just caught up on the past 2 episodes. Have to say been waiting for the "Oooh he pushed her!" since the first episode. I did like how they handled 80s boy passing over, especially in light of Annie's conversation with Mitchell about death in the pilot she told George she saw a nice warm fuzzy light, but to Mitchell she says "You saw the men with sticks & rope at the end of the corridor too didn't you?" - which btw gave me the utter creeps.

I even like the "science" behind their conditions, especially the werewolf stuff. Organs shrinking, heart attacks etc. Not a huge fan of the vampire heroin junkie metaphor, but plenty of comedy to keep me entertained.

Definatly calling Mitchell/Annie.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:56 AM   #12
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

Hmmm, this sounds really interesting. A werewolf ironing his shirts? LOL

How many episodes it will have on this first season - 6, 8, 22? I guess it won't be aired here, but thankfully so many series have been/will be released on DVD.
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 05:10 PM   #13
Seraph

British series are traidtionally short, wouldn't expect 22, probably around half that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...&tag=jotfo-21&
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:59 PM   #14
mack
misanthrope

oh just watch it online!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:14 PM   #15
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Last episode was pretty damn great. Bit more development for Mitchell, which was sorely needed, but I'm still worried about the vampire storyline.

It looks like they got the idea from Ultraviolet, and whatever they have planned can't possibly be as gritty and cool as Ultraviolet was. Not without losing the show's own identity, or clashing with the warm cosy sitting room moments. And on top of all that, more vampires would mean less George, and I ain't down with that.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum