Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Akira (1988)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Akira (1988)

Neo-Tokyo is about to E.X.P.L.O.D.E. | guide

Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:16 PM   #16
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
Re: Ok I don't get it...

Redneck anecdotes trump any conversation.

Mm, I thought the start was quite seriously out of synch with the rest of the film. I can watch that first half an hour over and over, but after that my interest starts to wane...
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:18 PM   #17
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

To be fair, I've not seen it n a while now, but it's coming up to re-watch time now, so I'll let you know what I think of it when I've seen it again.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:28 AM   #18
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

And well animated heads getting their well animated skulls caved in by well animated crowbars.

I do not understand the giant blob whatsoever. The first time i saw the movie i thought it looked like that because i hadn't slept in approaching 34 hours or so. Then i watched it again...and it was still strange. It was one of the most disgusting things i've ever seen.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:45 AM   #19
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

I have to admit the last 20 minutes or so of the movie had me torn between being bored & confused. Yet the first 90minutes are totally absorbing and well paced.

Loved that cool lookin' red bike too
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:48 AM   #20
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies

I was never bored with the movie, only confused....and a little creeped out. Tetsuo(or how ever you spell blob boyes name) was a spoiled brat.

"Nobody like sme! Everyones pikin on me! Stop helping me!"

What apussy.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 07:10 AM   #21
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthemighty
I do not understand the giant blob whatsoever. The first time i saw the movie i thought it looked like that because i hadn't slept in approaching 34 hours or so. Then i watched it again...and it was still strange. It was one of the most disgusting things i've ever seen.

Think of it as a symbolic way of showing that his physical body can't hold the power that he's emiting. He used his powers to their ends and his body was not able to contain it without mutation. Basically, it is like cramming something too big into a small bag. Too much power led to the bag tearing and the insides exposing themselves as well as the bag stretching.

Also, the dubbing of this film is a mess, which can lead to more confusion. In the dub, the scientist says "birth of the universe," whereas in the sub, he says, "birth of a universe." It makes very little sense with the first but much more sense with the second. As Ivan said, the film is about the progression of the human mind and body. The film is often compared to 2001 and not just because the ending is ambigious, but also because Tetsuo, like Dave, no longer needs his physical body. At the very end of the movie we hear, "I am... Tetsuo" followed by the galaxies and stars. This implies that Tetsuo retained his "consciousness" but became, like Akira, something more - he is no longer human, but pure energy. I think.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:36 PM   #22
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies

Maybe. Or something like that. Still a good damned movie. Love it.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:36 PM   #23
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Some also see it as a metaphor for puberty, but I'm not sure about that...
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:22 PM   #24
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Hoo boy, did I get off lightly.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:11 AM   #25
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies

Puberty?...........Yes, when i hit puberty, nothing was as close as how i felt as being a giant blob mutant that attempted to destroy mankind and often hallucinated my intestines falling out.....and giant teddy bears and lakes of milk......or something like that.....im gonna quit now.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 05:45 PM   #26
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
I've watched it, even have it, but I still don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm a visual person and the animation isn't...great
I actually like the visual aspects of it quite a bit. That and the soundtrack. What Akira is really great on IMHO is atmosphere.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:50 AM   #27
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

The visuals are brilliant I think, it was the first manga feature I ever watched and pulled me in straight away. I'm surprised Hollyweird hasn't made an adaptation yet giving it a nice happy ending, like... I dunno.... Tom Cruise pops up at the end saving the day and killing the evil blob monster that is Tetsuo by putting on his Oprah loving sofa stomping shoes and bouncing up and down on him till he explodes whilst all the time shaking a rain stick....

..... it could happen

And yeah, the bikes were seriously cool, must say I think I actually preferred Yamagata's though, the blue one with the rising sun motif on the front wheel cover, nice.

Does anyone else remember the cartoon biker mice from mars? The lead guy/mouse/whatever's bike was blatantly Kaneda's bike... what a rip-off

Last edited by SF_not_Sci-Fi : Sep 3, 2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Two consecutive posts merged
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:05 PM   #28
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
Think of it as a symbolic way of showing that his physical body can't hold the power that he's emiting. He used his powers to their ends and his body was not able to contain it without mutation. Basically, it is like cramming something too big into a small bag. Too much power led to the bag tearing and the insides exposing themselves as well as the bag stretching.
The entire thing was also a metaphor for puberty.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 07:29 PM   #29
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies

Yeah, i remember biker mice from mars, what a stupid show.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 08:05 AM   #30
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_not_Sci-Fi
The entire thing was also a metaphor for puberty.

I know that now.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Akira (1988)