Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

The human adventure is just beginning. | TMP guide

Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:04 PM   #16
King
Wing Commander
205 flights since Aug 2003
Re: Star Trek: Enterprise Cancelled

I'm also a fan of DS9, but alot of other people thought it was boring.
King is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:10 PM   #17
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

And what new 'ground' did generations and first contact 'break?'
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:19 PM   #18
King
Wing Commander

1. Showing what happened to Kirk, and having the two great captains work together.

2. Opening the way for "Enterprise", which unfortunately you dislike. :P

3. Bringing aspects of other Star Trek eras together.

4. A knockdown dragout fight between the Federation and the Borg.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 07:34 AM   #19
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

Personally I think they've killed off star trek by flooding the tv with shows in the 90's TNG, DS9, Voyager, everytime you turned on sky1 there was three hours of fvcking star trek.....
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 09:31 AM   #20
King
Wing Commander

Possibly, but now that none of them are on, I find myself craving ST and not finding any.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:56 PM   #21
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by merlin
Personally I think they've killed off star trek by flooding the tv with shows in the 90's TNG, DS9, Voyager, everytime you turned on sky1 there was three hours of fvcking star trek.....
Are you ****ting me? TNG and DS9 were highly supperior to the orignial Trek.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 05:55 PM   #22
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

You know I was really looking forward to Enterprise before it aired and then...it did and my mind just switched off.

Irony of ironies, it got cancelled and I started catching a few episodes of the last series on Sky and really started getting into it. If you take away the anal trekkies love of continuity, as a stand alone it was pretty good at the end, had a lot of potential till they had to wrap it up super quick. The characters also had a lot more realism to them than most other series.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:28 AM   #23
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I can't help but think that Star Trek peaked with DS9. The third and fourth seasons are really rather remarkable. Intense political drama interwoven with just the right amount of humor. It's quite obvious that the one and only time Trek ever dared to shift its focus to exclusively non-human characters (like the Cardassians or the Feringi) it developed some of the most remarkable stories of the entire franchise. With the introduction of Worf and the Defiant, DS9 eventually fell back into well-worn Trek conventions and the series falterd in its last two seasons and, in a way, doomed all that would follow, Voyager and most especially Enterprise.

The film news is good but the underlying foundation of Star Trek's longevity has always been on television. The films series would have died a miserable death after Final Frontier had TNG not given the franchise a much needed jolt. I just wonder what lies ahead for Trek TV.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:07 AM   #24
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

Im glad Enterprise got canned. As much as I tried I just couldn't get to like this series at all, not helped by a hotch-potch of leading characters that just don't gel with the viewing audience imho.

I know that new shows take time to bed down & find its feet: the first two or three series of ST:NG were pretty dire but you just knew they would get it right eventually, and the leads in that show were interesting and accessable.

So I was willing to give Enterprise a chance, but after the second series I just gave up hope of it ever improving and I just abandoned it.

It is true to say that for a time back in the late 90s, early 00s both the Sky channels and the UK terrestrial channels were awash with the ST, all showing concurrently almost to the point of meltdown.

DS9, Voyager, NG and Enterprise were airing almost back to back and it was becoming just too much, even for a fan.

You could also the difference in script quality of the show and how they seemed to fade over time. I think the studios were trying to milk the franchise too much and swapped quality for quantity.

Im glad they've taken a step back and given the franchise a rest. Hopefully lessons from the "Enterprise" debacle will have been learnt.

ST will almost cetainly be back, leaner, fitter and hopefully better than ever before.
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]