Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

The human adventure is just beginning. | TMP guide

Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Star Trek XI Trailer

All I can say is I am not impressed in anyway. So much for Abrams respecting and believing this fits into continuity. Yeah, maybe a parallel universe's continuity. The more I watch this, the angrier I get.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo..._trailer2.html
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:38 AM   #2
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001
Re: Star Trek XI Trailer

Who cares? It's only Star Trek. I like it. I like it and I want to see it. And what exactly is so 'out of continuity' here? The fact that Checkov is being played by an actual Russian? Or that somehow the brassieres of the future look exactly like the brassieres of today- never mind how much their design has changed in even the past few decades.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

You want out of continuity? Here goes, I'll just quote myself from an earlier ST 11 discussion.

Quote:
ST novel #44, reissued for the 40th Anniversary. Since the book was by D.C. Fontana writer and producer for TOS, I personally would consider many parts of the book canon. This book explores the events following Spock's and Scott's assignment to the Enterprise under Pike.

I've read nearly all the Star Trek novels, it can be a bit of a convoluted mess, particularly when it comes to what ships who served on, and what has been portrayed on screen. But according to www.memory-alpha.org, which has all the screen/TV facts put in order, (www.memory-beta.org contains ambiguities like non-canon, books, etc) Kirk was promoted to Captain at 31 years of age in 2264 and given command of Enterprise, with 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' occuring in early 2265. His time in Starfleet Academy would have started in 2250 and probably ended about 2254, since by 2255 Kirk had command of his first away mission on the planet Neural in 'A Private Little War.'

According to established canon, Scotty was already in Starfleet long before Spock or Kirk, beginning in 2241-2242.

Sulu was born in 2237, and was assigned to the Enterprise in 2265 as part of Astrosciences prior to moving to Ops and the helmsman position.

Ensign Pavel Chekov was born in 2245 and joined the Academy in 2263. In 2267, he must have been stationed somewhere aboard the Enterprise prior to becoming the navigator as Kahn remembered his face (ST II). Several novels support this. Since Ensign Kirk was apparently on a training mission himself on USS Republic it's entirely possible Chekov was finishing his last year of the Academy training aboard Enterprise prior to being permanantly assigned.

Uhura was born in 2239, and was assigned to the Enterprise in 2266, (The Corbomite Manuever)

McCoy was born in 2227, and if he started attending the Univ. of Mississippi at age 18, he would have received his medical degree in 2253 following four years of Pre-med and then four for Medical school. According to canon, he joined the Enterprise in 2266, replacing Mark Piper. According to the ST Concordance, his daughter Joanna was born in 2249, and the eventual bitter divorce from his wife is what led him to be commissioned in Starfleet early in the 2250's. Certain professions don't require Academy training.

According to the trilogy 'My Brother's Keeper' by Michael Jan Friedman, Gary Mitchell also served with Kirk on the USS Republic (records of Ben Finney's dereliction of duty on this ship were noted in 'Court-Martial') during their Academy years. So we should see Gary in any Academy film since Kirk and he were good friends.

The Enterprise herself was built between 2243-45, and was commanded first by Captain Robert April, before Pike commanded her between 2251-64. With Kirk being born in 2233, unless he was watching Enterprise enduring a refit rather than being built, he should have been shown at 10 watching her being built. Also since he is confirmed living on Tarsus IV when he was 13 in 2246, we have to wonder still more at the young Kirk's age when he decided to launch that vintage 300+/- year old Corvette off a cliff. Seeing this, I am led to believe that the Klingons were correct in stating that Kirk was biggest criminal ever in the history of Starfleet. That poor Corvette.

Last edited by Optimus Prime : Nov 19, 2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 05:27 PM   #4
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Oh Jesus- you're bringing the ****ing novels into all this? So how many of the movies or TV episodes reference events that happened in the novels and only in the novels? And even when it does happen, since when does this allow the novels to trump the films and TV episodes as cannon? Moreover, why should anyone care?

Perhaps you want them to take your fanfic into account too
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:39 PM   #5
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Negative, I only bring certain novels in, particularly someone's books like D.C. Fontana, who as I pointed out was a writer and producer for TOS. As for all the other facts I pointed out, they are all established on film.

And my fanfic doesn't have anything to do with Trek. It's Transformers, although....hmmm......I could...j/k LOL
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:27 PM   #6
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

The writers of the film have all been writers for a Star Trek film, giving them comparable credibility. And it is obviously not a parallel universe. Please note the conspicuous lack of goatees.
Has it ever occurred to you that James T. Kirk is a pathological liar? While his middle name is generally given as as "Tiberius," he claimed that it was "Thaddeus" on two separate occasions in TOS.

Last edited by SF_not_Sci-Fi : Nov 19, 2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:37 PM   #7
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

You'll have to refresh my memory, but I don't recall Thaddeus ever being used for his middle name. However, in the pilot episode 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' Gary Mitchell mistakenly engraved James R. Kirk on a tombstone.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:57 PM   #8
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
I don't recall Thaddeus ever being used for his middle name.
It never was as far as I know. My point is that it wouldn't really mean much if it had
Old Nov 20, 2008, 09:48 AM   #9
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

This is a decidedly different approach to Star Trek for sure. In fact, it feels more like Star Wars than Star Trek, maybe that's a good thing, maybe not. Gone is Rodenberry's Utopian, antiseptic future - here we have a 23rd century ripe with bar fights, alcoholics, muscle cars, and dirt.

I am excited about the inclusion of Lenoard Nimoy and the entire Old Spock/Young Spock story. The scene of Spock sitting with his aged mother was very moving to me for some reason - a real connection to the mythology.

As for canon - they've already tossed the fact that Kirk and crew (and the federation) don't see the Romulans until they encounter them in the original series (many years later) - there appear to be Romulans everwhere.

I am looking forward to this.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:53 PM   #10
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWiredSith
The scene of Spock sitting with his aged mother was very moving to me for some reason - a real connection to the mythology.

Actually I'm pretty sure that's Ben Cross's Sarek sitting with Amanda.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:02 AM   #11
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Curious, Den of Geek and IO9 were under the apparently false impression that said scene featured Leonard Nimoy and Winona Rider as was I, but I as admittedly just following the crowd!
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 07:45 PM   #12
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005

Well Abrahams is a fan of the ST saga and wants to retell the origins from the beginning, he even wants to respect the legacy of ST.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:07 AM   #13
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Abrams isn't a serious fan of the ST series. He's an admitted major Star Wars fan though. And he's not retelling the origins, he's rewriting them.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:33 AM   #14
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005

Oh ok, SW then.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 07:48 AM   #15
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

It's got Simon Pegg in it..... it's not going to be serious whatever script's been written.

Not that I mind Simon Pegg, but I guess it's obvious where the comic relief's gonna be coming from.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]