Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

The Ultimate Trip. | guide

Old Apr 18, 2002, 12:46 PM   #1
Ender
Wing Commander
305 flights since Apr 2002
Finally watched it

I do consider myself a sci fie fan, but as i was born a few years after the movie came out, it took me a while to get around to seeing it. Being used to the fast paced movies of the current era, it took me a while to get used to the slowness of the movie. I then consencely had to stop myself from being bored, by actually Seeing the movie. The color, the angles the perspective; the Art. I did enjoy the (obvious) novelty of absolute silence in space. But I have to admit that i was kinda stunned at the end. That - an ending? Yes, advanced tech will seem to us as magic, and you can insert here any analogy you want, but to create an incomprehencible ending just for the heck of it? I felt as though Kubrick was out of ideas and just went and did something. (Does the emperer's new clothes ring a bell here?)
Anyway, it was an experiance to watch, but sadly , i have no impulse to see it again. At least in the near future!! (sry for my terible spelling)
Ender
Ender is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2002, 12:32 PM   #2
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Finally watched it

I though the ending was excellent. It really encapsulated the entire movie. A cycle of life of sorts. That, and the fact that the music of Strauss made it all better.

I have seen the movie twice, once on tv and once on video. I too almost fell asleep, that movie takes an extreme amount of effort to watch.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 07:59 PM   #3
Autechre
Sector Marshall
734 flights since Jan 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Ender
but to create an incomprehencible ending just for the heck of it? I felt as though Kubrick was out of ideas and just went and did something. (Does the emperer's new clothes ring a bell here?)
Anyway, it was an experiance to watch, but sadly , i have no impulse to see it again. At least in the near future!! (sry for my terible spelling)
Ender

oh god...when this film came out, people said the same thing, that it was "imcomprehensible"..and im glad you siad it..cause it has proven (one of) 2001's point, that in some area's man will never evolve, and if they ever do, its because they need help..which is what you need...

Quote:
Originally posted by BalrogTim
that movie takes an extreme amount of effort to watch.

its only because you have been brainwashed by the total amount of brain candy that is around today, and that you cant be bothered to think for a change.
Autechre is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 09:39 PM   #4
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Yes this movie was a change of pace for me when I watched it 3 years ago. I was so used to all of the face paced action of the Predator, Terminator, Matrix, Star Wars and Alien movies. But after 2 times I got it and enjoyed it.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 08:15 PM   #5
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

I like what the movie is trying to say and its premise, but I hate the movie. Just reading you guys talk about it is good enough.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 02:07 AM   #6
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Just watch it a few more times Jacker and you will see that it is truly one of the greatest sci-fis ever!
Old Sep 24, 2002, 02:47 PM   #7
Charlie
Wing Commander
342 flights since Mar 2002

Bought the DVD this weekend. It has been a long time since I first saw it. It is a beautiful picture and I am still impressed by theSFX, not so much the final journey--but all that hardware floating through space looks very graceful.
Kubrick wanted his audience to experience what space could be like and he achieved it.
Charlie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 11:06 PM   #8
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Yes and I thought in relation to the space modules, ships, equipment and so on that was used, that they are all very believable and very possible to achieve if they havent already been achieved. Kudos to Kubrick.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 02:51 AM   #9
Ender
Wing Commander
305 flights since Apr 2002
Re: Re: Finally watched it

Quote:
Originally posted by Autechre

oh god...when this film came out, people said the same thing, that it was "imcomprehensible"..and im glad you siad it..cause it has proven (one of) 2001's point, that in some area's man will never evolve, and if they ever do, its because they need help..which is what you need...

its only because you have been brainwashed by the total amount of brain candy that is around today, and that you cant be bothered to think for a change.

ok fine. so how do you read it? plz tell me what the ending means in YOUR opinion? i myself of course am gorged on brain candy so i cant think anymore, so will you plz do the honors.

sometimes one must call a spade a spade. after thinking for a few months, turning it over, trying to give it meaning - i still cant. again - the imagery was breathtaking and buitifull and there were some strong moments. but yes - i guess i do need help with this one!!
Ender is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 11:03 PM   #10
Phlub
The Head Hunter

I have always thought that the ending meant or was his change from human into whatever he became afterwards.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 05:06 AM   #11
Autechre
Sector Marshall
Re: Re: Re: Finally watched it

Quote:
Originally posted by Ender
ok fine. so how do you read it? plz tell me what the ending means in YOUR opinion? i myself of course am gorged on brain candy so i cant think anymore, so will you plz do the honors.
no.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 08:20 AM   #12
Autechre
Sector Marshall
so?

you also like Alien, so it sort of cancels itself out there.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 06:39 PM   #13
Autechre
Sector Marshall

don't contradict yourself or anything..

indeed
Old Dec 21, 2003, 06:44 PM   #14
becks-orion
Cluster Admiral
1,175 flights since Oct 2003

I'm usually not one to comment..

But you guys need to grow up. Neither of you are proving anything, you just sound like a couple of teenyboppers in a pissing contest.

It's starting to get real boring now.
becks-orion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 01:05 PM   #15
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

The irony being that this constant disagreement makes for some interesting reading. If everyone was a like on their opinions, that would make for one boring world. So what if animosity some times comes out, again it makes for a better aurgument. Though if it's only about each other and not the subject a hand, as it is increasly becoming; Drone Vs the memembers of Sci Flicks. Then yes I agree with Becks, grow up.

As for 2001, awsome movie. Loved it, one of my favorites...

Last edited by Kieraganion : Dec 31, 2003 at 09:08 AM.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)