Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

The Ultimate Trip. | guide

Old Apr 28, 2002, 09:23 AM   #1
amanita virosa
Apprentice
1 flights since Apr 2002
whats the ending?

All I have is one question. At the end of 2001 dave said when he's in the pod "my god it's full of star's" however in the kubrik box set i've got he doesn't say it, please someone tell me why.
At the end the film goes all wierd, I don't remember it when i was a kid but I good have sworn it didn't go all sycadelic and we see dave growing older. Is this a directors cut? I thought it ended with it's full of stars

Thanks
amanita virosa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2002, 06:10 PM   #2
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002
Re: whats the ending?

The version I've seen(VHS, I'm not DVD enhanced yet) has Dave flying towards the monolith, not saying "My God, it's full of stars," then everything goes LSD-vision, then he goes through the stages of his life as he becomes the star child.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2002, 11:05 AM   #3
Dwayne Hicks
Wing Commander
259 flights since May 2002
Talking Re: whats the ending?

im going to get 2001 and 2010 in DVD ....finally.....
Dwayne Hicks is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2002, 09:47 PM   #4
BalrogTim
X

Am I the only person who still uses VHS's? I am the only one.... I am alone in my world of VHS'ness. It is ok, movies are still good on VHS. DVD's may be better, but they cost more, so there.
Old May 22, 2002, 08:04 PM   #5
Gugliemo
Wing Commander
246 flights since Mar 2002

I haven't seen 2001 in about 5 years and i'm not sure i've ever completley watched it from start to finish (yes, yes, all boo me ) but can somebody remind me of it, i.e. list the events from start to finish. C'mon, u know u wanna...
Gugliemo is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 09:15 PM   #6
BalrogTim
X

Boo!

I'm not going to list everything, but here is the jist.

Monolith+apes= more intelligent apes
Monolith+more intelligent apes= kick a** music
Monolith+Moon= controversy
Frank Poole+ Dave Bowman+ three scientist+ HAL= Discovery
Frank Poole- three scientists= HAL + Dave
Discovery - HAL= Dave
Dave + Monolith= LSD trip

The ending I shall not give.
Old May 22, 2002, 09:27 PM   #7
Gugliemo
Wing Commander

Thanks, that was no help at all
Old May 22, 2002, 09:38 PM   #8
BalrogTim
X

You know, you could try to be a little nicer. I took time ot of my busy posting schedule to make that up. If you can't appreciate that, maybe you shouldn't ask for help.
Old May 22, 2002, 09:54 PM   #9
Gugliemo
Wing Commander

ok, i'm sorry. Thankyou very much for that information. I'm sure somebody will find it useful. May much liquor and naked ladies fall b4 thee.
Old May 22, 2002, 09:59 PM   #10
BalrogTim
X

I don't drink. Apology accepted, though.

(And I shall take the naked women)

2001 isn't really an easy movie to understand. There are a llot of underlying themes.
Old May 22, 2002, 10:13 PM   #11
Gugliemo
Wing Commander

You dont drink??? Thou doest not deserve such scantily dressed beauties, not until your in an illegal state of mind. I'm confiscating the women until you return. Remember, rehab is for quitters!
Old May 22, 2002, 10:18 PM   #12
BalrogTim
X

Ok, I don't drink because I am only 17 and I don't think I want to throw my life away because it is 'cool.'

Since this is WAY off topic, I am going to change the subject.

Has anyone really thought about the line that Dave says?

"My God, It's Full Of Stars."
Old May 22, 2002, 10:44 PM   #13
Gugliemo
Wing Commander

Some guy on another thread was saying about how that was a secret message about full of stairs and how the monolith was a metaphore for the world trade centre. Then he started rambling on about the author being phsychic and that this was why he took his university course in advanced phychology and 2001 was secretly a total of all the other numbers minus 72 and.... I really didn't like that guy. Anyway, when does Dave say 'it's full of stars', when he looks into the monolith?
Old May 23, 2002, 06:51 AM   #14
BalrogTim
X

I disagree with the person that made those comments on the other thread. That was just babble, nonsense.

In the VHS version, he never says it. In 2010, they say that it was the last thing he transmitted back. I haven't seen the DVD, so I'm not sure if they had changed it or not.
Old May 24, 2002, 06:54 PM   #15
w@velength
Pilot
46 flights since May 2002

::sigh:: Bowman never says "My God it's full of stars!" In 2001. At the beginning of 2010 it is revealed that that is what he said before he disappeared.

I am sort of confused about this film. Was the whole mission to Jupiter because the monolith on the moon had a signal aimed at a larger one orbitting Jupiter? Or was this not revealed to Bowman until near the end when everyone was dead and HAL was shutdown? Was HAL keeping the message from Bowman? What the hell was happening at the end? He was transforming into a Starchild? What is a Starchild and why?

I've read the third book but didn't get everything... :[
w@velength is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)