Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

The Ultimate Trip. | guide

Old Apr 28, 2003, 04:22 PM   #16
Unregistered
n/a flights since
NIGHTMARE

I do not exaggerate; I have had nightmares about a remake of 2001. Who would dare??

Yet I sometimes wonder -- a "special edition" like the "Star Wars" movies. I love "2001" as it is, but I hear a lot of people, most of whom haven't seen the movie, making fun of it for being set in the year 2001, which of course came and went with no moon bases or missions to Jupiter or talking computers. Maybe just digitally change the title: "2031: A Space Odyssey" and maybe digitally alter some of the hardware to update it. Maybe? Not to "improve" the film, because the film is perfect, but to preserve its dignity in a cynical and judgmental world.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 06:09 PM   #17
arthurclarke9@msn.com
n/a flights since
the remake of 2001

to make the remake of 2001 is a most bold undertaking in much the same way as the remake of solaris.however one only has to see that version to see that great works of art are best left alone.i rest my case!
Old Jun 20, 2003, 08:36 PM   #18
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: remake announcement

Quote:
Originally posted by HighWiredSith
perhaps even a Sci-Fi channel mini-series?

Now that's not a terrible idea. But a remake of 2001? If it happens, it'll sink. It'll bomb. It'll flop. It'll do what most bad remakes do - open to an audience of a few, and make ZERO money.

I hope.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:49 AM   #19
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

*in slow mo voice* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Leave Kubricks masterpiece alone!
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 05:34 PM   #20
Hiteak42
Pilot
37 flights since May 2005
Location: A small blue and greeen planet in the far western edge of the Milky Way Galaxy revolving around the star Sol

I agree with Eyeless. There should be a remake to introduce it to another generation. Forget about remaking it, it's already perfect.
Hiteak42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:44 PM   #21
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

A remake of 2001? By Primus, NOOOOOOO!! I could see HAL being played by Haley Joel Osment next. "I'm sorry Dave, but I can't do that since I see dead people."
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 02:20 AM   #22
hamdemon
Apprentice
1 flights since Jul 2005
2001 audio commentary

Speaking of blasphemy, a guy has posted an audio commentary that syncs up with the DVD of 2001:ASO!

(OK, so it's me, check it out anyway. It's a free download.)

www.hurricaneandy.com/comment

Jorge
hamdemon is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:04 AM   #23
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

Quote:
Originally posted by HighWiredSith
I always figured that someone, someday, would make a new film version of 2001. I almost thought the guys that made 2010 would go back and do it, to better mesh with their film, but they didn't dare, and a good thing too. Make no mistake, they'll never remake Kubrik's quintessential space opera, but someone will probably go back to the original text, the Arthur C. Clarke book, and make a film that more clearly follows the story in the novel. It would be a disaster, but that never stoped anyone before.

I thought about that as I was finishing the book. I thought that a new version that imitated the book more closely would be interesting, but the director, or whomever, would have to be pretty artistically minded to pull it off.

I would hate to see Dave Bowman and the voice of HAL replaced, however. Unless they found suitable replacements, which may or may not be hard to do.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Sep 16, 2005 at 11:13 AM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:53 AM   #24
stewarde
111 flights since Jan 2005

I highly doubt Mr. Vang will be doing a remake unless I were to have some credentials flashed to me.

Furthermore why remake a classic? It's just that. Hollywood needs to get more creative and leave the classics alone.
stewarde is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:11 AM   #25
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

No thanks.

Leave 2001 alone, I don't want Hollywood getting its grubby little fingers on it, dumbing it down and generally ****ing it up with their lame profit-first bull****.

If it aint broke...........................
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)