Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

The human adventure is just beginning. | TMP guide

View Poll Results: Is star tek original movie series part Buddy movie
Yes definatly 8 61.54%
No way 2 15.38%
maybe 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 27, 2002, 05:49 PM   #1
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002
do you think?

something struck me while watching Star trek: the journey home and the motion picture.
the more i watched them the more apparent it became, the original Star Trek movies are not just Sci-fi adventure but also buddy movies, about Kirk, Mcoy and Spock's friendship.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 06:15 PM   #2
darkjedi
Sector Marshall
609 flights since Mar 2002
Re: do you think?

I think it was more than just buddies, it was like life long friends. I love Trek.
darkjedi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 08:25 PM   #3
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Yeah they were buddies. If the movie didn't show that the crew liked each other the story wouldn't progress very much. There has to be some relationship between them for the audience to feel anything for them.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 08:31 PM   #4
darkjedi
Sector Marshall

Especially between Spock and McCoy fighting all the time.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 01:02 AM   #5
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Exactly, Otherwise people would wonder who these people were and why are they doing what their doing. Almost all movies take a little bit of time to introduce you to the caractors. This is just Star Trek's way of keeping the show and still letting people who have never seen it before still get it.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 09:54 PM   #6
darkjedi
Sector Marshall

Like in VI, when that ignorant Lt Valrous tried to correct Capt. Kirk on how to exit spacedock and the whole bridge crew just looked at her waiting for her to get vaporized. Of course the horny Spock saved her ass.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 03:25 PM   #7
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

It was unique buddy trio. Kirk had very personal relationships with both McCoy and Spock. And McCoy and Spock had this love/hate relationship that made you almost feel like they competed for Kirk's friendship yet did not realize they were closer friends with each other than either one of them were with Kirk. I would have liked to see some resolution in their friendship, some fitting ending. We never see Kirk and Spocks last conversation, the last time they saw each other, nor do we see what ever happened to McCoy. We know Spock outlived them all, but never get any sense of what it must have been like for Spock to lose both of his friends. I wish VI would have involved more closure with the original crew, especially between Kirk, McCoy, and Spock.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 06:26 PM   #8
NinjaMonkey
Wing Commander
233 flights since Aug 2002

I've always loved the relationships between Spock, Kirk and McCoy. It's what makes the original cast and stories my favorite. The other Star Trek series have always been lacking in this in my opinion.

DS9 has some decent character interaction and that helps make it my favorite of the spinoff series. Enterprise does have some potential though, and none of that tekbabble.
NinjaMonkey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 09:57 PM   #9
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

Kirk, McKoy, Spock, and Scotty...
Toss in the interplays with Checkov, Sulu, Uhura, Rand, and Chappel and you had a pretty good mix.

Though you never really learn much about any of them over all that time... WHO is Uhura? Checkov? Scotty? etc... Im not sure you could fill a paragraph on any one of them for know history from the series, and little else is added in the movies...

Omega2064
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 03:23 AM   #10
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

yeah... TNG had a pile of episodes for just about every supporting character... but that is what TV writers do when they start to run out of ideas. It worked out quite well in the long run though.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 05:01 PM   #11
Ash Fan
Starfighter
67 flights since Jul 2003

Part of the joy of watching those movies for me, was watching the friendship between Kirk, Spock and Mccoy develop.
Ash Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 06:13 PM   #12
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Their special 3-way friendship was carried on from the TV-series, too, you know.

It's nice to see that you CAN all get along, no matter how green your blood is
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:47 AM   #13
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Both McCoy and Spock stopped speaking to Kirk for a while when they found out that he was a Jew though.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:59 AM   #14
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Damn it Jim, I'm a gentile.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:01 PM   #15
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Spock was Jewish too you know.

A big thank-you to Adam Sandler for pointing out all the Judaism in Hollywood - I never knew.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]