Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:29 AM   #16
The one......
Sector Marshall
600 flights since Dec 2002
Re: Books that had the largest impact on you

The Long Walk, by Richard Bachman aka Stephen King.

I dreamt of this book as I was so intensely in it. It so cleverly written to draw the reader in, to make it part of it's psychology. Without the reader it is nothing in it's truist form- you may think this of all books, but this one becomes real when you read it. You can relate to it on some level and get immensely drawn in wishing what you shouldn't be wishing and becoming one of the evil spectators.

It is clever and amazing and if you should ever read it, you will ask yourself, how could I read this amount about a mundane subject....
The one...... is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:13 AM   #17
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Not a novel, but a short story- Ursula K. LeGuin's The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 03:48 PM   #18
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

I always thought that was a non-fiction book about phobias of egg-based cooking: "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelettes"
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:17 PM   #19
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

There's that too, but the title is misleading. The author got the idea for the name from a pacific northwest road sign reading "Semttelem, O." Semettelem is a small rural community in Oregon founded by illiterate stuttering outcasts with deformed palates. They meant to call it 'settlement.' They were not very imaginative and the man they hired to make the sign wasn't too bright.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room