Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Doom (2005)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old Jul 3, 2006, 03:22 PM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Crappy Movie

Okay, I was bored, everything good was already rented, whatever - so I spring a few bucks and rent DOOM. Wasn't expecting much and I think I overexpected, set my expectations way too high. This is one of those movies that could have worked despite the nonsensical premise and lack of substance. What made it so awful was the dialogue and characters. Consider a movie that pretty much follows the same basic plot - Predator. Simple story, good guys being chased by bad guys who are superior to them in every way, blah, blah, blah - and yet Predator works in an mindless action movie kind of way - because it's got great characters. DOOM was just weird and all the characters were weird. And they should have gone ahead and called it DOOM III because it had absolutely nothing to do with the original game but instead followed the plot of DOOM III, which, face it, was a blatant rip off of Half-Life.

Bad, bad movie.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000
Re: Crappy Movie

The mistake was to expect too much. I thought it was a fun SF action movie.

Also I liked the background superhuman idea, they could have developed it further and somehow I feel there is room for a sequel.

Not that it deserves one but still it could continue according to the ending.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

The trick is to expect crap, that way, when its crap, youre not dissapointed by the crapness, and then you can say, "See, i was right!", and you get a small ego boost. Also, if it is slightly better than the dismal expectations, your not as depressed about it being crap. It works on multiple levels. That being said....the movie was utter ****. Not good. At all.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 06:42 AM   #4
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWiredSith
DOOM was just weird and all the characters were weird. And they should have gone ahead and called it DOOM III because it had absolutely nothing to do with the original game but instead followed the plot of DOOM III, which, face it, was a blatant rip off of Half-Life.

Bad, bad movie.

despite the lateness of this reply I feel the need to correct things

Half-Life
Lone scientist Gordon freeman battles aliens from the borderworld of Xen, who arrive after a resonance casscade when a science experiment with teleportation goes wrong.

Doom 1,2 and final
Teleporter experiment unleashes hell across mars, earth, causes mass panic, lone marine saves universe

Doom 3
Lone marine battles demonic forces from hell unleased by humans experimenting in teleporting technology learnt from ancient martian tablets.
Doctor betruger plans to bring the hell to earth.

Doom the movie
a group of marines battle genetically enchanced mutant super soldiers using ancient alien technology.

Yes, the similarity between doom 3 and the movie is so complete, they could have been the same thing! I think not.

and as for Doom 3 being a rip off of Half life, well since it's using a more thought out variation of the original dooms plot (which predates Half life, so in this sense Half life is ripping off Doom) this means either your trying to be funny, in which case, try again, or you weren't paying attention.

still, it is a bad movie, because no matter what the acting's like, it's not following the plot of any of the games.
movies of games, need to follow a similar (though not necessarily identical plot) to the game they are meant to be of.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 06:50 PM   #5
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies

Now how could you think that, Bob? If a movie about a game is similar to the game, then its like watching the game brought to life. And who wants to see that? Now, a movie that carries the same name as a game, but is connected in nearly no other way to said game except with the name, and filled with crap that came out of the directors "vision" of what the games could have been, thats what we need to see.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthemighty
Now, a movie that carries the same name as a game, but is connected in nearly no other way to said game except with the name, and filled with crap that came out of the directors "vision" of what the games could have been, thats what we need to see.

I don't see why not; they always do the same with books.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:21 AM   #7
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bob
despite the lateness of this reply I feel the need to correct things

Half-Life
Lone scientist Gordon freeman battles aliens from the borderworld of Xen, who arrive after a resonance casscade when a science experiment with teleportation goes wrong.

Doom 1,2 and final
Teleporter experiment unleashes hell across mars, earth, causes mass panic, lone marine saves universe

Doom 3
Lone marine battles demonic forces from hell unleased by humans experimenting in teleporting technology learnt from ancient martian tablets.
Doctor betruger plans to bring the hell to earth.

Doom the movie
a group of marines battle genetically enchanced mutant super soldiers using ancient alien technology.

Yes, the similarity between doom 3 and the movie is so complete, they could have been the same thing! I think not.

and as for Doom 3 being a rip off of Half life, well since it's using a more thought out variation of the original dooms plot (which predates Half life, so in this sense Half life is ripping off Doom) this means either your trying to be funny, in which case, try again, or you weren't paying attention.

still, it is a bad movie, because no matter what the acting's like, it's not following the plot of any of the games.
movies of games, need to follow a similar (though not necessarily identical plot) to the game they are meant to be of.

Aliens/Monsters run amuck in a science facility - general idea of Half-Life, general idea of DOOM III.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWiredSith
Aliens/Monsters run amuck in a science facility - general idea of Half-Life, general idea of DOOM III.

and the general idea of the original doom, quake and several other games, but doom was the first of the bunch to do it, the only game before it was wolfenstien 3d, but that featured nazi's and such.

Doom is still the original monsterous alien creature running amuck game.
Doom - 93,
Half life - 98.

so in that very narrow and specific monster running amuck in a science facility, half life is still the rip. good game, but still.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:41 AM   #9
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

like most game-to-film transitions I knew Doom would fall flat on its ass, just like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill and all the other great-game/****e-movie migrations.

I don't know what goes through the minds of the requisite directors/screen-writers: they just grab the name and then make up a totally different story that bares little or no relation to the original game. And then the studios wonder why the film bombed!
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies

Silent Hill fell on its ass? That movie was great. Youre dumb!

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Doom (2005)