Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Mar 24, 2004, 06:06 PM   #31
Autechre
Sector Marshall
734 flights since Jan 2002
Re: Vampiric Flops and Flights: Underworld, Queen of the Damned

not as good as the howling? - erm,
Autechre is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 07:47 PM   #32
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

To me, The Howling is the superior film. More straight-forward, doesn't try too hard to be something it's not.

Company is still great, though.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 12:23 AM   #33
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002

Lost Boys is still my favorite vampire movie. I loved the dark, macabre aspect of it. The music worked better in that movie than it did in Queen of the Damned.

The acting in Lost Boys was better too, Keifer Sutherland once again working his magic.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 02:22 AM   #34
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Keifer may be an excellent actor, but can we really forgive 'Lost Boys for the Corey twins?
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 01:00 PM   #35
Autechre
Sector Marshall

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwata
To me, The Howling is the superior film. More straight-forward, doesn't try too hard to be something it's not.

thats becuase it really isn't anything..its essentially an unnecessary pointless film; if you have AWIL, then it dosen't need to exist in my opinion. It did nothing but spoil the effects that were to come in AWIL by ripping them off, and releasing their film first.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 01:04 PM   #36
Iwata
Autarch

I don't think one film invalidates the other. There are few cases in which a film renders another unnecessary, and that's remakes and rip-offs.

I don't really see The Howling as a rip-off of AWIL, in fact, they're totally disticnt, and can (and should) be enjoyed as such.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 01:14 PM   #37
Autechre
Sector Marshall
well

Actually, its a direct rip-off. Rob Bottin and Rick Baker were working on the effects together before both films were finished. Bottin basically stole his ideas, and they released the film before American Werewolf... Landis was apparently furious.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 01:35 PM   #38
Iwata
Autarch

I did not know that. But aside from effects (which I must say, I really can't see the similarities), what else was "ripped-off"?
Old Mar 27, 2004, 01:38 PM   #39
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by mack

But what do I know? I'm not an Anne Rice reader, I'm a Laurell K. reader.

I was a Laurell K reader until Narcisuss in Chains, I've not read the one that comes after yet, as NiC was AWFUL Which is a pity, as up until then, Laurell K had the series down perfectly (except for the odd looong paragraph describing clothes )

I liked Underworld, but I don't think I'll be seeing it again, it's a nice watch-once film. I HATED the werewolf transformation scenes, unrealistic effects imho. The plot was ... ok

Queen of the Damned ... ackh ... good soundtrack, but god-awful film. Lestat wasn't Lestat, and the acting was dodgy at best. The actual filmmaking wasn't very inspiring either. Interview all the way!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:53 AM   #40
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Splendi--
I thought it was getting a little twisted and dark (could it get anydarker?) round about NIC.-----but what turned you off?
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 08:33 AM   #41
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
I HATED the werewolf transformation scenes

That was actually the only part I liked, other than the way they absorbed impact when they jumped. That got old fast though. I liked the transformations, and the wolves themselves, but for the rest, I think Rod Hilton said it all.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 08:40 AM   #42
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by mack
Splendi--
I thought it was getting a little twisted and dark (could it get anydarker?) round about NIC.-----but what turned you off?

Mack : The gratuitous sex for no reason other than to have gratiuitous sex. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude, and there's more than a bit of gratuitous sex in the previous books ... but ... this just seemed pointless. After the previous book's insight's into Edward, this book seemed empty except for violence, peversion and sex. Which is nice in a book, sometimes but rather more than was necessary here.

Plus the story was a bit dull
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 04:47 PM   #43
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous

Mack : The gratuitous sex for no reason other than to have gratiuitous sex. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude, and there's more than a bit of gratuitous sex in the previous books ... but ... this just seemed pointless. After the previous book's insight's into Edward, this book seemed empty except for violence, peversion and sex. Which is nice in a book, sometimes but rather more than was necessary here.

Plus the story was a bit dull

I have to agree with you on that point----this one was a little more perverted than the others, without reason, of course. Which is why I told Tusk that she is becoming Meredith Gentry of the Fae (which is her other series-->lots of gratuitous, unenjoyable sex). Maybe she needed to reestablish the kinkiness of the series after the touchy-feelt, warm-fuzy Edward book. Anyway, I havent read on since NIC--->after that whole Asher issue, it started getting weird. . .
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 06:55 PM   #44
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Queen of the Damned sucked for a very good reason. Their rights to film it were expiring and fast after sitting on the project for god knows how long, so rather than loose it they rushed out a botched job on a very limited budget. I did like Townsend as Lestat though, in some scenes he had far more charimsa and animalistic grace than Tom Cruise has in his finger nail (like the guy, but he ain't no Lestat).

Underworld was crap, the only thing it had going for it was the scenery and gothic look (which I loved), the main drawbacks were an utter lack of chemistry, they had a decent story but somehow it was just lacklustre when it was executed etc etc etc And god knows what they were thinking with the big blue thing at the end.

Great vampire films? There aren't any, not like there are books, but there are many fun filled rides (Dusk til Dawn, Lost Boys - which I will love forever, Blade, heck even Shadow of a Vampire is more interesting than Underworld, etc). I personally hate the sf vampire, arising from a blood disorder (could just about cope with Blade). Bram Stoker's Dracula which should have been stunning, (visually is) was still unfortunatly flat, but then both Winnona and Keanu don't exactly do character depth for the most part (well Winnona does problem is she only does "one" character depth). Interview with a Vampire, I didn't read the books til many years after, but even the first time I watched it felt more like watching a glossed up ego trip than anything else, it is a beautiful film but it isn't a great one.

Werewolves never really been my thing because of precisely them being portrayed as just monsters and having little else to the story - not hard to fall into when you consider their appearance in comparison to vampires. Yeah AWIL bores the crap out of me but will admit has the best visual incarnation of a werewolf. The werewolf films I do like generally have more going for them than just a werewolf going nuts ie Ginger Snaps (black humour, female power), Dog Soldiers (brit humour, underdogs).
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 03:05 AM   #45
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

I have a confession to make.

I thought Dog Soldiers was...okay. I have it on video, but I've only watched it once...
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy