Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ]

From "12 Monkeys" to "Explorers"...

Old Sep 21, 2004, 06:02 PM   #46
Quintessa
Sector Marshall
875 flights since Jul 2004
Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Series)

Basically,

A girl finds out she is a super hero, and then saves the world numerous times, with random obstacles in every episode with some sex.
Quintessa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 07:41 PM   #47
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

... Aaaand in the meantime, sets out to deconstruct gender roles, promote the concept of fluid sexuality, mock organised religion (In particular monotheism) and change the entire concept of feminism...

Aaaaand has some very fun violence, humour and yet managed to be the only television show I have ever seen that would have happily concluded with the gleeful suicide of the heroine.

Aaaaand during season 3, not only did it manage to get away with intentionally implying that our All American 17 year old blond heroine may just be attracted to a member of the same gender, it went on to turn our Buffy into a brutal would-be murderer.

And people compare it to ****ing Charmed. Argh!
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 08:44 PM   #48
Quintessa
Sector Marshall

Well, they both have women that.... help... things?

And all that other stuff you said can be added to my above post.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:07 PM   #49
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Quote:
Well, they both have women that.... help... things?

I can't put my finger on whether it's the phrasing, or the delivery, or what, but for some reason that post sent me into seizures of laughter and I spilled tea all over my hands. Now my typing speed is severely reduced, but it was worth it...

To me, Charmed, and Xena, etc... are all just as exploitative and stoopid as the original Charlies Angels, or Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town or something. There's nothing wrong with it, if that's your bag - I have been known to thoroughly enjoy Charlies Angels, but Buffy just has a depth that few other shows - those with fantasy elements or not - could ever achieve. 6 years, and about 200 views after I first saw it, I just watched Innocence, and I'm sitting here right now, and I can still feel that ... I can't describe it, it's like sitting next to a heavy bass speaker or something, but it's there and with the exception of an occasional episode of ER, television just doesn't get a physical response from me like that.

Among it's lesser crimes, Charmed is stagnant. The characters just do something slightly different every week, lather rinse repeat. But Buffy never laid down, or followed it's own conventions. It came close in Buffy's 3rd year (And recognised that in The Zeppo) even then the characters all had massive character development.

I think I'll go and watch Becoming. I'm in the mood for some deep heartsick, pain. Come on Buffy, don't fail to emotionally devastate me now...

So my question is... what's your favourite season?

Last edited by jill_valentine : Sep 21, 2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:21 PM   #50
Quintessa
Sector Marshall

Quote:
stoopid

I don't know why, it may ave had something to do with the phrasing, or maybe the spelling, but that word just sent me into ect...

As for my favorite season, I caught on late.

I watched most of the episodes about a million times, but they were basically all reruns when I saw them, except the very last season. That was the season of which I saw when it was new.

Oh, and that was the season I failed to see a couple of episodes.

I really don't have a chronological order by season, but I can tell you some main events.

Buffy burns down gym of home town... dies... lives... dies... lives...

and a couple of other things I am too tired to write.

I know it, but I didn't really watch it in the normal way.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:51 PM   #51
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Jill's handy dandy timeframe reference.

S1. Buffy comes to Sunnydale. Eventually chooses to be a hero.

Scooby Gang-
Buffy, Xander, Willow, Giles, Angel, Willow, Jenny*, Cordelia*.

Big Bad Guy -
The Master - Nosferatu style vampire.

S2. Buffy has to grow up fast.

Scooby Gang-
Buffy, Xander, Willow, Giles, *Angel, *Jenny, Cordelia, Oz.

Big Bad Guys-
Spike, Drusilla...and of course, the other guy. Whoa.

S3. Buffy loses the last of her innocence, and graduates.

Scooby Gang-
Buffy, Xander, Giles, Willow, Angel, Cordelia, Oz, Wesley*, *Faith.

Big Bad Guys-
Mr. Trick, The Mayor, Faith*.

S4. Buffy goes to college.

Scooby Gang-
Buffy, Xander, Willow, Giles, Riley, Tara, Anya, Spike.

Big Bad Guys-
The Initiative Army blokes. Adam the hybrid. Boredom. And briefly, but brightly, Faith.

S5. The meaning of life is Death.

Scooby Gang-
Buffy, Xander, Willow, Giles, *Riley, Dawn, Tara, Spike, Anya.

Big Bad Guys-
Glory the Hellgod. Gravity and the fast approaching tarmac.

S6. Magic is drugs. Stupid ****ing season.

Scooby Gang-
Buffy, Xander, Willow, Dawn, *Giles, *Tara, Spike, Anya.

Big Bad Guys-
The nerds (Warren, Johnothan, Andrew), Dark Phoenix.

S7. Buffy discovers that being a leader means being a big *****.

Scooby Gang-
Buffy, Xander, Willow, Giles, Dawn, Spike, Anya, Faith*, Kennedy*, Andrew* lots of disposable potential slayers, Robin Wood.

Big Bad Guys-
The First, and Caleb. The Lord of the Rings.

Season 3 is the most consistently good, I think. There's hardly a weak episode in it, and Earshot (Buffy hears voices) is fantastic. The S3 cast was the best it ever got, so even a weak plot was raised a little bit higher. But on the other hand, Season 2 was utterly, utterly devastating. It did have some very crap episodes, but the final two episodes of that season changed my view of what television could be forever...

Warn me if I get too nerdy, by the way...
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:09 PM   #52
Quintessa
Sector Marshall

Seasons that weren't quite good as a whole

Four and up.

Baddies-

s4
The initiative was okay, and I liked the calling of the first. I didn't like the fact that it was a recurring theme throught he next couple of seasons. IT was okauy. Now... not so much.

s5
The whole glory ect thing really really suck. The best thing was when Buffy killed herself. That isn't spite either.

s6
I am agreeing with you on the sixth season being the worst. The nerds as the worst villain? Need I say more?

s7
This actually wasn't that bad a season in terms of baddies, however I think it was a little hodge podge. Look, there is this undefeatable thing, and guess what? you guys are ginna defeat it! The seasons were trying to outdo each other.

I liked season 1-3, but I guess I like them in this order.

1. Season 1.
I liked this one the most, because it is a great season. It introduces things, and really starts off to a good baddie.

2. Season 3.
This was the best season if you just compare them, but I favored the first, simply because it was first, and introduced just about everything. Just about the best plot of all the seasons, includding the baddies.

3. Season 2.
This one had a pretty good plot, but I really liked the whole spike thing.

By the way, nerds rock. You could never be too nerdy by the way. There is no such thing as too much of good. Oh, I was rooting for the nerds in season 6...

Heheh.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 05:57 PM   #53
Drone
Sector Marshall
584 flights since Jun 2002

i alittle late but:
this sum it up?
"Charmed ****ing blows. End of story." - a kid i know guess the quote
Drone is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 09:36 PM   #54
Quintessa
Sector Marshall

Hm, was it...

YOU?
Old Sep 23, 2004, 02:04 PM   #55
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Quote:
this sum it up?
"Charmed ****ing blows. End of story." - a kid i know guess the quote

Beautfully put. Stupid charmed.

Argh, my current Buffy riff is showing no signs of stalling... I'm getting the urge to do something Buffy-related and expensive... (*Shakes*)

And Drone? I completely know that feeling... I hate those bastards that hog the TV... leaves me really bitter for days when somebody does that... stupid people...
Old Sep 23, 2004, 02:15 PM   #56
Quintessa
Sector Marshall

Especially when that person just so happens to be your father who states he is the adult, and there fore gets to watch golf.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 03:57 PM   #57
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Stupid adults... Jesus, I keep forgetting I'm 19...

Anyway... vaguely OT, there's a rather shaky rumour that WB are going to pick up Tru Calling. Permit me to exude Dubious Rays. No way. About as likely as the other "Sarah Michelle Gellar to play Sabrina" rumour....
Old Sep 23, 2004, 05:41 PM   #58
Quintessa
Sector Marshall

If the wb does that I am going to kill myself (not really, but I do not have the stuff right now to go off).

Tru calling for angel?

NO WAY!

Angel was a million times better than tru calling.

God!
Old Sep 24, 2004, 03:36 AM   #59
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Charmed = Alyssa Milano + Shannon Dougherty ( - Piper)

Charmed = Wussy, Pansy men.

Charmed = sucks.

Do the math.

Although I confess I enjoyed watching Shannon Dougherty make an ..a fool of herself in public again. The BTS histrionics kept me titallated. Ah, the good ole days! The moment she left the show, it got boring. (no offense Red Lips!)
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:57 AM   #60
Quintessa
Sector Marshall

titallated

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anyways, we all know that charmed sucks it was a little okay in the beginning but it sucks.

And that wussy, pansy men?

That is the best description I have heard in years.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ]