Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Oct 20, 2004, 02:52 PM   #61
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Re: Book Tab

Quote:
Also been browsing through the 'Colonial Marines technical Manual'. But then, I'm always doing that.

Good book.

I especially enjoy the Weyland-Yutani meeting transcripts in the end and the several rumours of what really happened at Hadley's Hope spread around the book.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 03:42 PM   #62
Autechre
Sector Marshall
734 flights since Jan 2002

those aren't writers, they're compulsive typists
Autechre is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 03:57 PM   #63
Iwata
Autarch

I assume you're refering to any book not starting with the title "Flefinglness does branblington to furfralfell."
Old Oct 20, 2004, 04:12 PM   #64
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

I'm currently reading Tom Clancy's "Rainbow Six". I'm almost halfway done with it. It's a good book, but I wouldn't call it great or anything like that. I mean, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy military fiction, and Clancy is great with details, but the characters are just not interesting. I'm reading these names, but I have nothing to associate them with. No face. No personality. No feelings. ANd I don't mean just the terrorists either, I mean everybody, even the "good guys". And I'm also kind of pissed at the way Clancy portrays the women in his book.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 04:14 PM   #65
Iwata
Autarch

What?

First, the characters in Rainbow Six, such as "Ding" Chavez and Clark, have already been more than explored in the other books, and second, what's wrong with the women?

Rainbow Six is my favourite Clancy book, a little notch above Red Storm Rising.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 04:22 PM   #66
Lt_Johnny_Rico

I just get annoyed at how the women in his book all seem to be a bunch of bleeding hearts or pyscho environmentalists who want to exterminate the human race. I do take back what I said for some of the other characters, however, since I didn't read some of Clancy's earlier work, so I guess I can't really comment on them.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 03:51 AM   #67
merlin
n/a flights since

Im reading Fleshmarket Close by Ian Rankin at the moment about an Edinburgh cop, I love his books as i know the places he talks about. The only downside is that i really miss Edinburgh.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 01:28 PM   #68
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

This season, I have mostly been reading ... Heretic, by Bernard Cornwell. It's the third book in the Grail Quest series I've been raving about recenly, and I'm suire the grail is going to turn up any page now
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 03:33 PM   #69
Diz
Starfighter
143 flights since Oct 2004

Quote:
The next book I shall be reading is 'The Dark tower' by Stephen King, the last in this most spendid series.

Ok, I lied, I'm reading "Hatful of sky" by Terry Pratchett. Stephen King next tho, honest.
Diz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 04:29 PM   #70
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

Last book : Jingo
next book: the fifth elephant
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 07:33 PM   #71
Cricketlighter
Pilot
19 flights since Aug 2004

I am sorry to say I have so little time to read anything but what is required at school. I am very swamped with this. Now we are reading the "Fireside" poets such as Longfellow.
Cricketlighter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 03:42 AM   #72
Wachesaw
Wing Commander
428 flights since Mar 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Lt_Johnny_Rico
I'm currently reading Tom Clancy's "Rainbow Six". I'm almost halfway done with it. It's a good book, but I wouldn't call it great or anything like that. I mean, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy military fiction, and Clancy is great with details, but the characters are just not interesting. I'm reading these names, but I have nothing to associate them with. No face. No personality. No feelings. ANd I don't mean just the terrorists either, I mean everybody, even the "good guys". And I'm also kind of pissed at the way Clancy portrays the women in his book.

i suspect tom clancy has got downs syndrome, "clear and present danger" is hilariouslyfunnyfrom page 23 onward...
Wachesaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 07:02 AM   #73
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Wachesaw
i suspect tom clancy has got downs syndrome, "clear and present danger" is hilariouslyfunnyfrom page 23 onward...

Oh GOD that made my morning! *falling over keyboard laughing*
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 03:30 PM   #74
Lt_Johnny_Rico

Quote:
Originally posted by mack

Oh GOD that made my morning! *falling over keyboard laughing*

I don't get it...
Old Nov 7, 2004, 03:01 AM   #75
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

Im a big 2000ad fan and have been collecting the comic since i was knee high so i read one of the novels entitled Black Atlantic it was pretty good but could have been a bit more realistic and not relying too much on the comic speak as such.
merlin is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room