Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Nov 7, 2004, 03:15 AM   #76
Diz
Starfighter
143 flights since Oct 2004
Re: Book Tab

Just recieved the final installment of Stephen King's Dark Tower in the post yesterday.
Diz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 07:10 AM   #77
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Started reading Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" again last night.

God, I missed that book. One of my favourites, and it always reminds me what a missed opportunity the movie was.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 08:33 AM   #78
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

I've been meaning to get that. I hear it goes into a lot more detail than the movie did.

I've Almost finished Journey Into The Void, Sovergn Stone Trilogy book 3. After that I am going to read Abarat, a book by Clive. I know it's young adult, but this book has been getting awesome reviews. Besides, you don't need sexuality and violence, aka adult content, to make a good book.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 02:59 PM   #79
mackie
n/a flights since

just got Marque and Reprisal by E. Moon at B&N a few days ago. I get the impression girlfriend runs into a little problem with authority. My kind of woman.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 07:23 PM   #80
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

Just finished "Dracula" by Bram Stoker. Very excellent.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 09:33 PM   #81
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Last book I read was Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. As a novel, it's horrible. Characters are paper thin, the science is extremely dodgy, the dialogue is painful and the characters alternate between plot-servingly retarded and suddenly superhumanly observant. (The lead character comes across as a tweed wearing John McClane) Women are treated not unlike in an Alistair Maclean book: Apparently smart and attractive, but utterly useless, with a tendency to fall over/ get trapped/ kidnapped at inopportune times. And the book jumps the shark completely with a ridiculous sequence involving bombs, jumping out of a helicopter and a superhero pope.

But, the actual symbology and manipulation of the Illuminati/ Vatican myth is fascinating. It's easier to read if you just accept that the characters, plot and events are just a means for the writer to explain things. The dodgy dialogue is not unlike those talking head radio ads where one person asks stupid questions solely to allow the other person to talk about the product. I had exactly the same griipe about the DaVinci Code - horribly written, clever ideas.

Currently reading Robert Harris' Pompeii. Good so far, but I keep getting distracted when I remember that despite all the modern language, all the characters are wearing togas.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 07:04 AM   #82
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Since reading the last book in Bernard Cornwell's magnificent Grail series (Harlequin, Vagabond and Heretic) I've mostly been ,milling around, trying to tidy my room and decide what to read next. I have loads of books I've not read yet, but I can't bring myself to read any of them

Is this the first step in the dumbening of Splend? What do you mean not the first step?!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 02:23 PM   #83
Diz
Starfighter
143 flights since Oct 2004

Finished the Dark Tower by Stephen King, what can I say? The guy's a genius.

Despite the series being seven novels long and this last book having nearly 700 pages, I still felt the ending was rushed.
Roland's final confrontation with the Crimson King was certainly a let down, although his assent into the dark tower and what he finds at the top, I think, was the only way it could have ended.
At first I was annoyed that King put himself intothe novel as a character, it totally smacked of self indulgence of the worst kind, but having read on I feel that it was justified and was an integral part of the story. And it was interesting, the way it all linked in with many of his other books, most notably Salems Lot , The Stand and Insomnia.
SPOILER ALERT:
I think Susannah's ending was a total cop out, because he'd already killed off Eddie and Jake, and fearing the Wrath of the fans, he gave them back to her. Roland's quest was all about how much he would sacrifice to reach his goal and fulfil his destiny, the very thing that made the circle of Ka begin again each time. His possible redemption on the next turn of the wheel came from his saving of THE ARTIST, not Susannah. But at least King stopped short of giving her her legs back, I think that he considered it, and the artist could have accompished it within the plot, thank God he didn't do that. One of the things I like about King's work is his willingness to kill off main characters, Nick Andros' death in The Stand for example. But his treatment of Susannah just wasn't up to his usual standard.
Having said all that it was, an is a remarkable series amd anyone who likes King's work should defineately read them. But here's a tip, start at the beginning....!
Diz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 02:38 PM   #84
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by jill_valentine
a superhero pope

*Chuckles.*
I'm sorry. Reading that part just reminded me of the kung fu-fighting priest in Dead Alive.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 03:05 PM   #85
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

Just finished Abarat, now on to the second book.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 04:53 PM   #86
Iwata
Autarch

Well, the "Zombie Survival Guide" came in the mail today with Romero's "The Crazies" DVD, so I'll start reading it as soon as I'm finished with "Starship Troopers", which should be by tomorrow.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 07:25 AM   #87
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I want the zombie survival guide! I saw that in Waterstones! I want to be prepared!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 07:34 AM   #88
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

I am now mostly reading "Fatherland" by Robert Harris.

I'm sure I've read it before - but can't remember it.
And I've never seen the film. Wanted to, but never gotten round to it.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 04:24 PM   #89
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Recently read Bill Bryson's Brief History of Nearly Everything. Very good, though it does come across as more of a history of scientists rather than science itself. Reminded me why I used to love dinosaurs so much, and also that the expansion of scientific knowledge was almost entirely dependant on completely mad bastards.

Just got The Zombie Survival Handbook, and it's always nice to have proof that you aren't the only one who radically overthinks ludicrously unlikely possibilities. The book I'm currently reading though, is the fascinating and terrible History of Torture. I forget the author's name. So far, I'm only as far as the Inquisition, guy's who really did take their job seriously. Next book purchase is probably gonna be The Malleus Maleficarum, because I'm curious as to how anybody could find a theological justification for what was done.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 05:50 PM   #90
Iwata
Autarch

I'm currently reading "Beyond the Rhine: A Screaming Eagle in Germany", the 4th and final volume in the memoirs of an american paratrooper fighting in WWII.

Very good book, and a favourite of both Eisenhower and Ambrose.

Reding how he watched his two best friends being killed in a couple of seconds apart from each other is but one of the many powerfull scenes in this book, that really helps to put our daily grievances to perspective.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room