Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old May 16, 2006, 03:57 PM   #16
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003
Re: avvy's

Yes it is - which leads to an interesting point. Whether Ramses is updating the vBulletin (which means all sorts of exciting things) or he's adding in his own stuff (oooh the thrill of the illicitly unknown).

I would have thought the av size thingy should be changeable in this version though.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 07:19 AM   #17
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

<<crosses fingers and hopes>>

Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 11:51 PM   #18
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Call me old fashioned,

but I'm pretty dang thrilled with the avatars being the size they are.

Too much bigger and they start to become standoutish, I'm for keeping them as they are.

Last edited by Phlub : May 30, 2006 at 06:38 AM.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 03:54 AM   #19
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

You're old-fashioned

And apparently also enjoy squinting at the screen to see the tiny avatars. Having a 64x64 size limit seriously limits the choice of decent avatars you can have - some pictures that look fine at 100x100 (or even 80x80) just look plain awful at 64x64.
Old May 30, 2006, 06:38 AM   #20
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

I disagree completely, there are other sports and political forums I post at occasionally and all have much larger than 64x64 avvies, and they become a nuisance because they are too big.

And nothing is limited as long as you have photoshop and resize the picture in accordance with its preset dimensions.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 07:41 AM   #21
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

So ... three against, and three for, and one abstention ...

The cause is still alive!

<<waves "100x100 Avs" flag>>

Old May 30, 2006, 03:02 PM   #22
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

64x64 sized avatars, are old fashion, like 600x400 resolution, and both look cruddy.

100x100 for the future!
a brighter future
with clearer avatars
that have more detail
that don't look squashed!

Viva la revolution!
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 03:34 PM   #23
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

I mean, look at poor Marvin there! You can barely tell what he is!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 07:11 PM   #24
Ramses
Administrator
209 flights since Jul 2000

Overall internet connection speed improves, and so should SciFlicks. As many pilots suggested above, we could go for a trade-off: larger avatars (size and weight), smaller/minimalist signatures. It could work fine, as long as the avatars are static (animated ones are too often obnoxious without being much more informative).

We may also look into lowering the required threshold for custom avatars; while I do understand that it was a hard-earned delicacy for 1000+ flights pilots, it is my sincere hope that this elite squad does not feel offense in allowing junior pilots (but not rookies) gain visual independence as well.
Ramses is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 07:23 PM   #25
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

It's odd, but I only just realised - very rarely has a member here gone for an animated avatar. I had an Invader Zim avatar animated once (trimmed down to acceptable size by Becks Orion, for which I'm still very grateful ), and I think Jacker had one for a short while, but I think that's it. I think no one would miss the option of having an animated avatar.

I'll have to find a smaller ice-cream tub for Seraph, though
Old Jun 6, 2006, 07:28 PM   #26
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Sounds good to me. The animated thing never has been used much here. As foir smaller sigs, not a bad idea, I remember we used to have alot of memeber with gigantic sigs at one point. As for letting the elite core members get custom avvys, thats cool. some people just dont have 1000 posts in them yet stay on the site for years.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 08:28 PM   #27
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004

I agree with most of the points here, especially over the smaller sig size. I've seen a few sigs around where I've had to scroll down half the page to get past them.

I wouldn't mind larger avatars, but I don't mind the size at the moment either. *pets her beautiful Milla*

Also, just a suggestion, I'm not sure if you can do it on this forum but I belong to another forum where your signature only shows up on the last post of the page that you've posted on- all of your other posts don't have a signature on them.

Perhaps that reduces bandwidth or file size or something, I'm not sure. The forum I'm referring to is extremely large (millions of members).
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:28 AM   #28
Ramses
Administrator
209 flights since Jul 2000

As agreed, avatar size has been upgraded to from 64x64 to 100x100 and maximum weight has been brought up from 5kb to 14kb. Rejoice!
Ramses is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:31 AM   #29
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Huzzah! 3 cheers!
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 01:12 PM   #30
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002

I was wondering about why I wasn't able put up an animated avatar. Now I have my answer and agree with it.
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems