Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Sep 4, 2005, 02:57 PM   #16
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Lost- you are watching it right?

What a great show - can't wait to see Season Two.

My favourite is Charlie. He's just like me - funny, a Mancunian and he even has the same first name.

I'm not musically talented or a junkie though.

My favourite episode was episode eight, Confidence Men - so, so good to see that ****er Sawyer suffer like that.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:39 PM   #17
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Wachesaw
Another really cool thing with the show is the fact that on a desert island far from civilization,everyone still has lovely white shiny teeth.

Yeah, there was a piece in The Times' style supplement about how Lost should launch it's own brand of haircare products too. Wet hair that never dries frizzy. Unwashed for days, but never gets greasy. And then they make a case for the idea that Evangeline Lilly got a role entirely based on her "heroine hair" - strong brunette with hints of chestnut vulnerability, too wholesome looking for us to suspect anything. I didn't think anybody on the planet would bother over-analysing the hair of TV show, but there you are.

Speaking of Lilly, anybody see her on Conan O' Brien? The most awkward interview I've seen this side of Richard Madeley. Didn't even know Canadians used the word Knickers...

Quote:
Originally posted by NeXus_6
What a great show - can't wait to see Season Two.

My favourite is Charlie. He's just like me - funny, a Mancunian and he even has the same first name.

I'm not musically talented or a junkie though.

My favourite episode was episode eight, Confidence Men - so, so good to see that ****er Sawyer suffer like that.

Aw... poor Saywer. He's not that bad.

Oh, wait. Yes he is. Git.

It's driving me nuts having to wait every week. I don't have broadband to download, and now I hear that the DVD boxset will not only be delayed, it's going to be released in two parts. GLAAGH!
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 04:34 PM   #18
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Quote:
Originally posted by jill_valentine
It's driving me nuts having to wait every week. I don't have broadband to download, and now I hear that the DVD boxset will not only be delayed, it's going to be released in two parts. GLAAGH!

Do you have a multi-region DVD player? I imported the region one boxset and have now seen them all. Also, it doesn't come in two parts, which is nice.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 03:18 PM   #19
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002

The pilot was really good, then I had to do something while I was in the middle of watching it. Then I didn't bother start watching it all the way through.

Almost like 4400 which I stopped watching after the 3rd episode of the second season. It's the little, tiiny wiiny cliche things that make it unbearable it for me to really enjoy something as fresh and good as this.
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 05:00 PM   #20
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

Whilst working in Australia, I managed to watch a lot of the series before returning to the UK only to find it starting about 2 weeks after I got back. So now I'm having to wait until we get to where I was up to Down Under.

It gets good though so it's worth it
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 04:45 PM   #21
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Quote:
Originally posted by NeXus_6

Do you have a multi-region DVD player? I imported the region one boxset and have now seen them all. Also, it doesn't come in two parts, which is nice.

Don't have a multi-region I'm afraid, and I can't be bothered messing with my PC DVD player until I do... So I'm just gonna live with the split set.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 06:31 PM   #22
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

UK DVD is in two installments? What IS this? First Doctor Who and now this? What, are they trying to squeeze every last penny or what? I just don't see the bloody point of this at all!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 07:10 PM   #23
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The region 1 set is all in one piece, R2 is split in two. Given Lost's extraordinary success, they can more or less guarantee that even if we've all seen it on TV, we'll run out to buy the DVD. However, watching the show on DVD would be so much less annoying than sitting through all those evil ads (In Ireland, the first batch of O2 sponsor ads were so infuriating they were changed after complaints).

I guess they reckon that releasing it in two parts strikes a balance between A) Making everybody do what Nex did and B) Ignoring the broadcasts altogether and holding out for the boxset. This way we pay for both ads, and two boxsets. Hurrah!

EDIT: More I think about it, more tempting Nex's plan gets. What's the simplest way to Region X-ify my ass without buying a new player?

Last edited by jill_valentine : Sep 7, 2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 04:27 AM   #24
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Apparently there's a doodah you can install that lets you switch your PC DVD player region an unlimlimited number of times. Only downside is you can only watch your lovely new DVD boxset on your computer

And as for sponser ads ... if I have to see te 118 188 people one more time I swear I'm going back tothe seventies and elmimating that hair and mustache style from time.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 03:31 PM   #25
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous
Only downside is you can only watch your lovely new DVD boxset on your computer

You can buy a signal sender to send the picture from your PC to your TV.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 05:02 AM   #26
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Quiet, you! How dare you attempt to prove me wrong! I am NEVER wrong!!!

Except on the occasions when I'm not correct
Old Sep 9, 2005, 09:24 AM   #27
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

I am clevererer, clevererer than thou!!!

(although my knowledge comes from stacking shelves next to the electrical section of my local supermarket at night)
Old Sep 9, 2005, 09:56 AM   #28
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Do you know if your player is hackable? Also, if you have a PS2, there's a doodah you can buy for that too, I think.

You know, I hate to say it, but I think the UK might be greedier than the Americans. Their Miami Vice: Season One boxset is three discs...ours is seven!
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:07 AM   #29
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I've queued it up in NetFlix (never seen it before) and it's in Very Long Wait status. That's the first time I've seen that status, must be a popular show.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:53 AM   #30
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

So popular that I understand it's now killing Desperate Housewives as most popular show in the world this year...

To be honest, a signal sender sounds like too much hassle if I just want to shove in a DVD, and my Dvd player isn't a big brand, so it's unlikely that there's an easy-peasy step by step guide for it on the net. My PS2... I could look into getting a Region X disc for it, I guess.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum